200 grain 40 caliber sst/shockwave

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Confederate rifleman said:
I can get 1800 fps with one from my Black Diamond Super 45 with 70 grains of 3 f Swiss black. Would you poke a black bear with one?

Sure would. I have taken whitetail out to 75 yards with my inline pistol with that bullet shooting 1510 FPS at the muzzle. Complete pass throughs, with clear evidence of expansion and dead deer at the end of short blood trails.

Hunting over bait for a blackie at 25ish yards, wouldn't give me any hesitation. You've got plenty to get it done.

COOL! Perhaps my Super 45 will go for a walk this year. But then again, I had me one heck of an adrenaline rush couple years back. Snuck within 50 yards of a a feeding sow ( didn't know it was a sow at first). Was about to shoot when one of her hundred pound cubs came bawling up on my left. She was no longer clueless, and commenced huffing and popping her jaws. I put my front sight under her chin and wished she'd take her cub and go. As I was wishing, 2 more hundred pounders came around from behind me and walked over to her. The first joined them ad now I had 4 black bear staring me down at 50 yards. Sooo there I am. 4 bear and me armed with... a MUZZLELOADER! My 50 call Black Diamond. They left. My knees went to Jell-O and i had a moment that lasted about 15 minutes. Someday I will get a bear with a frontstuffer. Perhaps it might be, prudent(?), to take my No4 MK2 303...

that is a nice accurate bullet. I never hunted with it. But read reports from those that have used them on game, and they had good things to say. I would think, if you placed that in the vital organs, that should do the job. But I am just speculating on this guess.

That bullet has worked quite well for me on big bodied Ohio deer but then again they do not have fangs or claws and weigh less.

Latest posts

Back