Bedding project for a Mountaineer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nocomike

Reaction score
I have a Mountaineer that came with a thumbhole stock. Liked the look but after as year with it I really wanted a traditional "straight" stock. So, I managed a trade and acquired a straight, laminated stock off a friend with a DISC Extreme. Interestingly, the Mountaineer stock accepted the DE action but the recoil lug on the Mountaineer action (I believe it's a "forked" lug) required some work with chisel and dremel in order for the Mountaineer action to seat in the DE straight stock.

Now the thought of bedding the Mountaineer action has crept into the picture. I have been scouring the forum and there are some great examples to learn from but still enough variations to muddy the water. The question of floating the barrel or bedding the barrel is one matter I would like to get some opinions on.

Another area I am a little uncertain of is concerning the actual recoil lug. Do I relieve the contact point where the lug actually meets the wood of the stock in order to make room for bedding material or leave "as is"? Likewise, the "floor" of the inletted stock where the recoil lug rests could easily be relieved to accept a layer of bedding material in lieu of a pillar. Is this something that would be beneficial or more easily accomplished with a pillar?

And then, Devcon or JB Weld?

More than one way to skin a cat but my way I relieve around the lug and install pillers both also I use accraglass if I can get it local if none in stock I use jb weld have not done a muzzy but I have about 90 centerfires done this way.

Floating has always seemed more sensible to me, but you laminated stock will probably not move. Up to you, more work bedding all the way with the ramrod channel.
Have only used Acraglass, and it doesn't take much. Release agent on parts, threads and screw on a few Knight's has never failed. Useless, Forked lug is harder to remove than older DISC platform. Next time I'll fill between fork with putty/clay.
As for recoil, after bedding each seem to have a thin layer of Acraglass between the stock and rear of barrel lug- which is a good thing. It will also fill any void on the bottom of the lug.
Good luck - you can do it..

I agree especially on a muzzy with the ramrod a floated barrel is the way to go wouldn't want to mess with the ramrod channel myself.

Some where there is a photo of the bedding I've done on the ML, sabotloader posted it for me. JB Weld and I use a 3" ARROW for the ram rod to slid into, right up to the recoil lug.

sqezer, I have studied the post and pics you mention very closely. The idea for using an arrow caught my attention and I will try that on this attempt. Do you relieve the immediate area around the recoil lug for your jobs?

Back