Scope Ideas and eye relief

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbm19692016

Reaction score
Utah is slowing magnified scopes this year and I want to put one on my CVA Accura. How much eye relief should I be looking for and what are some ideas for a decent scope under $150?

I put the Nikon Inline Muzzleloader scope on my V2. Accurate and 2.5" to 3.5" eye relief, (edit-note spec is 5" http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/niko ... c-300.html).

My sons chose the Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x 40mm scope for their MRs.

IMG_2743.jpg

With the price range you suggest there are some real good scopes. Some of my favorite are the Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32mm. It has 3.75 eye relief and excellent optics and glass. Also that scope will hold true. I shoot three of them and after sighting them in, taking them on and off with removable mounts they still shoot true.

Another one I have wanted to try but never did was the Leupold 3-9x40. I think it is called the rifleman model. I have seen them at Wal Mart for around $158.00 and they are a nice looking scope (holding it up to the light and looking around the store ... as if that means anything). Also I think Redfield makes the same scope for around the same money.

Something to watch are sales at say Cabela's and Natchez. I picked up some very nice scopes for so cheap, I bought them even through I did not need them. Also I got three of the Cabela's powerhorn scopes. Now I know some of the guys did not like them. But personally, i have no complaints with them.

Travis299 said:
I put the Nikon Inline Muzzeloader scope on my V2. Accurate and 2.5" to 3.5" eye relief. My sons chose the Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x 40mm scope for their MRs.

IMG_2743.jpg

All my Nikon muzzleloader scopes are 5 inches of eye relief. 2.5 inches is not much.

I have Nikon Omega and XR muzzleloader scopes on most of my muzzleloaders, they work very well and on one, a lot of recoil. I do prefer the BDC reticle and do use it. Last year was on a buck at 304yds.

I bought a Sightron SIH on eBay for $126 TMD. Not a great scope but decent for the money. They retail for $200. Works well on the Optima.

For a muzzleloader I want at least 3.5" of eye relief. I've made do with less but thankfully I always wear glasses when I shoot. Lots of choices out there but in the sub $150, I would look at the Nikon 2-7x ProStaff (3.8" of eye relief) which is right at the limit of your budget. If you really just want something to put on your scope until you can save up for some serious glass get this:

http://swfa.com/Simmons-4x32-ProHunter- ... P3412.aspx

You may find it is all the scope you will ever need on your rifle.

Another vote for the Prostaff 2x7. However if you can put the money up front, I would get a Leupold VX1 3x9 or 2x7. They are currently doing a $50 rebate on VX1s which would get you around 150.

For what you want to spend get a Vortex Crossfire 2
Plenty of relief & very clear & sharp glass.
Call Carlos at Eds Gun Shop
910-692-7936

Greg

GregK said:
For what you want to spend get a Vortex Crossfire 2
Plenty of relief & very clear & sharp glass.
Call Carlos at Eds Gun Shop
910-692-7936

Greg

I agree with Greg ..for the money you cant beat a Vortex...I have both Vortex and Leupolds VX-r's and like the Vortex for the money..very clear..lifetime warranty ..great eye relief...as said Call Carlos..he will take care of you...

Al

Fiirst thing that happened when Iread 2- 1/" of eye releif was a twitch in my right eye! :shock:

firedawg60 said:
Are the Crossfire IIs made in China?

Crossfire=China
Diamondback=Philippines
Viper=Japan

All Vortex CS and repair issues are handled right here in the USA though and they have a great reputation for customer service.

Latest posts

Back