300g Thor -- 80g Blackhorn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rangerod provided these 300 grain Thor 50 caliber bullet for this test. Distance was 25 yard.

IMG_1722.JPG

IMG_1720.JPG

IMG_1719.JPG

IMG_1721.JPG

That was an impressive video. I tried them out of my Optima with 85 grains of 777 2f. I found them very accurate and when I shot a one gallon milk jug full of water at 75 yards, that thing jumped 10 feet in the air and was just blow apart. But my little fun time had no indication of what they would do on game. Your test shows the kind of expansion I am hoping for. I am sure 85 grains of 777 and that bullet would, if placed, wipe out a white tail deer.

rangerod said:
bendback said:
WOW, I just some of these to try out. Glad I did
I would love to hear a report from you. Shooting these out of my Vision and they are very accurate.

I have the Vision and curious what Thor bullet diameter you currently favor? I heard the manufacturer offers them in 3-4 different diameters.

GoexBlackhorn said:
rangerod said:
bendback said:
WOW, I just some of these to try out. Glad I did
I would love to hear a report from you. Shooting these out of my Vision and they are very accurate.

I have the Vision and curious what Thor bullet diameter you currently favor? I heard the manufacturer offers them in 3-4 different diameters.
My Vision takes the .503 dia. You can get a sizing pack .500-.503. Iirc they offer up to .508.

cayuga said:
That was an impressive video. I tried them out of my Optima with 85 grains of 777 2f. I found them very accurate and when I shot a one gallon milk jug full of water at 75 yards, that thing jumped 10 feet in the air and was just blow apart. But my little fun time had no indication of what they would do on game. Your test shows the kind of expansion I am hoping for. I am sure 85 grains of 777 and that bullet would, if placed, wipe out a white tail deer.
Glad to read your post. Have purchased some .502's to try in my Optima. :applause:

Yes sir. I weigh each charge of BH on a scale and also weigh each bullet to ensure consistency. In addition, I swab out the bore every third shot. I also clean the breech plug. I believe this has helped me achieve solid groups at both 100 and 150 yards from my CVA Accura.

ThreePoint, what do you consider a solid group? When I sent my Accura back to CVA, they sent a new barrel with a target showing a bit over 2" at 100 yards. I wasn't too impressed, but it was better than the old barrel.

If I am shooting off a bench I would expect 1-1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. But my usual practice is to duplicate hunting situations. I will use my collapsible shooting sticks or my Boggs.
GEAR - Hunting Tripods, Bipods, Shooting Sticks & Rifle Rests | Bog

ThreePoint, what do you consider a solid group? When I sent my Accura back to CVA, they sent a new barrel with a target showing a bit over 2" at 100 yards. I wasn't too impressed, but it was better than the old barrel.

FWIW I was shooting the 300's prior to an elk hunt. If I was hunting deer I'd lean towards the 250's.

I tried loads of 100, 110 and 120 grains of BH209. I didn't try a fiber wad under the bullet but in hindsight it might be worthwhile to try an oversize wad as I don't think you get a good gas seal with these bullets due to the hard skirt. The .501's were the best fit in my Omega and loaded smoothly with a clean bore. After one shot the next load would bind in places as it was being pushed down the bore, almost like the bullet was out of round. Looking at the skirt from the bottom of the bullet they were a little dinged up or out of round when taken from the package.

The best groups I got were around 2" at 50 yards using an aperture sight but the next group would be 3 1/2 - 4". I didn't try sorting bullets by weight or skirt shape either and my charges were carefully measured by volume.

Just my observations. Not trying to be critical of the bullet. Hope it helps others...

Sorry but it kind of cracks me up to hear someone say a 2” area group at 100 yards with a muzzleloader is not good accuracy. However you slice it, you are pouring an explosive powder down a barrel and then stuffing a bullet down on top of it. Yes there are guns and bullets that are capable of shooting slightly better but that is a good group for a Muzzy.

Latest posts

Back