Getting Ready

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My hunting rifle is an Omega X7 with a 1X scope mounted. Here lately i have been doing preliminary preparation for hunting season. Different bullets have seemed to shoot kinda OK, but every once in awhile there seemed to be a flier. Thinking maybe the scope mount might be loose, i checked that out, and discovered the action wobbled in the stock. The wobble didn't go away when i tightened the lug screws, so i had to disassemble the rifle. That is when i discovered the lugs were loose on the barrel. To get at the rear screws one has to remove the trigger from the rifle; this isn't particularly fun. Tightening the screws requires a tiny little torx driver, and i had to grind off part of the hex to get the driver through the lug to the screws. Think it was a T7. Instead of tightening them, i removed them one at a time, applied red loctite; then tightened them.

Knowing the rifle wouldn't be aimed properly, i went out this morning to shoot, see, and adjust. After several shots, and adjustments, the rifle seemed to be consistent, so a move to 200 yard was made. Hopefully the rifle will work good later, when it cools off, and hunting season is really near.

IMG_1864.JPG

Nice shooting!!
I also had to red locktight my Omega lugs in place. Hasnt been an issue since.
It always amazes me the groups you can put together at that range with a 1x scope!

I have a couple of x7's, both needed red locktight. One had a cracked lug.... Check the lugs with with some dye for cracks if the problem comes back. My favorite x7 is a blued (Cabela's) with a cheap TC synthetic stock. Barrel is clearly free floated and the whole gun weight about 5 lbs. Shoots .40 cal 200 grain sst with 85 grains bh209 great with a a williams fp peep.

The loggers started cutting up top, and are using the area where i can shoot 200 yard, for their corridor. They ran a blade on the old trail, and soon there will be 18 wheelers bringing the logs down. It will be months before i will shoot 200 yards in the old spot there. Shucks.

It was 52 degrees when i arrived up there, and there was almost zero breeze. Set up for 100 yard shooting about a mile away, and shot 3 shots at the typing paper. These shots had me dial the scope down 1/2 moa, before shooting some more. Graf sent some free targets along with bullets i had purchased, so i pasted one over the first 3 shots, and took 3 more.

IMG_1865.JPG

What with the first shot being from a cold clean barrel, the first group was about twice as big as the second.

Thank you! However, the group in the upper photo may look nice, but to me the best group is the first, which was covered up by the stick on target. Was able to peel the paper off the cardboard, and photograph the backside; shown below.

IMG_1866.JPG

The three holes through only one paper are the first three shots from the rifle yesterday morning. The first shot, furthest left, from a cold squeaky clean barrel fits right in with the second and third shots, and that is why, the hunter, believes it to be the 'best' group.

Sorry to hear about the 200 yard range closing. Amazing groups, what is the load?

Thank you for pointing that out 1874sharpshooter.

Harvester crush ribs come in 44/50 and 45/50, I would be happy to get you the part numbers if that would help. 300 grain xtp's come in .430 and 0.452 std and mag versions part numbers 44280, 45230 and 45235. I have a couple of X7's and have never seen groups that tight at 100.

Sorry for the confusion; should have been more specific. Edited the photo; it now reads 'black' crush rib. Thinking back, i don't believe i have ever shot a tighter group. Thinking ahead, i doubt i ever will shoot another like it. But still, to me the best group is the first, which contains 'that first shot'.

No need to be sorry. Thank you for the information. I really would love to shoot a group like that first one!

Latest posts

Back