I know this sounds crazy. Fixed plug conversion.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have had erosion of the breech sealing surfaces cost me 2 good rifles. I am very particular about cleaning and lubricating the plug and threads so its quite troublesome. The first to go was my Omega. Swapped out plugs every 400 rounds when the flame aperture opened enough to effect accuracy. It makes sense that the sealing surfaces didn't match well. The gas cutting on the barrel surface was evident at about 1000 shots.
The next was my Black Diamond XR 50. The barrel surface had numerous tool marks and began leaking at about 1400 rounds.
The Omega plug had a very wide face ( for supporting pyro pellets), while the Black Diamond has a very narrow face and the mouth of the plug is much large than the bore. 45 and 50 caliber plugs being identical. The Omega and the 50 Black Diamond were blued. The 45, stainless.
I've never heard for sealing issues with fixed breech plugs so I'm thinking of making a plug for my Super 45 XR that would be a fixed type. Flat faced with a slight funnel onto a powder chamber. The nipple threads can be cleaned from the rear. The current flange on the back of the plug ( under the spot for the wrench) should be thread minor diameter to make thorough cleaning possible. The plug could be removed when necessary to check when necessary. Might be a lot, but I don't want to lose another rifle. Crazy?

Back