Breaking in the new Accura V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boilermaker

Reaction score
I picked up my new CVA this morning and finally got some range time in. New out of the box I fitted it up with a Nikon inline XR 3x9x40, a Blackhorn QRBP and loaded it with 290gr Barnes TEZ pushed by 110gr of BH 209.
It took me 6 or so shots to get it where it needed to be at 40yds, the scope seemed slow to adjust up and down. After that I ran it out to 100yds and worked on my zero.

The top 6 shots were my first at 100yds, starting a little left and working my way center. The 2 out to the right were 250gr Traditions that I shot just to see where they would end up with the same 110gr of BH209.

I made some adjustments down and right and the next two shots were touching just outside the black diamond. I over adjusted to the right so I dialed it back 3 clicks and center punched the next shot. I stopped to clean the BP and barrel before shooting again but the rain decided I had enough for one day. I'll get it out again before season just to verify but I'm pretty confident that it's where it needs to be.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 586
  • image.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 586
I don't know why but when I loaded the photos they're rotated to the left, I'll try to fix it. If you click on them they appear correct.

Nice range report. Those 290 Tez's sure are tough to beat. Now see what a three or five shot group produces. It always rains when you least want. :applause:

rangerod said:
Nice range report. Those 290 Tez's sure are tough to beat. Now see what a three or five shot group produces. It always rains when you least want. :applause:

That second picture is a 3 shot group... I was shooting off a sandbag so next time I go I'll put it in a sled and see how close it'll drive'em

We are looking forward to another range report. Its always fun to work up a load for a new rifle. HC.

You & I have the exact same rifle & scope. These CVAs are crazy accurate and I would like to know if you tried the BH209 with the regular QRBP? My son uses BH209 in his MR with a modified QRBP while I use 2, T7s & the Barnes TEZ. Thanks

Travis299 said:
You & I have the exact same rifle & scope. These CVAs are crazy accurate and I would like to know if you tried the BH209 with the regular QRBP? My son uses BH209 in his MR with a modified QRBP while I use 2, T7s & the Barnes TEZ. Thanks
After reading on here and watching reviews I ended up buying the BH 209 QRBP and didn't even give the stock plug a chance. I may take it home and throw it on the lathe and make it a 209 plug as a back up. And yeah I'm totally impressed with this setup, can't wait to put some backstraps on the ground!

I noticed that you said you were going to clean the barrel before shooting again. Just be aware that cleaning your barrel when shooting BH209 is not advise able & will most likely change your POI.
Clean barrel vs fouled barrels usually do not shoot the same.

Greg

GregK said:
I noticed that you said you were going to clean the barrel before shooting again. Just be aware that cleaning your barrel when shooting BH209 is not advise able & will most likely change your POI.

Greg
I was unaware of that. I know it says BH 209 is not corrosive but do you not clean your barrel?

Blackhorn Powder IS corrosive, yes it is. Many of us have learned this fact the hard way. The choice is yours. Keeping my rifle loaded the entire season without shooting it, works fine. However, once one shoots the rifle, the Blackhorn residue is, yes it is, corrosive.

Boilermaker said:
GregK said:

Greg
I was unaware of that. I know it says BH 209 is not corrosive but do you not clean your barrel?

I think what Greg meant was that "cleaning between shots" is not advised (or needed) with BH209. By all means YES, clean after range sessions. Just pay close attention to the first shot on clean barrel. Some fly, some don't. You just need to know where you stand.

Great shooting by the way! :applause: :yeah:

Thanks guys! And thanks for clearing that up! Next range session I'll shoot a few times before I make any adjustments if any at all. I'm happy with the final grouping as far as hunting goes but I want to put it on a shooting sled and see how it groups when rock steady. I also want to run it out to 150 and maybe 200yds just to see what my holdover would be.

The guys are correct. I ALWAYS clean my guns thoroughly after a range session & I clean my breech plug every ten shots.
As for the hunting season I usually leave mine fouled. I have found that a patch just barely dampened with 90% isopropyl alcohol & run up & down the dirty barrel once cuts the caustic by product of burnt BH209, stops any rust from forming, & maintains zero.
Your other option is to completely clean & dry the barrel after every shot. Then you'll have a clean barrel & know you're POI.

Greg

When I am hunting I know my V2 will be just as accurate for shots 2, 3 or 4 after a clean barrel 1st shot. I have every confident that the V2 will be just as accurate as my WIN M70 30-06 on these shots. If I shoot my V2 hunting I always clean the rifle at the end of day so that I always start with a clean rifle. My POI is EXACTLY the same with a clean barrel or a fouled one. I shoot 2 pellets of T7 with Barnes T-EZ bullets. My son uses BH209 in his MR with the same results.

Travis299 said:
When I am hunting I know my V2 will be just as accurate for shots 2, 3 or 4 after a clean barrel 1st shot. I have every confident that the V2 will be just as accurate as my WIN M70 30-06 on these shots. If I shoot my V2 hunting I always clean the rifle at the end of day so that I always start with a clean rifle. My POI is EXACTLY the same with a clean barrel or a fouled one. I shoot 2 pellets of T7 with Barnes T-EZ bullets. My son uses BH209 in his MR with the same results.

You're very fortunate because that's almost unheard of.

Greg

Latest posts

Back