Pedersoli Rolling block muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter72

Reaction score
It finally arrived :)
Removed the beach plug and gave the internals a clean, put tape on the plug as advised here.
Load development starts tomorrow.
c185e0086928342f28a74893a7d14a6b.jpg

a2201124cf050cbe1a687a2880a4894a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Re: Pedersoli Rolling block muzzleloader

Peter,

Congrads on the new Rifle! :applause: It is a Good looking rifle too!

What ignition set up is it, #11 cap or 209 primer? What caliber?

Best of luck with it and by all means let us know how it goes. :yeah:

I sold mine after only one season and purchased the Omega, all because my heavy winter gloves does not fit inside that small trigger guard. An oversight on my part when I purchased the 54-cal Rolling Block 14-15 years ago.

Congrats on your purchase BTW. Hope it works out better for you - than me. Years ago the barrel was lined with deep grooves. If I recall correctly, mine shot conicals better than sabots.

As far as i know, the all the Pedersoli 50cal inlines use the same barrel. Brutus, Ovation, Denali and the Rolling block were all 28" 1-24 twist. Even the contours look really similar. My Ovation had the same step in the barrel as the one pictured. I never slugged mine but it was tight bored.

Unlike button rifling, Pedersoli inline barrels are broach cut.

Button
rifling-button-web.jpg

Broach
slide_40.jpg

I don't think it's intended for sabots. The Pedersoli web site lists a 450 grain .500 bullet as the proper bullet for the .50 caliber Rolling Block muzzle loader.

Well I took it out for its maiden voyage. At 100m with .458 in mmp sabots.
ccc890094488d6329f383df8c21493a3.jpg

That's roughly 1.5-2 inchs.
Very happy so far.

Re: RE: Re: Pedersoli Rolling block muzzleloader

Semisane said:
I don't think it's intended for sabots. The Pedersoli web site lists a 450 grain .500 bullet as the proper bullet for the .50 caliber Rolling Block muzzle loader.
I have that mold and will try them out soon. I do hope they shoot well as the .504 maxi didn't do so well today.

Maxi balls might be a tad light for the 1-24 twist. Try a lower charge of powder. Even as low as 60gr might be needed for conicals under 400gr with that twist rate. Heavier conicals will also have a longer bearing surface so there is more contact with the rifling. Maxis have wide deep lube grooves and less contact area.

GM54-120 said:
Maxi balls might be a tad light for the 1-24 twist. Try a lower charge of powder. Even as low as 60gr might be needed for conicals under 400gr with that twist rate. Heavier conicals will also have a longer bearing surface so there is more contact with the rifling. Maxis have wide deep lube grooves and less contact area.
Thanks for that, probaly explains why the maxi performed so poorly. Recommended minimum load is 80gns (I assume due the breech plug needing to be filled) so I'll start there.
The .50 muzzleloading projectile mold came out at .495, and while I havent slugged the bore, it was such a loose fit that it slid part way down by itself. It shot terribly too.
I went in 10gn steps with the sabots and .458 300gn projectiles from 100 to 120gns and that shot worse too.
I'll start at 80gns with those aswell

A question for the learned.
3 shots from a clean barrel (wiping between shots) give me approx. 1.5 inchs at 100 metres.
Then things go down hill, literally, all following shots, while continuing to wipe between shots, land approx 4-6 inchs lower then an inch or 2 lower again.
So, whats this telling me, the rifle likes a clean/cleaner barrel?
This effect has been shown from 80gns through 110gns of 2p Wano, using MMP .50/.458 sabots using 2 different projectiles.
Once Ive got some semi sort of consistency, then I will work on what projectiles the rifle likes.
Any tips or suggestions are most welcome, or am I missing something basic?
Pete

Are you allowing barrel to cool between shots?

bestill said:
Are you allowing barrel to cool between shots?
Well as cool as you can get on a cold day taking maybe 5 minutes between shots.
Id say it only got warm enough to just notice it when you load the next.

That should work.
So after a string of shots that continue to hit lower what does it take to return to zero.

Thoroughly clean rifle?
Let set overnight?
Remove plastic fouling?

Or does it ever come back to zero

bestill said:
That should work.
So after a string of shots that continue to hit lower what does it take to return to zero.

Thoroughly clean rifle?
Let set overnight?
Remove plastic fouling?

Or does it ever come back to zero
I'll try again when it stops raining as I ran out of measured powder to continue yesterday.

Had another load development session today.
I went up to 120gns if Wano 2p.
Let the barrel cool down totally between shots and gave it a good wipe between shots.

@ 100 metres
190aa5797c7f2cc4b609a33beb32a692.jpg

Am very pleased with the results so far.
Next step will be to try some commercial made .458 and .452

I assume the Rolling Block is 209 primed? Is so do you think you get a cleaner burn/less fouling when using Black Powder vs. a #11 or musket cap? I use real black powder in all my ML's but just caps so I'm really curious. I know the current Pedersoli rolling block is a 209 ignition. I have been searching for an old Cabela's/Pedersoli .54 rolling block. I'm not sure if the rolling block was ever available in anything other than 209 ignition, anyone know?

When I got my used .54 Rolling Block, it was outfitted with a 209 adapter and had a #11 nipple with it. But, the firing pin was battered from using the 209 adapter, so I put the #11 nipple on, and it looked like ignition was going to be "hit or miss". Then I got in contact with the gentleman on the East Coast that sells Pedersoli parts and ordered a musket nipple plus the take down tools. The previous owner had not removed the breechplug in a long time. It took several days of solvent soaking to get it out (ALWAYS use teflon tape on all threads.) It had also come to me with an extra firing pin, BUT for good ignition, there was a .060 thick washer under the nipple - engagement was only about 3 threads. (Not a good setup in my opinion) Just finished making a new, longer firing pin for it out of Grade 8 bolt - curious to see how things work out with it - too cold to range test this week . All in all, it's a nice looking muzzleloader. Going to shoot .54 minis out of it - maybe sabots, but from the entries I'm seeing, I'm betting a well lubed mini will work well. Good blog site.

Any update on your .54 Rolling Block Pedersoli? I am curious as to the results with musket caps and what loads you are using. I have one with a battered No. 11 plug and am looking at getting a musket cap breech plug. Who is the guy that is selling Pedersoli parts here in the States? Any info appreciated.

Latest posts

Back