Knight Ultra Lite with bestill BP (pic heavy)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnT

Reaction score
I was out last Sunday and shot my "New to me" Knight Ultra Lite. I had ordered one of bestill's plugs and wanted to shoot it. I have not shot this rifle but about 3 times and only then a few rounds. I have also only been able to shoot anything 4 or 5 times in the last 7 months too. :cry: I found I am very rusty. :roll: But now it is getting a bit on the warm side too. Sunday was not too bad here on Long Island, at 9am it was only 68* and it was about 76* by noon when I quit. I tried allowing at least 5 minutes between shots so the barrel would not heat up too much.

I acquired this Ultra Lite from one of the other members here and it is a very early one. I guess I (and he) was lucky with this one as it had a good head space with the original plug. I got a small pin gauge set to check on my plugs flash holes and the original plugs Flash hole was up to .037, not sure what Knight has Lehigh making them. I'm thinking I will see about getting this plug cut for a ventliner just as a back up. But now I have one of bestill's new plugs. :yeah:

When I got the new bestill plug I tried several primers here at home. He made mine based on the .299 I measured on the Win 209s I had and it looks like he got the sizing perfect. I had the before and after measurements written down but lost it. I can tell you that I am getting a great seal/crush on all the primers I have tried so far. I have the following primers on hand that I tried Sunday, Win 209, RemSTS, Fed209A, CCI 209 and 209M. I tried popping 2 of each, plus an extra for a total of 11 popped primers without loads, to start and all came out perfectly clean and fell out by just tipping the rifle over to the right. :yeah: I even noticed that I could see the primer debris coming out of the muzzle too. I shot in total 30 primers, 19 loads and all primers were clean and just fell out. :yeah:

Here are the first 10 primers. I place a patch on the jag for the first 3 primers to see how much flame got to the powder side. I always do this when drying the plug. you can see that it burned those patches great!

I started out shooting 110gnV/77gnW of BH209, Win 209, MMP HPH-24, and Harvester 300gn PT. I did shoot one PT from a Crushrib just to see how they fit the bore. It was not bad at all but I preferred the fit of the MMP HPH 24. I made a couple scope adjustments vertically. I have no idea why Photobucket is rotating some of my pictures, they are not that way on their site. :evil: All shooting was done at 100 yards.

Next bumped up the charge to 120gnV/84gnW (My measurements are based on my old TDC measure). I know the 2 that went left on me was just me, like I said I am pretty rusty and learning a new rifle to boot. :mrgreen: But am loving this rifle! :D I think the PTs are going to shoot great too!

This is 5 shots with the same charge and a 275 blood line with supplied orange sabot. Again I lost a couple, one to the left pretty bad. Need more trigger time to get the rust out. :roll:

These last 3 shots were the same load but with a 300gn Speer DC. Not sure why the difference in POI but it is what it is.

This is the action AFTER all 30 primers fired.

Bestill, GREAT Job on the Breech plug! :yeah:

I love how fried those patches look.

I may have to take mine upto the 25 yard indoor range just to do some testing. Thursdays they have a early special for $17 as long as you want to shoot.

Yeah, i already checked and they said it would be ok. :D

GM54-120 wrote, I love how fried those patches look.

Me too. :D My KRB7 does that after all the mods I did to it. This rifle is so sealed up that you can see the primer debris leave the muzzle when just popping a primer. :D

I forgot to load this pic of all primers fired. Tried to load it up later but could not get back on the site for some reason. :huh?:

Does anyone know what Knight had Lehigh drill the flash holes to on new plugs?

Flame channel5/32
Flash hole on mine .030 (bushing)
Original Lehigh flash hole .028

ronlaughlin said:
ShawnT said:
Does anyone know what Knight had Lehigh drill the flash holes to on new plugs?

New flash hole in brazed plug is about 0.032".
Thanks Ron, that is about what I expected. This is the new Brazed plug. The rifle was used and has been shot, now it is .037.

Do you cut those Brazed vents out? I remember you said they were pretty hard.

Yes, i have removed several brazed vents, and installed removable vents. Yes, they are very very hard, and not particularly fun to do. The task has a tendency to ruin cutting tools. The bestill plug is a good deal.

Excellent review! Thanks for the pictures and bringing your data to the group! :yeah:

The bestill plug is the only way to fly.
Mine is such a great fit and finish I am tempted to simply throw away the three unused/unfired factory plugs I own!

Back