Something to think about when choosing a bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
This was posted on another forum and i found it interesting and somewhat surprising.

I would have guessed there would be very little if any different between the SST and 325gr FTX jackets. They both are designed for similar muzzle velocities. Hornady loads the 325gr FTX in 45/70 and 450 Marlin at MVs ranging from 2050fps to 2225fps.

The 450 Bushmaster which shoots the CF version of the 250gr SST is listed at 2200fps MV so why the thinner jacket on the 325gr FTX? Why not a thinner jacket on the 300gr SST also?

Also notice the crazy thick jacket on the Nosler. IIRC Ron's jug test showed a lack of expansion. Now we can understand why. A guilding metal jacket that thick is super tough. There is pretty much ZERO taper in the jacket as well. Even Savage shooters may want to avoid this bullet unless max penetration is the goal.

Personally if i was going to use any of these bullets for deer hunting it would be the Hornady 300gr 458. Construction is more similar to the Parker BE line. Expansion is nearly guaranteed at all common ML speeds. They are usually pretty explosive at "Savage speeds" so avoiding a high shoulder would be wise if you like your meat.

On a side note look at the piss poor quality control of the Barnes BO. Pure copper jacket and pure lead core high cost bullets should not have those voids. Barnes should be ashamed of that bullet at the price they charge.

That is definitely not what I would have expected. :shock: I figured the FTX was the same construction. I agree that BO looks real bad. :shock: With those voids I would not expect it to shoot well.

Is the 265 grain FTX a .430 diameter bullet? Seems like I remember it did pretty good in Ron's testing.

Thanks for posting this. Sure is good info.

Yes the 265gr FTX is made for 444Marlin and is a .429. I know quite a few have had good results with a .429 but i strongly prefer a 45 or 458 bullet. The .429s have never shot as well for me.

Was just looking at their site. I see there is a 225 and 250 grain .452 but no 300 grain, that's a shame.

Hornady quit selling bulk SSTs in .452 250gr and 300gr. You must buy them with sabots now. They still offer the 200gr FTX for 460S&W, the 250gr FTX for the Bushmaster and the 225gr FTX made for 45LC lever guns.

Wideners still has some 50 ct boxes SST.452 in 250&300 https://www.wideners.com/reloading-...oader-bullets/45-caliber-muzzleloader-bullets

DSC00741.jpg

DSC00760-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back