what's up with......?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaska viking

Reaction score
As a recent muzzy shooter, (less than 2 years, but many hundreds of rounds), due to my location, I have VERY limited exposure to muzzleloaders. I have a simple T/C Impact that I really enjoy, and find it extraordinarily accurate, and a joy to shoot.
All that said, what is up with the weird flange located on the trigger guard of many muzzleloaders? It appears to be in the way, and a hinderance. Therefore, I assume it has some needed function?

If you are talking about this...The trigger assembly opens up, drops out of the way for the primer to be inserted or the breech plug to be exposed to be removed. The extension is used to push down to open it up.

Attachments

• prod_nav_encore_pro_hunter_fx.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 347
I see. A rather odd approach, it seems. :think:

The Impact has a simple break-action that exposes the primer and BP, a very un-complicated endeavor, to be sure.

TC has used that tab on the trigger guard to open the contender handgun for many years.

alaska viking said:

The Impact has a simple break-action that exposes the primer and BP, a very un-complicated endeavor, to be sure.

Actually the Endeavor has that tab also...
:poke: :D

Many-many more lawsuits would exist today, had the manufacturers not introduced a system where our fingers are not required to go inside the trigger guard to open the break or fall actions.

alaska viking said:

The guns we're talking about are break open action too.

I need to handle one. I assumed there was a logical reason for it's wide-spread use. Does it interfere with certain shooting/rest positions? Snag on clothing, that sort of thing?
As said, I've never gotten my hands on one that has that design.

(Good one, 03mossy! :D

TC Endeavor, TC Triumph, CVA Optima, CVA Accura; all break-open, all with some type of flange on the trigger guard to open the action. Some other break-opens have a button near the trigger guard (CVA Wolf, most Traditions) to do the same thing. The Impact is one of the few that has the release near the breach plug, as does the TC Strike (ex-Redemption). Don't know if one is inherently better than the other, just different.

alaska viking said:

The Impact is the oddball, while not bad, it doesn't lock up as solid as my others.

BuckDoeHunter said:
alaska viking said:

The Impact is the oddball, while not bad, it doesn't lock up as solid as my others.

Glad you said that. I only had one Impact, and it was actually owned by grouse. It was brand new and the barrel was very loose when locked up. Grouse sent it back. Not sure this is a known problem, or just sloppy QC?

Back