Ruger 77/50 dressed up and ready, your thoughts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike nelson

Reaction score
I purchased a used (like new) Ruger Muzzleloader this spring on Armslist. I have read several posts about Armslist and deals that did not go too well. I got lucky and the deal went flawlessly. Blued barrel, wood stock and early production year bolt housing that only enclosed the breach plug about 30% when the bolt is in the closed position. Here is what I've done with it since.
- replaced the percussion cap breech plug and bolt plunger with the current canadian manufacturer version 209 breech plug and 209 primer bolt plunger.
-found a factory new bolt housing (later production year) that now encloses the breech plug over 50%. With the bolt closed only about 3/16" is exposed
all of that opening is horizontal to the right. If there is any blowback it will be only to the right and away from my scope and front ring,I'm right handed.
-replaced the walnut finished (birch)stock with a factory black/grey laminated (non-thumbhole) stock that was a 100% drop-in
-installed a 2-7x32 Weaver Ballisticplex recticle muzzleloader/shotgun scope with rear medium and front medium offset Ruger rings. This does not
interfere with the factory iron sights and I made a scope ring bolt wrench to carry in the field if I ever need to remove the scope while hunting.
My previous muzzleloader experience has been on deer with a TC Omega, triple 7pellets, winchester muzzleloader 209's and TC Shockwave and Barnes expander bullets. I prefer the Barnes Expander because of their expansion but would like to now use Blackhorn 209 because of reported less smoke.
Your thoughts on switching to BH209 powder, Barnes bullet and a suggested load with a particular brand 209 primer. I've tried starting and seating several bullet/sabot combinations and the Barnes with factory sabot takes a good 2-handed effort but is do-able in the field. I've read that with some slam fires (plunger guns) that some types of 209 primers are having primer parts separating during ignition. I'm a shotshell reloader and have a balance beam scale and intend to weight any loose powder charges. I'm itching to shoot this gun, thanks for any constructive comments.

Latest posts

Back