let's talk HUNTING!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaska viking

Reaction score
Deer season has opened, here, but the bucks are still lounging in the alpine, and I don't have the couple of days yet to get to them. Will wait for snow, (maybe) , to drive them down.
Moose opens September 15'th for most areas, but we have few moose in this area. We do have quite a few bears, however, and guess I will work on them while waiting on the deer.
Others? Would love to hear of good hunts with the MZ!

I generally have to wait for the 2nd weekend of November to get in the deerstand when firearms season starts. But I took up bowhunting this year so that season starts in 16 days! Very excited to give that a try. Had a setback Monday night when we got 10" of rain in 4 hours! Went out to my already went swampy woods Tuesday night and it's water up to my needs in most spots. Makes putting my stand up this weekend a bit harder. All to feed the family huh.

Here in IA bow season opens 1 Oct. Runs through first few days of Dec until gun season opens. Have trail cameras out hoping to get a picture of a giant I saw last year but couldn't get a shot. Hunted late muzzleloader last year but hampered by deep snow and very cold temperatures. We can hunt regular shotgun season with muzzleloader so that's the plan. Lots of hunters in the woods keeping the deer moving.

Bear hunting opens this month here. But I didn't apply for a kill permit. And the number of them around the house is real low. Which is fine with me.

Only small game for me till last week of Nov/first week of Dec.

7 days 20 hours until I throw the whites in the dodge and head for deer camp! A scouting trip showed real promise in a new spot so hopes are high that we will return with a few nice bucks and hopefully a cow elk also.

Archery antelope hunting right now , kids get to start deer hunting in 9 days . Then archery deer in 3 weeks . October we start antelope ( gun) mid october is my elk hunt . Lots of hunting for the next 4 1/2 months :)

I can't wait.
Antlerless deer starts on Saturday.
Archery in October.
Muzzleloader and Firearms in November.

Bow season starts on the 15th, but probably won't go til mid Oct. Just can't get to excited til it cools off. But from mid Oct to mid Feb it's on

The early muzzleloader deer season open Sept 24th here, bow 2 weeks earlier; general rifle opens the last Friday in October, and lasts until the first Saturday in December, except for bow which ends a week later. We have a very generous season length, but low deer densities.

My son and I are looking forward to the opener.

Best of luck to all this season!

Three matches to attend before ML season in November.
ML season this year is a bonus x2; get to go Birthday hunting with one of my favorite rifles - it's 150 years old this year, if I'm real lucky I'll get one with each barrel! Plus, going ML pheasant hunting in Iowa.

I already did an elk hunt. Bear hunt starts this Sat. Muley buck starts in last week of Oct.

Next year i'm going to concentrate on just bear to help out the DOW. Numbers are too high in Co.

Big fat Goose egg for me, my kids or I did not draw for any hunts this year, in Az we have to draw tags for big game, there is some over the counter type tags for archery deer, maybe next year, good luck to all this year

Hac said:
Big fat Goose egg for me, my kids or I did not draw for any hunts this year, in Az we have to draw tags for big game, there is some over the counter type tags for archery deer, maybe next year, good luck to all this year

That SUCKS, no tags in the State you live in. I leave with my son on Oct.31st. for an Elk hunt in CO. going to use my .52 that I got from sabotloader.

sqezer said:
Hac said:

Thanks SUCKS, no tags in the State you live in. I leave with my son on Oct.31st. for an Elk hunt in CO. going to use my .52 that I got from sabotloader.

Yea it sucks, all I have this year is to try and do some bird hunting, I have never went out of my home state to hunt so I don't know if it's to late or not, and how expensive it is, so you help a fellow hunter out and post some pictures when the deed is done so I can at least least imagine :yeah:

Ill be crossing over the border in about a week and a half for MD early bow and to scout for ML, bow in va is Oct for me.....Now we just need the temp to stay down :oops: :)

sqezer said:
Thanks SUCKS, no tags in the State you live in. I leave with my son on Oct.31st. for an Elk hunt in CO. going to use my .52 that I got from sabotloader.

Yes it is and one of my pet peeves. I feel residents should get first chance at the tags before nonresidents. As it is the nonresidents get 35% of the tags. It's sad I can't hunt my own unit.

The couple of years I lived in Arizona, (Payson), I would put in for the early white tail hunt in units 29 and 30A. Was only there for two seasons, and managed a buck both years, though the deer were few and far between. And LOTS of quail to hunt.
That was 15 years ago, so things may have changed, but back then, at least those hunts were almost a sure thing to at least draw a tag and hunt. Oh, and loads of coyotes, also.

The time is now! 3 whites and a knight in the back seat trucks loaded up and headed to deer camp! Should arrive about noon today and season opens saturday morning!

Back