Another 32cal inline Project (Little pic heavy)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnT

Reaction score
I may have lost my mind a little. I saw this Kit and just could not pass it by. :roll: The main reason I was attracted to it is the fact that this one is still an NIB old stock Kit. I needed to find another "Winter Project" so this fit the bill. I will do a few things here and there but don't really plan to finish it out till this winter after hunting seasons are done. I still need to get some more trigger time with my main .32 for squirrels in Ohio in a couple weeks and then get a good load worked up in the New to me Ultra Lite for this years Deer season. So this will have to wait.

Any way I know there has been some interest in small calibers so just thought some might like to see this little featherweight.

The Rifle Kit is a .32 caliber "Super Shot" from Marathon Products that used to be in Connecticut and was made in Spain. Best I can tell these were made from 1985 to 1987 and the date stamp on the barrel says this was made in '86. This must have sat in a closet for 30 years, but has no rust on it that I can tell. It seems this was built using their Single shot.22 LR, and has the same grooves for the .22LR scope rings. It is a Bolt/Plunger style with a very small plunger. These are "Very Basic/simply" built rifles. The trigger is a very simple trigger and the spring is pretty heavy. The back of the Trigger in conjunction with the cap on the back of the bolt act as a trigger blocked safety. Rotate the cap one way and the trigger should not be able to allow it to fire yet rotated a little and a groove cut on the cap will give the back of the trigger a place to go to allow it to fire. The Barrel is 24" from the breech plug face(Powder side) to the muzzle and measures .629 at the muzzle and it looks like it has a 1 in 48 twist. The Breech plug uses a #11 nipple. I don't think the Breech plug was meant to be removed for cleaning. I really doubt these were very expensive

The kit strangely never included a ramrod or a ramrod channel in the stock that looks like Maple. It also does not come with a Butt Plate or recoil pad, instead the butt is slightly curved and sanded smooth. I plan to add a Butt Plate of some sort but don't really know what I will use yet, maybe a thin rubber pad or a brass plate. :think: I also would like to add a ramrod to it, If I can come up with a way to add a thimble without drilling and tapping the barrel, at least I don't really want to do that at the moment.

So here is the Kit and some other Pics I took.

Bolt and Plunger

Plunger sticking out to you can see it next to a Pencil.

A couple pics of the cap on the plunger. Not sure if the "F" for Fire is visible.

The Other parts for the Bolt, action and sights.

The Action with Trigger.

Stock.

Breech plug in the barrel.

Muzzle end and it is dove tailed for the front site.

This is a very cool little spec. That bag has all the loose parts and the Whole rifle is on the scale, 4lb 9oz. :D
Won't that be nice to carry after Tree Rats! :lol:

That is cool Shawn! Where the heck did you find that? :huh?:
Looking forward to seeing her come together. I know how tedious you are with stuff like that, I'm sure it will turn out great!

Love that weight! :yeah: :D

WV Hunter said:
That is cool Shawn! Where the heck did you find that? :huh?:
Looking forward to seeing her come together. I know how tedious you are with stuff like that, I'm sure it will turn out great!

Love that weight! :yeah: :D
Hey Mike,

Just was cruising around on Gunbroker and saw one that had been assembled and looked well used and then saw this Kit just below it. Same guy had them both and the other rifle sold too. I kept going back and watching this Kit though. :roll: Then decided I just had to have it. :roll: :lol: It is very surprising how light it is. I was so curious about the weight that I bought the scale today just to see what it was. :lol: If it shoots ok it should be great to carry. It should be a Fun build anyway. :D

Cattledog said:
That is just plain cool! Thanks for sharing.
I thought so too. Doubt I will ever see one in a Kit like this again either. Just something a tad different. :D

Kinda weird they made the sight tennons before the barrel was fixed. Looks like they leave a few things kinda open ended. But starting with raw pieces, anything can be done. (LOL I picture some mad scientist in a dark basement lab on a stormy night, with lightning flashes and a Jacob's ladder flickering yelling "give my creation life") :D

Squeeze said:
Kinda weird they made the sight tennons before the barrel was fixed. Looks like they leave a few things kinda open ended. But starting with raw pieces, anything can be done. (LOL I picture some mad scientist in a dark basement lab on a stormy night, with lightning flashes and a Jacob's ladder flickering yelling "give my creation life") :D
:lol: Yea, not sure if I can actually hold off putting it together till winter.
The barrel and action are secured by 2 screws, one is on the right side of the action and the other is the post on the bottom that also receives the stock screw. The barrel has countersunk places for the screws to lock it in. Rear site has 2 screws to fasten it to the barrel with a step blade for adjustment.

Here is a pic of the Barrel and action from right side so you can see how they secure the barrel. Bottom hole gets a threaded post that is sort of pointed to key into the barrels bottom divot and also receive the stock screw. The right side hole gets what is more or less a setscrew that fits flush to the action. The right holes and front site dovetail so far appear to line up with the center of the top of the action when I lay a metal yard stick on it.

Neat. Saw one of the kits a few years ago but couldn't find any information about it before the auction ended so I let it pass. Immediately regretted not buying it.

The action for that little Marathon is a bulls-eye of the old Remington 514 22 single shot! A fine little action. Very basic, but accurate and durable.
If you take the barrel/action out of the stock, don't overtighten the takedown screw when putting it back. In the 514's, it altered point of impact. Good luck!

Confederate rifleman said:
The action for that little Marathon is a bulls-eye of the old Remington 514 22 single shot! A fine little action. Very basic, but accurate and durable.
If you take the barrel/action out of the stock, don't overtighten the takedown screw when putting it back. In the 514's, it altered point of impact. Good luck!
Thanks for the tip. I can see how that could happen. I was thinking that at final assembly I may add blue Loctite to the 2 screws. I have also been considering cleaning the action and end of the barrel then "painting" them with Devcon then putting it together as well as Loctite on the screws to remove any slop that may be there. I have not personally seen one of the Remington 514's that I recall, did they have one or 2 screws to secure the barrel.

Thanks,

I just looked up a schematic of the Rem 514 on the Numrich site and you are spot on. It does look like that little 514. I would bet some parts are interchangeable too if needed. Very cool.

Thanks, :yeah:

Anytime. I don't know if loctiting the barrel assembly to the receiver would be a good idea. You know how cap blast finds it way into every nook and cranny. That's where the gremlins breed.
The way I fixed my 514 to eliminate the point of impact shift was to glass bed the receiver and first 2 inches of barrel. Worked like a charm.
If you're going to use the rifle for targets only, you could deepen the safety notch to act as trigger stop. You can't do it on the safety in the off position as the trigger is the bolt stop and you wouldn't be able to get the assembled bolt into or out of the rifle. NOT recommended on a hunting rifle unless you carry her bolt open. In a light rifle the improvement in accuracy from elimination the tremor from the sear release is significant.

Anytime. I don't know if loctiting the barrel assembly to the receiver would be a good idea. You know how cap blast finds it way into every nook and cranny. That's where the gremlins breed.
The way I fixed my 514 to eliminate the point of impact shift was to glass bed the receiver and first 2 inches of barrel. Worked like a charm.
If you're going to use the rifle for targets only, you could deepen the safety notch to act as trigger stop. You can't do it on the safety in the off position as the trigger is the bolt stop and you wouldn't be able to get the assembled bolt into or out of the rifle. NOT recommended on a hunting rifle unless you carry her bolt open. In a light rifle the improvement in accuracy from elimination the tremor from the sear release is significant.

I see your point about the Loctite. I had not decided on to bed it or not yet, but that will probably be the best way to get things to return to the same position each time you take it apart. I will shoot some targets but it will also be used for squirrel hunting to.

The part you mention in bold above sort of puzzles me some. Deepening the Notch does not seem like it would act as a "Trigger" Block. The notch already gives the back tab on the trigger a place to go to allow it to fire, so deepening it would not stop the trigger. Rotating the "Safety knob" moves that notch away from the trigger and then the tab on the trigger will contact it and not allow it to fire. I did assembly it just to look at how it works and it seems to function ok. I saw a picture of the 514 safety knob on the Numrich site and it shows it as a little different but possibly would still interchange.

If you put the safety in the on position, it blocks the trigger to prevent firing. If you trim that hump ( not notch. Sorry) or the tail end of the trigger until it allows the sear to break, the safety will then act as a trigger stop.

If you put the safety in the on position, it blocks the trigger to prevent firing. If you trim that hump ( not notch. Sorry) or the tail end of the trigger until it allows the sear to break, the safety will then act as a trigger stop.
:d'oh!: I get what you mean now. :d'oh!:

Yea I can see that. This one does not have just a hump like the one I see on Numrich site for the 514. It is completely round except for the slot. I suppose you could rotate the whole Knob 180* and then cut/file a new slot to do what you are talking about. :think: The one thing I will be experimenting with is that Trigger spring. Man that dude is a heavy one. Next time I put it back together I will try to remember to pull out my trigger gage and see what it pulls. I plan to polish it up to make it smooth as I can. It is a little sloppy side to side too so may have to do some shimming

Latest posts

Back