Round 2..Range day...Scope for a Cooper ml

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Range day...Scope for a Cooper ml

coaster500 said:
ShawnT said:
Looking good Coaster.

I don't know what the Supplied sabot is for the Parker but if memory serves the Scorpion comes with Crush Ribs. How did they go down the bore? IF loose or relatively easy maybe a sabot change will help.

ShawnT... they came with a black sabot and they are fairly loose where the Parkers take some effort. I will try the Scorpions with a different sabot at some point. I still have not tried the Barnes 290 TEZ's. Man I need a break from work.

https://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/ ... tip-bullet
Those in the Link are the Crush Ribs. Saw the Same packs at Cabela's last weekend. If those are too loose I would go with a smooth black sabot. Since the bullet is a .451 maybe the MMP HPH-12 would work better. The MMP HPH-24 would be close to the same fit as the Harvester Short black at least they are in my KRB7. I too ordered 2 50rd packs from Harvester. For some reason they were over charging a little on shipping. They packed a separate small pack of the same bullets and noted it was for the excess shipping. I'm hoping to try the Scorpions this weekend in my Ultra Lite.

Re: Range day...Scope for a Cooper ml

Squeeze said:
I forget the make barrel they use. It could just need a bit of break in.

Took another trip to the range this morning. I decided to use the same load 91gr by wt Blackhorn, Scorpion Gold 300gr and same black crushed rib sabot to test the break-in theory. I think things are starting to tighten up a bit. I am out of the Parkers for now but have a good supply of the Scorpions and tossed some Barnes 290gr TEZ's same charge today. Two shots every 10 minutes as it was a good 70 plus today.
I want to say that I am by no means a marksman so please don't judge the Coop's potential by me. I have horrible eyes and a slight tremor. The Coop's weight helps me settle in.

PS..... I will not be using this rifle on my next prairie dog hunt!!!

300 Scorpions 1.3 inches

290 TEZ 1.4 inches

For those that are interested I have burned a couple pounds of powder and a small fortune in bullets. In looking for an elk load I have tried Lehigh 300's, Scorpion 300's, Barnes 's 290's and Parker BE 300's. I have used Charges from 75 to 95 grains by weight of Blackhorn with CCI-M primers. I can't remember the name of the device but it is spring loaded and makes consistent pressure on the ramrod possible for this novice when loading the rifle. I use a priority Spinjag for the Parkers and a standard for the others. The barrel was allowed to cool 5 to 10 minutes between shots depending on how warm the air temperature was during the session. To check my breathing and trigger pull I dry fired the Coop 2 to 3 times between shots to try and help the Coop do well in spite of my skill level. The best group was the one below at 3/4"... It came with 83 grains of BH and the Parker BE 300 grain bullet. The next best was the Barnes but it didn't do well until I reduced the charge of BH to 76 grains and was still just over an inch. I live in California and we are lead free. Our blacktails and hogs may see me use this load. The lehigh bullet was best with 93 grains of BH and was about 1 3/8"s but the bolt face of the Coop started to get pretty fouled and the primer was difficult to removed from the bolt face. The Scorpion 300 was a bit inconsistent for me. It would turn in a good group but then would throw a flyer? Maybe I was damaging it in the loading process?
The rifle is really a pleasure to shoot with a great trigger and with the 83 grain charge very easy on the body. I will stretch the distance with my next session and see happens at 200 yards? I think I am minute of Elk with the Parkers....

Good job. Once you find the group you want, make your final scope adjustments.
Then, stretch it out and see what she'll do at 200 :wink:

Coaster,

That is good shooting and sounds like most all your loads are doing very good. :yeah: Nothing wrong with 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" for a hunting load and 83 grains by weight of BH is no slouch load. I think the Elk will be in trouble with any of those. I have harvested Deer (Complete pass though) at 206yds with 100 grains by volume and a 300 grain Speer DC so your loads should have no problem.

ShawnT said:
Coaster,

That is good shooting and sounds like most all your loads are doing very good. :yeah: Nothing wrong with 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" for a hunting load and 83 grains by weight of BH is no slouch load. I think the Elk will be in trouble with any of those. I have harvested Deer (Complete pass though) at 206yds with 100 grains by volume and a 300 grain Speer DC so your loads should have no problem.

Thank you......Let's hope I get a Bull in range :)

One more note I did not swab between shots and some of my sessions were 20/25 shots. Blackhorn is great stuff and I did not notice any differences in accuracy toward the end of the shot strings. The only thing that id happen as I mentioned before is the groove that the primer slides into would get a bit sticky with grime after several shots and with the higher charge volumes. I just removed the bolt and cleaned the groove from time to time. In the field this would not be an issue for a fallow up shot as it takes quite a few shots the dirty the grove.

Back