Peep Sights

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbf1961

Reaction score
So I have decided I need different sights for the Knight Bighorn. In Washington where I live and hunt we cannot scope our gun for the muzzleloader season. I want to go with peep sights. Does anybody have a link , model # or advice on which peep sights work on these guns?

I just saw one on the Talley Manufacturing site that attaches to a scope base. I have no experience with it, but it looked sharp.

Depending on your exact preference, there are quite a few different routes that you can go. We stock a full line of Williams peeps sights, as well as their infamous Ghost Ring. They even have peep sights that are mounted on a picatinny rail, in case you would like the ability to add or remove a scope for different hunting restrictions.

The Williams Ghost Ring is generally a replacement for your current rear sight, and these can come down to personal preference. The sight offers a larger aperture hole, because of the forward location, but also adds a green fiber optic dot on either side of the hole, to help line up with your front sight.

Another option is the Williams WGRS, or Full Proof Series. The WGRS is almost identical to your current rear mount, but with a standard metal peep sight installed, with a different contour and bolt pattern to fit in your rear scope mount holes. The Full Proof series will also mount to the rear scope mount holes, but has a totally different configuration, which makes adjustments much easier. There is even a version with target knobs, so competition shooters can make adjustments on the fly.

kbf1961 said:
So I have decided I need different sights for the Knight Bighorn. In Washington where I live and hunt we cannot scope our gun for the muzzleloader season. I want to go with peep sights. Does anybody have a link , model # or advice on which peep sights work on these guns?

This is what I use on the back end... A Williams FP peep with 1/4 minute clicks... This is mounted on a MK-85 flat top receiver make sure you get the one for the round top LK-Wolverine-Bighorn rifles

And on the front end - I really prefer this set up...

This is actually the set up on a White but basically the same for a Bighorn...

Williams Streamline ramp - Williams .343N Fiber Optic front blade and a Williams Fire Sight Hood...

With this setup you get the sensation that you are looing through a 1X scope...

Also in light conditions you just remove the peep aperture and use the sight as a ghost ring.

Make sure you get the correct Streamline ramp with 1.625 hole spacing

Williams FP peep and a Lyman globe with Lee Shavers inserts. Nothing but awesome.

Cheek%201_zpsvq5o3mup.jpg

idahoron said:
Williams FP peep and a Lyman globe with Lee Shavers inserts. Nothing but awesome.

I like the looks of that. How is it in low light conditions?

sabotloader said:
kbf1961 said:

This is what I use on the back end... A Williams FP peep with 1/4 minute clicks... This is mounted on a MK-85 flat top receiver make sure you get the one for the round top LK-Wolverine-Bighorn rifles

And on the front end - I really prefer this set up...

This is actually the set up on a White but basically the same for a Bighorn...

Williams Streamline ramp - Williams .343N Fiber Optic front blade and a Williams Fire Sight Hood...

With this setup you get the sensation that you are looing through a 1X scope...

Also in light conditions you just remove the peep aperture and use the sight as a ghost ring.

Make sure you get the correct Streamline ramp with 1.625 hole spacing

That .343 Fiber Optic front blade. Do you know if that is smaller than the Knight factory FO sight? My biggest problem with the set up I have now is the FO bead covers up nearly the whole target at 100yds. I would really like to go with the Lyman set up , but I am concerned with it in low light conditions..

No the beads are the same size - but that is why I use a figure 8 sight picture or what is call a 6 O'clock hold. You rest the front with the location you want to hit right on top of the fire sight bead. As shown with picture H

With the Williams FP in low light you just unscrew and remove the peep aperture and use the sight as a ghost ring...

kbf1961 said:
idahoron said:

I like the looks of that. How is it in low light conditions?

Low light is tough for any sight that isn't lit up some how or glows in the dark. I have used mine in low light but at that point the darker it gets the closer I have to get. On time I was in the bottom of a canyon and had a buck that was hit. He broke out in the open in low lite and was running. Both the peep and the globe were all I could see. My eye centered the buck in the sight and I swung forward. My years of chukar hunting payed off. The buck folded and I ran forward to look for him. It was dark and I had taken off from the truck on a fast hunt. I had to go back in the morning. The buck was only about 30 yards from where it was hit but in the dark I couldn't see.

Bigbuck4.jpg

The next one was another buck in the bottom of a canyon. It was getting dark but I could see my sights. On this rifle I have the front sight hood painted white. It does give me a little more to work with.

Mybuck55.jpg

If you are asking if it is going to be great in a tree stand on the last moments of light? No it is not but to be honest these rifles were designed to shoot across wide open flats where getting closer is not an option. I do hunt some timber but so far I haven't had to use the last moments of the day to fill the tag.

Incredible Bucks!! Thanks. Pretty woodsy over here in Western WA. I might be better off to stay with the fiber optics

Back