Round 2..Range day...Scope for a Cooper ml

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Scope choices for "Hunting" a Cooper ml

pooldoc said:
I have become a big fan of the Vortex brand of optics. They come with a lifetime warranty. My first purchase was a pair of 8 x 40 HD Razor binoculars. They compare very favorably with high end European glass at half the price. Great reviews from lots of users. Just put one of their 3 x 9 x 42 Diamondbacks on my Disc Elite. Very clear and good low light performance. It was $199 @Academy. IMO lot better than Nikon's Muzzleloader scopes. They have 2 other higher priced lines with a multitude of reticle choices, powers etc. I'm so pleased with them I'm going to replace the scopes on my my other 2 Kights, a LRH and MH with a couple of their Razors. Cameraland NY has good prices on them and really likes their quality.

I like the Vortex glass... I have one on a X-bow with an Optimizer set up. It is very nice. I purchased the Leupold VX-3L CDS Rifle Scope - 4.5-14x50mm Matte Wind-Plex because I wanted to try out the custom dial system and wanted to put an American or as close as possible scope on the Cooper. Natchez has them for $590. I have a set of med and low Warne rings to get the scope as close to the barrel as possible. The scope came Saturday so I will set up Coop and head to the range as soon as I get the time..............

FWIW You said that you had a 50mm scope that you were going to mount and I put a Burris 3.5x 10x 50mm scope on my M70 30-06 using Burris Signature Zee medium ring which left about 1/8" gap between the objective lens & barrel. Here is a pic and this may help with your ring choice. Good luck on the Elk hunt.

IMG_1522-001.jpg

Travis299 said:
FWIW You said that you had a 50mm scope that you were going to mount and I put a Burris 3.5x 10x 50mm scope on my M70 30-06 using Burris Signature Zee medium ring which left about 1/8" gap between the objective lens & barrel. Here is a pic and this may help with your ring choice. Good luck on the Elk hunt.

IMG_1522-001.jpg

Nice set up Travis299.... I went with this scope because I am trying to get as close to the barrel as possible and maybe help with low light and these bad eyes.

Re: Scope mounted "Hunting" a Cooper ml

The Coop is all dressed up. I still haven't made it to the range yet but thought I would post a picture or two' The rifle comes in at just a tad under nine pounds. It's not a feather weight but very manageable. I used the low mount Warne rings and it really fits the scope and my cheek perfect......Can't wait to burn some powder!!!

They were made for each other! Very nice

That is one FINE looking rig you got there.

Very nice.
Like many others, looking forward to your testing results.

Re: Range day... Cooper ml

I had a chance for a quick trip to the range this morning. I tried the 300 grain Scorpions and the same weight Parker Ballistics, both with supplied sabots. I wanted to feel the recoil of a 91 grain weighed charge of Blackhorn in the Coop so with limited time that's what I did. There was a bit of wind. The temperature was about 55ish. I waited 5/6 minutes (would have waited 10/15 minutes but no time) between shots and used a Precision Packer tool. I dry fired three times between shots just to reassure myself of proper breathing and form. The Scorpions could do no better that 2.1"s with this charge and the Parkers not much better at 1.6"s. I feel there is much more potential here... I will be trying both bullets next trip with various charge weights. The recoil though substantial was not intolerable. I am looking for better results at 100 yards before I stretch the distance. Hopefully my schedule will allow me more time soon. The scope is bright and very clear and the Coops trigger is crisp, without creep. All in all a comfortable rifle to shoot.

The Parkers 1.6"s 100 yards... the group is not centered as I felt no need at this point. When I get the group I want I'll center things up.

Re: Range day...Scope for a Cooper ml

Nothing like trigger time to tighten up the group. New rifle, new load........ it'll take a bit, but it looks as though you're on your way.

I am curious as to why you want a 10X scope with a 50 exit on an M.Z? Are you planning on late night, long range shooting? Not being "mean", just curious, is all.
You have a lot of $$$ invested in that rig. There must be a purpose.

Re: Scope choices for a "Hunting" ml

alaska viking.... maybe this explains it.... I have other muzzleloaders but I really want to ring out the accuracy potential of the Coop. Truly my eyes are not very good and I thought the 50mm would help in those dusk and dawn situations. If I feel at some point that it is more than I need on the Coop rest assured that I have several center fire rifles that would benefit from this scope. I also have access to 3700 acres of great hog habitat to test the limits of the Coop once it is dialed in to my satisfaction......

This is what I posted earlier....

coaster500 said:
You are probably right I may never need the magnification for an elk hunt but I if I do? I own a Traditions Ultra Light with a Toby scope I bought just so I could get used to the processes involved with this sport. I have a nephew that will probably end up with it. I also have an Encore that is set up for California with a Ghost ring (no scope allowed in Ca). I don't have the eyes for other types of open sites and in truth a 100 yards for me is a far poke with that set up!!! I just feel after reading information on this site and in other places that if I ever decided to test the 200 grain limits of the Coop better optics would be useful. I think the rifle deserves the best optics I can afford?

For the last 15 years I have hunted almost exclusively with my recurves and longbow but age has made me set them aside for other pursuits and frankly I am looking forward to the process.

I pulled the trigger on the Leupold VX-3L CDS Rifle Scope - 4.5-14x50mm Matte Wind-Plex... at $589.99 at Natchez....it seemed like a lot of scope for the money. I have some low and medium Warne rings and will try to get it as close to the barrel as possible, then when time allows I will work on finding a load the Coop likes. I am really anxious but work right now has the process on hold for a bit....

Again thank you all for your thoughts...

Looking good Coaster.

I don't know what the Supplied sabot is for the Parker but if memory serves the Scorpion comes with Crush Ribs. How did they go down the bore? IF loose or relatively easy maybe a sabot change will help.

ShawnT said:
Looking good Coaster.

I don't know what the Supplied sabot is for the Parker but if memory serves the Scorpion comes with Crush Ribs. How did they go down the bore? IF loose or relatively easy maybe a sabot change will help.
I believe the BE comes with HPH12 sabot. I could be wrong just going by feel. The Scorpion does come with the crush rib but also comes in 50 ct. without sabots.

rangerod said:
ShawnT said:
Looking good Coaster.

I believe the BE comes with HPH12 sabot. I could be wrong just going by feel. The Scorpion does come with the crush rib but also comes in 50 ct. without sabots.
I just got 2 bulk boxes of the 300gn Scorpions myself. I have some Crushribs and MMP HPH 24s to try in my Ultra Lite. I have Plenty of HPH-12's on hand for my other rifles.

ShawnT said:
Looking good Coaster.

ShawnT... they came with a black sabot and they are fairly loose where the Parkers take some effort. I will try the Scorpions with a different sabot at some point. I still have not tried the Barnes 290 TEZ's. Man I need a break from work.

https://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/ ... tip-bullet

Remember you can buy the Harvester PT Golds in 50 packs without sabots for much less than with sabots. Carlos at Ed's Gunshop in NC is even cheaper but im not sure if he he stocks the 300gr PT Gold. He does stock a variety of sabots though.

GM54-120 said:
Remember you can buy the Harvester PT Golds in 50 packs without sabots for much less than with sabots. Carlos at Ed's Gunshop in NC is even cheaper but im not sure if he he stocks the 300gr PT Gold. He does stock a variety of sabots though.

Thank you for the information about Ed's... I did order the bullets (2ea 50 packs) from harvester in bulk and ordered the same sabots as shown in the link. I have a couple of sabot choices coming from MMP and will see if I can find a combo the Coop likes.

Just need time...........

Back