Hunting Load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I must admit I've been distracted. It started last winter with the purchase of an 1918 Enfield in a 303 British. I had to tune it up and develop a load ( still searching ) Then, Turkey Hunts in three different states. Then, several fishing outings and now my Son gets married next Saturday. Whew!!

But it's now mid July and the Cicadas are singing, some of the grasses have gone dormant and late season butterfly's are starting to show up. Our early MZ season is mid September and its not too early to start thinking about a good hunting load.

I've shot everything over the years but I'm currently fixated on the Lehigh / Knight Red Hots. We've taken two deer with them and they are devastating on game. My choice is as follows:

200s for the 45 - In either a 1/20 or 1/30 barrel
250s for the 50 - It hammered them last year
275s for the 52 - i don't think I've even shot them yet but I traded for the bullets and I'm sure they will be effective.

I know all will do the job. Any thoughts on a best load? I hunt West KS and long shots are a possibility as I can set up for hunting close up or long range.

While the best load may very depending on the conditions and location the main thing is what your particular gun will shoot accurately'
Since we use some of the same bullets I will tell you what works for me.
In the 45 Pro Hunter [steel receiver ] I use the bloodline 200 gr. with 120 gr. BH. groups normally run from 7/8 to 1.5 inches, its normally quite warm here in AR and I get tired of waiting for it to cool. The other 2 loads I use in this gun is 70 gr. BH. with a 180 gr. XTP for ground hogs and the 200 gr Shock Wave for antelope 120 gr. BH.
In the Endeavor Encore I use the 250 Lehigh with 140 gr of BH. This gun also has a steel receiver or I would not use this load. The stress tester shows the pressure as just a bit more than 120 gr. of 777 but the recoil would tear up an aluminum or alloy receiver.
I have used these loads on deer, bear and feral pigs and they are devastating. Be careful where you shoot them because it is easy to ruin a lot of meat, last year I shot a 9 point running away from me, in the edge of the back left ham diagonally through the body and the bullet ended up in the skin of the right front shoulder after breaking the bone. the 200 grain bullet weight was 167 gr. it is the only one of the 7 animal I have taken with Lehigh bullet that I was able to recover.

Latest posts

Back