Max Load for 45 Mountaineer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 5 pounds of 777 that I want to burn just for practice what would be a safe Max Load 45/40 200 grain or 45 XTP bare w/wad Thanks Lou

Being that your using T7 and it builds presser firster then BH209 I would say 120gr. but I have not shoot T7 in a long time been shooting BH209 when you could by it and never looked back.

Thanks I have the red disc beech plug on the 45 and it won't shoot BH-209 I know because I have a 50 caliber Knight Master Hunter and I get a fizz bang some time missed a giant buck because of that with BH-209 Thanks for the info Lou

"Thanks I have the red disc beech plug on the 45 and it won't shoot BH-209 I know because I have a 50 caliber Knight Master Hunter and I get a fizz bang some time missed a giant buck because of that with BH-209."

Thanks for the info Lou what primer are you use?? never had any trouble with BH 209 and the rec disc in my extreme ... WORM

The only time i had problems with BH209 and the red FPJs was when i failed to keep the flash channel clear. They fill with carbon rather quickly. That was using the older FPJ plug too. The newer vented FPJ plug is supposed to be better.

120 grains of 777 seemed to be about the max on my Knight master hunter .45. Any more than that and there was an occasional primer bulged using that heavy of a load and the red fpj system. I use blackhorn 209 now. The blackhorn ignition issue was solved by a change in primer, cleaning of the flash channel, and insuring of a tight fit of the bullet/sabot. Since that has been resolved, no problems.

Latest posts

Back