100 gr pyrodex p , 488 gr bullshop

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been thinking about this load for an elk hunt . Shoots good in the Super Safari .451 . 1800 fpe at muzzle . Only 18 " drop at 200 yards with over 1300 fpe at 200 yards . If i decide to use a White with big lead of course:) then this will probably be my choice .

Those are some stout numbers. Hard to fathom how Colorado's Division of Wildlife deems a .45 as inadequate for elk...

nocomike said:
Those are some stout numbers. Hard to fathom how Colorado's Division of Wildlife deems a .45 as inadequate for elk...
Yea really . I think that load is probably good for anything in North America . Our requirements are 1700 fpe at muzzle and i can achieve 1800 with only a 100 gr powder

One time in a foolish moment of my life I loaded my .504 Ultra Mag with 110 grains of Triple Seven 2f and a 460 No Excuse. It was because when I was on the DWB Board a person I talked to used that load to hunt elk in Colorado. I wanted to see how nasty it was. I shot five rounds that day and it was all I wanted.

The most I ever shot out of my .451 White White Tail was 100 grains of Triple Seven 2f and a 460 grain Bull Shop Conical. Wow that opened my eyes. But it was very accurate. I just can't think of how much energy that load had. I also shot some of Ed's Conicals with 90 grains and they were stout, but again.. very accurate. I settled on a deer load of only 60 grains and that conical. But remember, I don't shoot long distance. Very very accurate, easy to shoot, and just a nice load.

I think what you are going to try would be an excellent elk load. I see no reason it would not be devastating on an elk.

Man, hearing what loads you guys been shooting with your White's hurts my shoulder just thinking about it. I think if my Sr. Memory serves me correctly I think the highest I ever shot was 90gr of P. While it was very accurate with the NoExcuse 460gr bullets. I said "No Thank You". I've found 65-70gr of 777-3F or Swiss 3F is my comfort zone plus the accuracy is hard to beat as well.

edmehlig said:
Man, hearing what loads you guys been shooting with your White's hurts my shoulder just thinking about it. I think if my Sr. Memory serves me correctly I think the highest I ever shot was 90gr of P. While it was very accurate with the NoExcuse 460gr bullets. I said "No Thank You". I've found 65-70gr of 777-3F or Swiss 3F is my comfort zone plus the accuracy is hard to beat as well.
70 would be my preference but the only way i could use the White for an elk hunt is to go with 100 gr otherwise i dont meet the legal fpe requirement . I have thought about using a different gun . Thats the hardest decision of all , which gun to use . Maybe a Parker sabotless load or something like that in the fast twist Knight

I'd go with the White. You can't beat that big solid piece of Lead. I'm sure it will provide you with plenty of deep penetration and will mushroom just fine. If ya ever want some of my 465gr conicals to try out let me know. Make us White boys proud and take you Elk with a White. :lol:

When I shoot 100gr of t7 in my white thunderbolt with a 460gr bull shops the recoil is manageable, if I shoot it in my X7 it's much more noticeable. I think the whites absorb recoil very nicely compared to some of the more modern guns of today. At least that's from my shoulders perspective.

Back