Round 2..Range day...Scope for a Cooper ml

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coaster500

Reaction score
I just purchased a new Cooper ML and am wondering what optics to use on it? I don't think that I want to tolerate the 200 grain charges the rifle is rated for and it will be 100% used for hunting with loads probably in the 110/130 grain range by volume Blackhorn. I have a supply of Barnes, Parker Ballistics, and Scorpions in 300 grains, hoping that one of theses will be the answer in my load development. I drew a New Mexico unit 34 Elk tag for this October and am hoping to use this rifle. I have several quality scopes that I can use for a maximum point blank range set up but I'm wondering if there might be a better way to go?

This my first post off the Newbie board so thank you in advance.........

Re: Scope choices for a "Hunting" ml

With such a fine rifle, I would suggest a high end quality scope to complement it. Nikon, Leupold, Burris, even some of the more extreme scopes if the budget allows. As for magnification, it will depend on your hunting situation. For instance in my case, my shots are close. So a 2-7 is a fine scope for me. When I hunt fields I like a 3-9 power. But as funny as it sounds a simple 4x can get the job done. So I am not going to name a brand and model scope for you. But do your homework and think of your needs. Great rifle!

cayuga said:
With such a fine rifle, I would suggest a high end quality scope to complement it. Nikon, Leupold, Burris, even some of the more extreme scopes if the budget allows. As for magnification, it will depend on your hunting situation. For instance in my case, my shots are close. So a 2-7 is a fine scope for me. When I hunt fields I like a 3-9 power. But as funny as it sounds a simple 4x can get the job done. So I am not going to name a brand and model scope for you. But do your homework and think of your needs. Great rifle!

so you use standard reticle scopes not multiple reticle type scopes, custom turrets, ect?

I have some quality scopes that have a standard reticle so I could set the gun up for a max pbr but I'm wondering what other folks use.

My first hunt with this rifle will be for elk in NM. I would like to be accurate 250 yards, I have hunted this area before with a bow and hopefully, God willing it will be much closer to close the deal.

You may be the first on here that has purchased their new rifle... :yeah: It is a sweet rig for sure! Congrats

I would agree with a quality scope, my choice is 3-9x40 typically. If I was planning to potentially shoot longer ranges, I may even bump up to a 12x. I personally like the std duplex type reticles best, but pretty much all my hunting is under 200yds...so no ranging issues really for me. I know several folks on this board are very good long range shooters and like the BDC type reticles (Leupold, Nikon, etc). Many also use the CDS dials and a rangefinder, and just dial up the distance. I actually have a Leupold Ultimate Slam ML scope with the bdc type reticle, but I have not used it yet. From what everyone says, they are nice and work well once you dial them in...but the key is practicing alot so you know exactly where the ticks line up with your rifle and load. Given my liking of less clutter in the scope, I think my personal choice would be CDS over BDC... but I have not yet used either so I can't comment from experience.

This is a great board with alot of great info and some superb shooters too... welcome :mrgreen:

Put the best 3-9 you have on it and start practicing. A standard duplex will work just fine to 250 yards.

Welcome to the forums!

Scopes I use are Nikon Omega 3-9x40, a couple of Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32 (my favorite), Bushnell Elite 2-7x32mm, Redfield 3-9x42 (a lot of scope), Cabelas PowderHorn 3-10x 40mm (on a couple rifles) Bushnell Dusk to Dawn 1.5x4.5-32mm (a inexpensive but excellent scope) Some very inexpensive 4x32mm Simmon Pro Diamond scopes in four rifles and a shotgun, and even a Simmons 2x20 on a little stalking rifle I use.

To be honest on your rifle, I would look at a higher end Leupold like a VII. Something that could get the best potential of what that rifle of yours has to offer. There is another scope I really wanted to shoot, I forget the brand, but it worked off a lighted single post. You basically sight it in so the bullet hits at the top of the post. I watched a video of a man shooting 400 yards with one. It was an amazing (but very expensive) scope. Probably why I don't remember the brand.

cayuga said:
There is another scope I really wanted to shoot, I forget the brand, but it worked off a lighted single post. You basically sight it in so the bullet hits at the top of the post. I watched a video of a man shooting 400 yards with one. It was an amazing (but very expensive) scope. Probably why I don't remember the brand.

Trijicon Accupoint

I will start working to find a load with a scope I have.

These scopes with the custom turrets look interesting. The Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x50mm CDS and the Burris Veracity 2-10x42mm w/ 30mm look interesting? I've never used one before???

I have VX3 3.5X10X40 Duplex that I took off a 270WSM (put a VX3 4.5X14 on it) that might be a candidate?....

I'd like to put American glass on this rifle but I don't think their is such a thing anymore. I think everybody get glass from China, Japan or Europe. Well that's a different subject... hey I'm old ... I'm allowed to wander off :?

Both the Leupold and the Burris you mentioned would be fine choices. Your bullet selections are also on the money. good luck and good hunting I hope you shoot a good one. guy

03mossy said:
cayuga said:
There is another scope I really wanted to shoot, I forget the brand, but it worked off a lighted single post. You basically sight it in so the bullet hits at the top of the post. I watched a video of a man shooting 400 yards with one. It was an amazing (but very expensive) scope. Probably why I don't remember the brand.

Trijicon Accupoint

that's the one. In the video they showed how game animals looked. It was pretty cool.

I try to match the scope to where I hunt. For thick dark woods a 2x7 is nice but do not overlook the diameter of the objective lens for this situation I like a 60 mm if you get a good one and you can make out thing that don't show with your smaller lens.
For the open corn, or bean, fields or open country out west a 4 x 14 is nice the bigger objective is still better on this also.
as far as brands go I have Leopold which are all right Nikon which I like better Weaver which I have had good luck with and Bushnell which are the most for your dollar if you don't insist on premium quality.

coaster500 said:

These scopes with the custom turrets look interesting. The Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x50mm CDS and the Burris Veracity 2-10x42mm w/ 30mm look interesting? I've never used one before???

I have VX3 3.5X10X40 Duplex that I took off a 270WSM (put a VX3 4.5X14 on it) that might be a candidate?....

Several of my muzzle loaders have scopes with the CDS dial on them. Some were purchased with the CDS, older ones, i sent to Leupold; they installed the dial. To me it seems like muzzle loaders, and CDS dials are a perfect match. Leupold installed the CDS dial for $60. Dials are now working on Vari-X III, VX-3, VX-2, and FX-4.

My 2¢........I know guys with the Burris scopes that have to have them repaired all the time. Not saying they all will need repair, just know guys that have had them repaired multiple times. One shooter has had his repaired twice, replaced once, and its in for repairs at the moment.
IMO stay away from the multi-reticle scopes, which can create task saturation in the heat of the moment. Learn to shoot a single reticle and use your scope adjustment. Of course....... a quality range finder is a must for longer range hunting.

The Leupold CDS turret setup is exceptionally good and for the scopes they're offered with, the first turret is free. With that top quality rifle, I'd certainly put a top quality scope on top it, with quality mounts and rings. They make so many variables now days that don't change POI when turning up the zoom. Also, if you can't see it, maybe through the trees or brush, you're most likely not going to hit it. I'd suggest getting a scope with considerable adjustment. My VX6 is a 3-18. Clearly low enough and high enough adjustment.

If your new Cooper is rated for 200grs, it never means that you have to shoot 200grs. My BP Express is rated to 200grs BP or substitute or 150grs BH209. It shoots the best with 180grs of T7. A PAST recoil shoulder pad works excellent for long range days.

That Cooper should be a great M-L, come back with a report once you get it dialed in.

I'm also not a big fan of the 'busy' scope reticles, for big game hunting. Personal preference factors in. Just about all of my shots it's simply takes the crosshairs on the vitals, no need to confuse the issue.

A M-L is not a 400 yard gun like some of the larger magnums. I wouldn't want to be shooting at an elk at an extended range where I'd be worried about recovery. That may be a reason not to need the higher magnification. There is always room for optimum clarity.

I use a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 on my Knight Elite. I bumped up up from a 1.75-6 Leupold, which is also a fine scope. For your use a 3-9, or slightly more would be fine. A rangefinder is handy since distance is more important with a M-L shot, compared to a flatter centerfire.

Of course if you have a scope that you could move to the Cooper, that works too. Like a lot of choices, there is no 'one' best scope.

You can still get Weaver Super Slams for under $300 and they are still made in Japan IIRC. Don't kid yourself, the Japanese make some killer glass. Zeiss uses some Japanese made glass on some scopes. Their German made glass is top shelf without a doubt. Natchez often has some deals on the Super Slams. I think they have a 2x10x42 available atm for around $280. Thats about half price.

This is a LOT of scope for under $300 and has etched glass reticle plus 4" of eye relief. https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-super- ... matte.html

Sightron makes some great scopes too that can really handle heavy kickers and track very very good from the reviews ive seen.

I'll second the weaver line , my grand slam is beyond clear, not to mention I've had great luck with their customer service.

Nikon and Leopold are fine scopes too. The Nikon omega scope has 5in of eye relief, another consideration.good luck !

Bushnell Elite's. They stand up to recoil, have great clarity and..Rainguard.
Sounds like a gimmick...right up until you see the difference yourself when you raise that rifle in fog/rain/sleet and still have the clarity to make the shot. After counting on it for years afield during our nasty weather, I've upgraded EVERY scope I have to ones with Rainguard.
The guys who think it's a gimmick and buy others, simply have never compared these scopes side by side with theirs in inclement weather. I don't know why more optic companies don't develop their own version of this coating. I'm currrently saving for some binoculars with this feature as it will really help me during our Muzzy season.

cljohnson24 said:
Bushnell Elite's. They stand up to recoil, have great clarity and..Rainguard.
Sounds like a gimmick...right up until you see the difference yourself when you raise that rifle in fog/rain/sleet and still have the clarity to make the shot. After counting on it for years afield during our nasty weather, I've upgraded EVERY scope I have to ones with Rainguard.
The guys who think it's a gimmick and buy others, simply have never compared these scopes side by side with theirs in inclement weather. I don't know why more optic companies don't develop their own version of this coating. I'm currrently saving for some binoculars with this feature as it will really help me during our Muzzy season.

Absoluty! It works as advertised. We have done side by side tests. Throwing them in a snow bank for a while then bringing them in the warm tent then in water, breathing on them. Its actually pretty amazing how well it works. If only bushnell offered some bolder reticles they would be all I own. But even there standard crosshairs are to thin for my taste that is why they are not on all my guns. A pair of binos with raingard would be real nice as Iseem to always fog mine up when I exhaul.

Zeiss bought the rights to use Bushnells raingard a few years ago and they call it LotuTec. They use it on there higher end scopes. Conquest HD5 and above.

Well USPS just dropped off the COOP!!!

Sad thing is it will be two weeks before I can shoot........... :wall:

Latest posts

Back