Super DISC Shoot...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Finally got some time and I chose to go to the rock pit to get some shooting in. It is really to hot but sometimes you just gotta do what ya gotta do + I wanted to look for another possible hunting spot in the area, since our good one is now being logged by Potlatch.

I got to the Rock Pit just in time - nobody was there - but as I was unloading and setting up another rig drove in looking for a place to shoot also. He continued on up the road to the higher pit. I chose the pit as it is almost impossible to start a fire shooting. My alternative spot at the farm is full fresh stubble - rules that one out.

Set up the portable bench and then walked 5 targets down to the wall. When I got to the wall and at the base of the pit run was a vertical stick. I placed a target hanging on the top of the stick and placed the other four on the rock wall. When I got back to the truck and the setup I looked for the target on the stick - gone! the wind must have blown it off.

Loaded up the first two and an shot them at the stick. It was probably 1 1/2 - 2" in diameter - looked through the scope and put the crosshairs right at the bottom of a knot that I could see on the stick. Shot #1 on a clean barrel was the hole in the duct tape farthest to the left. I decided to go one more on a Semi Fouled bore like I normally shoot and it clipped the stick on to the right of the first shot... I adjusted the scope 3 clicks right and decided to go after the 4 birds on the wall.

It is a little bit early but this is the rifle I plan to use during a regular rifle Whitetail season so I wanted to check Point of Impact. and make sure it was ready to go. I plan to do the same thing again during the first week of October just before the season starts.

It was just fun to get out and run a few down range...

Here are some pictures of the mornings events...

By the time I got done with the temp gauge on the phone was saying 81* good time to quit!!!

sabot. I have a question. How do you know if you have a super disc? I got a knight last month and it might be a super disc. It is a .45 and did shoot the orange disc till i converted it over to bare primer. Also it does have the fluted barrel. thanks for any info

bike4500 said:
sabot. I have a question. How do you know if you have a super disc? I got a knight last month and it might be a super disc. It is a .45 and did shoot the orange disc till i converted it over to bare primer. Also it does have the fluted barrel. thanks for any info

It depends on the serial number of the rifle - I am on the road right now and do not have access to those numbers until I get back. But there is a chance if it was an Original DISC rifle that it might be.

Here you go, .45 Blued Knight Disc- 1-20 twist, 000001 thru 002291 are 1-20, .45 Blued Knight Disc- 002292 and after are 1-30 twist

.45 SS Knight Disc 1-20 twist, 000001 thru 005043 are 1-20 twist, .45 SS Knight Disc- 005044 and after are 1-30 twist.

I hope this helps. :yeah:

sqezer said:
Here you go, .45 Blued Knight Disc- 1-20 twist, 000001 thru 002291 are 1-20, .45 Blued Knight Disc- 002292 and after are 1-30 twist

.45 SS Knight Disc 1-20 twist, 000001 thru 005043 are 1-20 twist, .45 SS Knight Disc- 005044 and after are 1-30 twist.

Man that's some great info.

I must have a 1-30 twist. MY number is 5462. I thought i read somewhere that a super disc has the fluted barrel. The gun shot the orange disc when i got it but now it's shooting the bare metal primer. So much cleaner.

bike4500 said:
I must have a 1-30 twist. MY number is 5462. I thought i read somewhere that a super disc has the fluted barrel. The gun shot the orange disc when i got it but now it's shooting the bare metal primer. So much cleaner.

I believe I was told by Knight staff a few years ago that all original DISC 45 cal were fluted and 50 cal were not, both SS and blue.

sqezer said:

Hey sqezer, do you have this same info on the 50 calibers?

All 50cal Knights after the very early MKs were 1-28 with the exception of some prototypes. Not long ago Grouse sold a Mountaineer 1-24 prototype.

Super DISC first showed up in their 2001 catalog - 45 cal 1:20 twist, shooting a 150gr projectile w/sabot at 2600fps.
I think before then all were 50cal.
According to Knight, many were returned as they shot poorly. That's where we see the serial number change (in both SS & Blue) as they changed to a 1:30 twist.

I would expect a 150gr 40cal bullet in the old formula sabot with 3 pellets to shoot poorly in pretty much any 45cal ML. Traditions, Knight and T/C all jumped on that 2600fps bandwagon and failed badly with it.

There are too many people today shooting a 200gr 40cal in a sabot much faster in 1-20 or 1-22 twist barrels and they shoot just fine. Myself included, 2700fps is a walk in the park in the custom builds with the Harvester light blue sabot.

Back