250g TEZ -- 50g Blackhorn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This shooting is from July 11, 2015.

jugset.jpg

The Barnes bullet was shot into the trap placed 25 yard away. The impact speed was near 1200 fps.

The bullet penetrated through all 5 jugs, missed the phone book, and went away. A determined search using a metal detector, was done the next day. The bullet was found off to the right about 15 feet away.

IMG_0465.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

IMG_0476.JPG

IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

The photo show the tip was jammed into the bullet, and the end of the bullet was plugged by plywood, and carpet stuff. The bullet did not expand, and did little damage to the water jugs. One wonders if hair, hide, and bone would do the same.

When fired into the same trap pushed by 80g Blackhorn, the bullet did not get plugged, and expanded nicely

Who uses 50 grains of powderwith a sabot, outside of youths?
For that amount of bullet size and powder, I'd stick to the softer lead 180 QT Polymer Tip or 200gr /44-cal XTP. When kicking the load up to 80 grains, then move over to the TEZ or 200gr Shockwave.

The impact speed was near 1200 fps

Who uses 50 grains of powderwith a sabot, outside of youths?
The load Ron used is designed to simulate impact speed at longer ranges.

I thought that was fairly clear after all his bullet testing posts. Apparently i was wrong.

A lot of Rons testing is with 80 grns BH with no mention of mv. This is fine testing. Imo it would be important to know at which distance the velocity slows to 1200 fps given any particular mv with a greater powder charge. At the same time I also understand the importance of bullet performance with the lower mv such as you would get with a light youth load. At the end of the day I like all of the tests Ron does because it helps to stress how important bullet performance really is. I also think BuckDoeHunter's comment is probably right on.

Anyone have an idea what the velocity is in this test?

Thank you for your time.

FWIW this is a recovered Barnes 290 gr T-EZ bullet that was shot into a buck at approximately 40/45 yards. The rifle is a CVA Accura MR and the powder charge was 2 pellets of T7. I have no data on the MV but the deer went about 30 yards and piled up. The test results above are interesting and would appreciate any other comments.

IMG_3273.jpg

zach.trumble said:

Thank you for your time.

Zach, Velocity was 1200 FPS, simulating this bullet slowing at longer shots.

Re: RE: Re: 250g TEZ -- 50g Blackhorn

bacass said:
zach.trumble said:

Thank you for your time.

Zach, Velocity was 1200 FPS, simulating this bullet slowing at longer shots.
That's what I was trying to figure out - this bullet did not open, so at what range would this begin to be an issue? I like the Barnes bullet and was going to work up a load using it in the 200-yard range.

I like that it is not a lead bullet. It makes me nervous that a number of these bullets in these tests are fragmented into multiple pieces that can end up hiding in my meat.

The test says that this bullet ends up being 208g or something like that. Where did the rest of its mass go? It doesn't look like any pieces broke off of it.

I like the idea of a bullet that stays together.

Thank you for your time.

zach.trumble said:
...........this bullet did not open, so at what range would this begin to be an issue? I like the Barnes bullet and was going to work up a load using it in the 200-yard range. .......
What you should do is use a ballistic calculation program, and input your load information. This will provide the answer you seek. Follows is an example.

250teza.jpg

The bullet that failed to open was traveling about 1200 fps. Note the calculation say this won't happen until the bullet reaches about 225 yard. The powder charge for the example was 100 grain Blackhorn from Western Powders website. To ensure the bullet will work at 200 yard, one could use a charge of 105 grain or more of Blackhorn, and be totally confident.

The test says that this bullet ends up being 208g or something like that. Where did the rest of its mass go? It doesn't look like any pieces broke off of it.
The bullet weighed 250 grain minus the weight of the plastic tip; no mass was lost.

Here is the same bullet shot through the same test, only pushed by 80 grain Blackhorn.

Ron, thank you for the explanation.

In another thread I've been reading about how unreliable reported ballistic coefficients are. Isn't that key to using the ballistics calculator?

Thank you for your time.

Yes, the calculation will not be accurate if the input data isn't accurate.

Keep in mind that BC is a variable determined by the speed of the bullet. You may notice that Barnes BC seem lower than other similar bullets. Barnes is providing a BC for realistic lower speeds that apply to real world experience. Check out Sierra' website for more truth in BC.

Many on these forum preach that one needs to shoot their rifle at different ranges, using different loads, to truly understand how the bullets fly. Shooters should spend more time at the range, and less time at the keyboard....... it seems.

A bullet that worked good in testing when pushed by only 50 grain Blackhorn was the 250 grain Monoflex. You may want to give it a try?

ronlaughlin said:
Many on these forum preach that one needs to shoot their rifle at different ranges, using different loads, to truly understand how the bullets fly. Shooters should spend more time at the range, and less time at the keyboard....... it seems.

Definitely plan on it. Just looking for a good place to start so I don't waste a lot of money. Some of these loads will go off at $2-$3 per bang!

If I need a hundred grains + of powder to maintain expansion velocity at 200 yards I don't see any point in experimenting with anything less than a hundred grains.

Thank you again for all the information in your posts it's very helpful for someone who's trying to learn.

Thank you for your time.

ronlaughlin said:

Definitely plan on it. Just looking for a good place to start so I don't waste a lot of money. Some of these loads will go off at $2-$3 per bang!

If I need a hundred grains + of powder to maintain expansion velocity at 200 yards I don't see any point in experimenting with anything less than a hundred grains.

Thank you again for all the information in your posts it's very helpful for someone who's trying to learn.

Thank you for your time.

Travis299 said:
FWIW this is a recovered Barnes 290 gr T-EZ bullet that was shot into a buck at approximately 40/45 yards. The rifle is a CVA Accura MR and the powder charge was 2 pellets of T7. I have no data on the MV but the deer went about 30 yards and piled up. The test results above are interesting and would appreciate any other comments.

This bullet is a Barnes 250 gr T-EZ and not a 290 as I was mistaken. The fired bullet weighed 246 gr after recovery.

71kcWdVh.jpg

Last year my son shot a buck at 50 yards, 250 grain Barnes TEZ with 80 grains of BlackHorn 209. head on shot this was recovered in between the hide and gut the tip was found in the neck 2” in, I’ve been shooting Barnes for a long time and blood everywhere and never had to hunt one down after it was shoot,
This post has me puzzle to why it did not open.

06997367b84d45e13f73cb0f4222ce1b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

280Bravo said:
Last year my son shot a buck at 50 yards, 250 grain Barnes TEZ with 80 grains of BlackHorn 209. head on shot this was recovered in between the hide and gut the tip was found in the neck 2” in, I’ve been shooting Barnes for a long time and blood everywhere and never had to hunt one down after it was shoot,
This post has me puzzle to why it did not open.

06997367b84d45e13f73cb0f4222ce1b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What might be hard to understand is that the 50gr charge used and its velocity, represented what the bullet would most likely do at long range. If you look over the ballistics chart, the range that the bullet would function SIMILAR TO, was around 225yds. According to Barnes, they need at minimum 1,100fps to expand properly. In this case, the velocity was listed as only slightly greater, but not so much greater to expect the bullet to expand perfectly. I'm not certain that a ballistic chart was included and explained in each of the tests.

Ron posted a chat but seems people don't understand or read the charts for velocity at certain distance.

45cal said:
Ron posted a chat but seems people don't understand or read the charts for velocity at certain distance.

I agree...I think people either don't read the threads, or assume something. Its pretty simple really.

Ron's testing is done methodically with a purpose in mind, and about as good as there is. IMO, its VERY useful when comparing to a potential real world use of a particular bullet in a certain scenario. At the end of the day, nothing is 100% accurate in all situations, at least this gives us a good idea where we might be. Good work Ron :yeah:

Latest posts

Back