TC Pro Hunter FX vs CVA Accura V2 - (Long rant ...sorry)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't say issues with primers sticking. I asked how is blowback controlled with different length primers.

To fix blowback in CVA's is very simple. I can put in the shims in less than 5min. Some use 0-rings. I'm not fond of that method. You can also stick to using Winchester primers and blowback is very small to none at all.

As for triggers? The Accura's have an external screw to adjust trigger pull, but all the triggers in the whole line up are crisp and creep free. What has to be done to the Pro Hunter trigger to fix it? Not many will like an 8lb trigger.

Then you have the problem of TC's not shooting conicals well. Some do and some don't, but even when they do the accuracy is usually not as good as CVA's.

I'm not putting the Pro Hunter down, but it's not as friendly out of the box as CVA's. If you get one that doesn't shoot conicals and you live in Colorado. You're in trouble.

Muley Hunter said:
I didn't say issues with primers sticking. I asked how is blowback controlled with different length primers.

To fix blowback in CVA's is very simple. I can put in the shims in less than 5min. Some use 0-rings. I'm not fond of that method. You can also stick to using Winchester primers and blowback is very small to none at all.

As for triggers? The Accura's have an external screw to adjust trigger pull, but all the triggers in the whole line up are crisp and creep free. What has to be done to the Pro Hunter trigger to fix it? Not many will like an 8lb trigger.

Then you have the problem of TC's not shooting conicals well. Some do and some don't, but even when they do the accuracy is usually not as good as CVA's.

I'm not putting the Pro Hunter down, but it's not as friendly out of the box as CVA's. If you get one that doesn't shoot conicals and you live in Colorado. You're in trouble.

I wasn't comparing rifles. If you want to change, fix, repair, modify to YOUR liking the trigger, its easy.

For me the bottom line is the gun was a totally stressful and fiscally losing and exhausting experience. For the price paid for the gun, extra money spent on aftermarket sights, money spent powder and bullets and time at the range the gun proved not to be a winner and I was the loser. Expensive lesson. That dog didn't hunt.....
I bought the gun specifically for a Colorado muzzloader hunt. The rules are no sabots, scopes or pellets. For a TC not to meet those requirements is a joke. The trigger was like pulling a mule through mud. The stock felt cheap and hollow, kicked like a mule. The gun did not live up to the "reputation" TC once had.
The CVA was cheaper, has shot extremely well with anything I have put down the pipe and has a sweet crisp and adjustable trigger. It has more mass, less recoil, feels/fits better and is so easy to breakdown to clean.
Hands down a better gun. Yes, I spent $5 for the spacers to eliminate blowback. It worked and the primers are as clean coming out as they were going in. Again, this my story and I am sticking with it. You'd be hard pressed to make me change my mind.

I've had experiences like that where stuff just didn't live up to the reputation. If it was my rifle I'd sell it and move on, but I hate going through the experience.

Tannhauser said:
I've had experiences like that where stuff just didn't live up to the reputation. If it was my rifle I'd sell it and move on, but I hate going through the experience.

That's exactly what I did and happier for it.

I realize this is an old thread but man I'm really sorry about your Pro Hunter FX not being able to get sighted in. But glad you were able to solve your issue in time with the CVA to be able to get your elk.
I have the Accura V2 and its a shooter. I also have an Encore Pro Hunter in .45 cal that really shoots good too. But its scoped. I have it set up to shoot 200 gr Hornady XTPs in blue CR sabots and 70 gr of Black MZ. My grandson uses it during PA's early muzzy season and he loves it.

Latest posts

Back