Snapping caps

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50bowhunter

Reaction score
What's the opinions on firing a primer or two before shooting/hunting on a clean barrel. I've always fired two primers before loading since I started muzzleloading 20 years ago. I've never thought twice about it until last year. I did my usual loading routine, and left it loaded for about 3 weeks during hunting season. When I went to clean, there was considerable fouling in the breach, about 4" up from the plug. The gun had not been fired, just the primers. It took a lot of time to scrub that funk out and I'm still not happy with how it looks.

My question is, if I dry patch the barrel and check the flash hole of the plug, is it necessary to pop a primer or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm from the old school and say yes to popping one or two caps. In fact what I like to do is insert a dry patch into the bore and push it down all the way and then fire the cap. If the patch come out burnt you know the flash hole is clear, plus it helps to insure all/any oil that may be lingering around the cup of your breec plug is burnt out and won't have the chance of contaminating your charge. If you don't want to push down a patch then by all means fire two caps. By the way, the residue from the caps is not corrosive so it won't have a negative effect in your bore.

The residue is not corrosive. But the carbon it coats the breech with will attract and hold moisture in a humid environment. Popping caps is not something I do if I intend to leave the gun loaded for many days.

My hunting guns are sighted in for the first shot on a cold clean barrel, and that's how I load for hunting. It's quite easy to assure the flame channel is clear before loading by pumping a wet alcohol patch up and down the bore.

I too fired caps from the very beginning of my ML experience mainly because the video I got with my first inline, Knight LK93, said to do it. Always worked for me and never had a misfire. It actually became sort of an annual tradition the night before opening ML season.

However, I am now making sure the breech plug is clean and using a light coating of liquid graphite swabbed in the barrel. I read this thread last fall and tried it and it eliminated the first shot flier. Actually works like a charm!

Check it out:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27635&p=213436&hilit=graphite#p213436

Always with a percussion gun with patent breech, like Ed with a patch on my ramrod down to the breech.
Like Hal and many others I learned this 'snapping' is necessary UNTIL going to the range once with my in-line and snapped a 209 primer as usual, then loaded rifle and it didn't go off x2 or x3 more primers... Forgot my wrench so back home I went..
209 Remington Kleanbore plugged up the primer channel - never again I thought will I do that since I recall reading a 209 is 10-15x more powerful than a #11 cap.
So, now after cleaning, I blow out my breach plugs channel with air (compressor) and don't snap anything, as always I wipe my bores with a damp oil patch after cleaning, then before going to shoot/hunt I run a clean patch down - so far no ignition issues with my in-lines.
Also, my breech plugs faces are flat.

Ran into the same problem years ago , now before loading for hunting I clean every thing with boiling water and dry it then I reassemble and load so far it has worked 100%.

I have been snapping a cap on my ML rifles an shotgun since I got started back in '93 without any problems. I swab the oil out with an alcohol patch then dry patch an snap a cap into a leaf or something that will indicate a clear plug/barrel. This is with a #11 cap and T7 2F/3F powder. I also have done this with Win 209A primers with no problems with BH209.

For first shot accuracy I wrap the conical with white tape and load after that shot the barrel is dirty and ready for any followup shots if needed. Which is with my White muzzleloaders.

Only range time with the Optima V2 rifle and pistol so time will tell with them.

Works for me, so not changing a thing...

Excepting at reenactments, never popped a cap before loading. Never had need to. Swab the bore and don't oil the inside of the plug or bolster/drum ( a light coat of Hopes #9 does quite nicely)and you won't have issues. Why introduce fouling of any type before firing?

I pop 3 Primers with a patch on the Rod as mentioned. Never had an issue. Also as mentioned it is my evening ritual to do this the evening before I go hunting. none of my bores have ever suffered any ill effects.

ShawnT said:
I pop 3 Primers with a patch on the Rod as mentioned. Never had an issue. Also as mentioned it is my evening ritual to do this the evening before I go hunting. none of my bores have ever suffered any ill effects.

And they never will!

Back