Water Proofing PaperPatch Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themoose

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips for waterproofing paperpatching bullets? Not sure the gerbils are running fast enough, but I just wondered how one would handle using paperpatch bullets in wet weather... I know the obvious answer would be to keep them in a dry container, which I do... but you had no alternative to load or reload in wet weather is there some sort of liquid, paste or wax that could be applied to keep the paper and accuracy intact?

Never thought of that. Beeswax waterproofs boots. If it was me i'd just be real careful loading. Shield the process with my jacket.

As a fly fisherman, my first thought was the floatant we use to float dry flies, but i'm not sure how it would mix with the powder you use?

I'm thinking it would be best to use something that would not soak thru the paper...just cover the outside... I do use double wrap onion skin paper... perhaps something like a spray on plastic coating... perhaps cover the paper, let dry, then cut on template...wrapping with plastic covered area on the outside... guess I should experiment...

thanks for your thoughts

I have been hunting for a very long time with them and so far I have never needed a water proof paper. But I live in the desert of Idaho.

Ron,

seeing your name just reminded me that Johnson1942 used some single wrap using plastic coated freezer paper....I think that was on cast boolet forum... I do appreciate the help that both of you gave me in getting into paper patching ml bullets... they sure do work...

I think if I used them I wouldn't bother to treat them. Carry them in waterproof tubes. When loading i'd shield them from the rain. It just takes seconds to remove from tube and load in the barrel.

Loading loose powder has the same problem for all muzzleloaders. Maybe more so than using paper patched.

Pete,
I am only paperpatching the bullet...I use loose powder and a felt wad over the powder...I do keep them in plastic tubes. I make an annual trip to SE Ohio for deer and it seems like more years than not, at least one day is a steady downpour :)

Load it at home where it's dry. You only need one shot for a kill. :wink:

themoose said:
Pete,
I am only paperpatching the bullet...I use loose powder and a felt wad over the powder...I do keep them in plastic tubes. I make an annual trip to SE Ohio for deer and it seems like more years than not, at least one day is a steady downpour :)
You can say that again. We had a couple days like that last season. It was a warm season in SE Ohio. :(

Have you tried dampening some and shooting them to see the effect.
Reason I ask is that sometimes I'll roll mine on a felt pad which has sperm oil just prior to loading, in years past have also done with lithium grease, STP, etc.. doesn't seem to effect accuracy.

No, I haven't tried them dampened... I guess I was thinking about a problem that may not be an issue, but wondering if there was a way to prevent it from ever happening...

Latest posts

Back