.32 Cal Inline Update

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzle-loader

Reaction score
Instead of continuing the 8 page thread about the .32 cal, I figured it would be good to start a new thread with new information that I have received from Traditions.

Currently, the engineers are working to design some different options based on the preferences of the forum and other customer input, but they have come up with one potential combination.

What they have come up with initially is a .36 caliber break-action inline, with 209 ignition (we can change to musket cap ignition instead). This would be built on the Traditions Buckstalker frame, with a 24" blued octagonal barrel and 1:48" twist. This would also be featured in a black synthetic stock and TruGlo fiber optic sights. The Traditions Accelerator breech plug would also be installed on this gun. Also, it can be drilled and tapped for scope mounts, which I believe was the consensus of the board.

The image below is a rendering for sample purposes, and take note that the sights would be different than shown, but overall this is the first concept that they have come up with.

*****This .36 caliber Buckstalker would be available for well under $300!*****

Let me know thoughts on this initial idea. They are still working on some other configurations for me, but they wanted to present this as a first option.

If anyone would like to be emailed additional details, or receive a larger photo of this model, please email me at [email protected]

Attachments

• Buckstalker-Octagonal-Barrel-copy.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 2,096
Thanks for the update Brad. I would for sure order one as it would be a great backyard trainer/plinker for my kids. I have no experiance with anything under a .45 but the specs seem good to me.

Thanks for the update Brad, Though it is a bit disappointing.

I am also curious as to why a 36cal when we were discussing a .32. :huh?: .36 is more than I would use for a "Squirrel rifle". Best guess is that they know the 36cal is the smallest sabot currently made. I am not positive, but I would think that the 1 in 48 might be a tad slow for sabots. :think: PRB or Conical would be ok.

I personally don't need the .36cal as I have a Knight LK-93 with a 1 in 22 twist (if I recall correctly), so probably would not buy one. but Price point sounds good sooo...

I would like to see the barrel specs too (Land and groove depth, contour) and the overall weight too. .36 to .32, in weight, is not as much difference as a .50 to .32.

In the .36 cal, would paper patching a .357 bullet work? I imagine the twist at 1 to 48 is a bit too slow?

Thanks for all the feedback! After speaking with the production manager, it appears that they had already looked into a .36 cal in the past, so this was something that they could put together somewhat reasonably. There was also a comment about retooling hurdles and things like that, so I think this initial option was a simple retrofit in the factory. Based on the feedback, I will relay the need for the .32, which is just as I thought.

I will post again with an update when I get details on a .32 cal inline with the faster twist. I will admit, I was not very excited about this first option either, and I appreciate the feedback.

they just discontinued the .32 deerhunter. Im guessing they never were interested. I have a few .36 already, and when I look for a new gun, cheapest I can find was never a priority.

Did you ever find out the barrel specs and weight on that rifle?
My personal feeling is I'd probably be holding out for a .32
I would like something not only for plinking, but squirrel hunting also. Like Shawn said, the .32 fits the bill perfectly.

While the .36 would be a good Plinker caliber, it is a bit large for small game like Squirrel and rabbit. It would be better for say ground hog and coyote. Most states will not allow it for Deer as it is too small diameter. So that to me makes it a sort of "in-between" caliber, Between small and large game. There are guys that will buy one but probably not as many as would buy the .32.

If they would do the .32 the way we have requested, I think that with the right promotional advertising it would sell even better than the Crockett and might just surprise them how well it would sell.

The 30 twist is much easier to get to shoot accurately with real light loads, its just not as finicky as the old standard 48 twist. The light loads makes it a great small game caliber. Cheap to shoot with patch and ball. It would also be a Fantastic Muzzleloader caliber for introducing Youth shooters to the muzzleloader as it has no recoil to beat you up or scare the new shooters. Great for a Plinker and just plain fun to shoot.

Just my 2cents. :wink:

WV Hunter said:
I would like something not only for plinking, but squirrel hunting also. Like Shawn said, the .32 fits the bill perfectly.

Unfortunately, there were no full specs or weights of the rifle that I posted about. I'm not entirely sure if it was actually built, or if it was just a rendering. I know their engineers are constantly working on new and different models, so this could just be something they were testing at one time.

I know it is a slow process, but I am keeping on them and ensuring that they will make this happen.

I don't know all the laws for the states, but a .36 cal is useless in Colorado. Too small for small game and illegal for big game. Coyote maybe, but would you buy a gun for just one animal?

Muley Hunter said:
I don't know all the laws for the states, but a .36 cal is useless in Colorado. Too small for small game and illegal for big game. Coyote maybe, but would you buy a gun for just one animal?
How would a .32 or 36 be too small for small game in CO? What are you allowed to use? Most eastern states let us use a 22LR for squirrel and rabbit.

Muley Hunter said:
I meant to say a .36 is too big for small game.
Oh ok that makes more since. I never hunted in CO so you had me curious. :wink:

And I agree it is just too much for small game. :yeah: I've read about some even smaller than .32 calibers (like a .19cal) and those sort of have me interested too, but balls and barrels would be hard to get.

muzzle-loader said:
WV Hunter said:

Unfortunately, there were no full specs or weights of the rifle that I posted about. I'm not entirely sure if it was actually built, or if it was just a rendering. I know their engineers are constantly working on new and different models, so this could just be something they were testing at one time.

I know it is a slow process, but I am keeping on them and ensuring that they will make this happen.

I think you are probably right. This must have been something they HAD been working on previously. Because it makes no sense otherwise, I mean you went to them saying "people have an interest in a .32"(not a .36). I guess we'll see how things shake out. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Ive used them, they work no problems. For .32 1-1/2 buck works fine with a thicker patch. I have roundball molds now, so usually just cast. Then tumble a few pounds at a time for a day or so and it eliminates the sprue. comes out just like factory swaged.

Don't know why everyone is saying .36 is to large for small game , I squirrel hunted with a Hopkins/Allen underhammer .36 for a couple years and it was no worse on squirrels then the .32 Deerhunter I have.. the only time it would tear a squirrel up was when loaded hot and a hit thru the shoulders would tear them apart, but a hit thru the ribs would just put a nickel sized hole..
I squirrel hunt with a .40 no problem so a .36 is far from too big.. it gives you the option of reduced loads for squirrels/rabbits and hot loads for groundhogs, raccoons, and even coyotes with a maxi-ball.. they are also a lot less fiddly when trying to load in the woods or out in the field, when fingers get cold or you have gloves on the .32 is hard to hold on to..
Also I have a Bill Eyre Squirrel rifle in .36 that was specifically built to hunt small game.
Also a .32 with over 15-20 gr. of powder looks like a grenade going off when hitting a squirrel also so in that case its too large for squirrels.

Latest posts

Back