Knight MK 85 .45 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hoping that someone here can help me out. My grandpa has an old knight inline MK 85 in .45 caliber.

I tried looking up info on it and came up empty until I contacted the company directly. They informed me that what my grandpa has is a rare gun and retailed for $1200.00 when they first came out in the 80's but couldn't offer a current value other than saying "definitely do more research before selling"

Anyone ever seen one of these for sale before and if so what the asking price was?

is it blued, stainless never seen one in 45 cal got any pic??? why do you wont to sell it?? has it been shot?? WORM

It has never even been loaded, just sitting in his safe. Stainless barrel with colored wood stock. I will try to post pics tomorrow.

Those are very very rare but you may have a hard time getting anywhere close to that MSRP. I saw a used one on Gun Broker maybe a year ago for $450 and dont think it ever sold. The same one showed up several times. Another one in blued/composite with box in great shape went for about $200.

Most people are not looking for a 45 and especially a 45 open breach inline.

The MK85 in 45cal was a 1-24 twist. As far as i can find out, they were not a GM barrel so they were pretty early models. At one time Wiseman made a 45cal 1-24 twist barrel. Very few companies made a 1-24 in that caliber. Lothar Walther also made a 1-24 and i believe that is who made those barrels for Knight.

I think we have one person on this forum that owns one and we got a ton of Knight owners and enthusiasts. My advice is to keep it and shoot it. MKs are one of the best built MLs you will ever find and the triggers are top shelf.

Thank you very much for all that information!

I read that the .45 with 1:24 twist were supposed to be very accurate and flatter shooting than the .50 cal. I'm sure my grandpa will be a little disappointed he won't get the kind of money he was thinking of but then again there are so many different options available today that are fairly inexpensive.

You can certainly shoot sabots with 200gr bullets and Triple7 with it but if it was me......I would shoot some conicals in that rifle first. That puppy would be a hoot with Ed's 350gr HP conical and mild to medium charges.

That one was manufactured after mine. Mine is SS2949. I would keep it. They are a really nice ML.

I am no MK-85 expert but myself can't see that the MSRP on that rifle was ever $1200. I never saw an MK ever go that high even when they were still produced. I can see it fetching more than the normal .50 and .54cals since they did not make so many but that quote seems high. It is a Very nice rifle and I say the same as the rest so far, Keep it and if it were Me I would shoot it and enjoy it. It should be a great shooter just like all MKs are.

Very nice rifle! Wish it were mine. I have quite a few mk 85s but, like everyone else said the 45s are rare as hens teeth. I'm not sure what I would put on it for a price but I would think it would be worth $400 to $500 to the right person. Maybe someone would pay more but you might look for a while to find that person. Good Luck!

Nice rifle, but that rifle didn't retail for anywhere near half of what you've been told. The top of the line MK-85 Grand American only sold for $600.00 at that time.

My new MK-85 Hunter (blued and walnut) was only $390, and IIRC, the Stalkers were around $500ish back then.

Thank you all! Honestly I was taken off guard when I got the email from Knight and think that it was probably a miscommunication about the original cost.

I would love to shoot it, will have to see what my grandpa decides to do with it now that we have more info (thanks to you guys).

I bought one of my MK's new back in the early 90's... I almost bought a .45 (just to be different) but decided on the .50.
They were the same price, $449... stainless. Nice rifle regardless of caliber. I'd keep it, they are definitely a rare bird. MK's are excellent rifles for sure :yeah:

PD

Let me know if you decide to sell it. I need a 45 to complete the set.

Thanks,

Bill V

I've got the same rifle. It's not rare or anything of the sort. And it never had a $1200 MSRP. I've seen two different ones for sale in the last year locally.

admiral said:
I've got the same rifle. It's not rare or anything of the sort. And it never had a $1200 MSRP. I've seen two different ones for sale in the last year locally.

.......what the heck is "rarer then hen's teeth " ? Most posts I see referring to the MK85 in .45 cal state it's a rare bird !

.......what the heck is "rarer then hen's teeth " ? Most posts I see referring to the MK85 in .45 cal state it's a rare bird ![/quote]

So Mike embarks on his quest for hens teeth. Maybe a google search will find some :mrgreen:
Seriously, you must be young, it's and old saying. I love using those I heard my elders say as normal conversation in my youth. My kids and other millenials get a puzzled look, and think I'm senile. Maybe so! :yeah:

I use alot of saying my grandad used when I was little same as you no one even my own age knows what the heck I'm talking about lol!

....I am "older then dirt" - I believe thats an old reference as well :D

I was trying to be nice in disagreeing with that feller that said the gun was far from rare .
I meant literally : what is rarer then hens teeth .............Tooth Fairies ? Dragons ?? Honest Politicians ???

I really enjoy this forum and have to keep an open mind so I can learn alot from you young whipper-snappers .

My Grampa used to curl his fist and say " your crusin' for a brusin' ! "

Now I get your meaning. My Grandpa some times when asked an opinion, (in a down east accent) "Hard sayin' not knowin'."
Took awhile to wrap my young mind around that one.
Just to stay on topic, a stainless MK85 in.45 cal would be my next rifle if I find one.

Latest posts

Back