New prototype Lehigh bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
I'm leaving for Colorado rifle season for Elk very soon October 20th. I've been very fortunate to shoot a bull three out of four years. I'm more excited to shoot a bull this year over any other year. And the main reason why is I got a new bullet to try. I started testing and shooting this bullet today. It's a .452 265grn copper controlled fracturing bullet. Testing today was with the Knight Ultralite and the CVA Accura Mr with harvester sabots, CCI Primers, and BH209 powder.

Both guns shot the bullet pretty accurate at 100 yards. Both guns shot the bullet pretty good at 200 yards also. In most cases I just don't like to shoot anything over 100 yards anyway but you just never know.

When the bloodlines were in the making I shot sandwich bags full of water stapled to the target to see the petals shear on paper. I did that at 50 and 100 yards. But with this new bullet I decided to strengthen my testing and decided to shoot the bags at 200 yards with both guns. The results were like nothing I've ever seen before. The targets were actually destroyed. I've never ever seen this with the 200grn, 230grn, 250grn, 275grn, or the 300grn Bloodline. I could not believe what I was seeing. I sent a few of these to Ron to test as well.

I was so amazed with the results I decided to go groundhog hunting with the MR. Well the bullet provided me with very good information at 135 yards on this ground hog.

With my testing so far I really think this bullet is gonna be over kill for Elk. But I'm gonna use it all season on Elk and Deer. If it's as good as I think it is, I'll try and talk Dave into making a lighter bullet for Elk next year. But that's the fun of trying and testing new bullets.

It sure did that groundhog ugly! Looks like it will work great.

Just curious but why would you want to go lighter on elk?

ShawnT said:
It sure did that groundhog ugly! Looks like it will work great.

Just curious but why would you want to go lighter on elk?

I've shot all my Elk with 250grn Bloodlines with no tracking at all. All died within 30 yards or so of shot. I prefer lighter faster bullets. If this bullet proves to be as good as I think it is, it will be over kill for sure. But way to early to determine that but I got a good feeling I'm right.

I have not used the Bloodline/Lehigh bullets yet. I guess it is just "old habit" to use regular expanding bullets. I did buy a box of 275gn Bloodlines to try in my Ultra Lite though and I did shoot a couple but don't remember how they did, it was several months ago. :roll: From the pics I have seen there is no real argument that they work.

Thanks,

Are those whistle pigs reusable? those water jugs are pretty shot after one test.. :think: How to get them to line up on Rons sawhorse :D

you guys are horrible... one day Ill be able to read these new bullet reviews and not think, I need those too now. Ill just be able to sit back all relaxed thinking, I'm FINE with what I have... :?

Never thought I'd think of a 265 grain bullet being overkill for elk I shoot 300 grainers in my cf and 495-535 grains in the front stuffers for elk. Shot my buck this year with a 472 grain 451 bullet.

Grouse said:
sqezer said:
Can't wait to see the results Tom, I leave Oct.31st. for Co. for an Elk also.

Good Luck, hope your using a ML??

I'm still kicking it around, I would love to get an Elk with my old 30-06 I gave to my grandson, but then I want to get one with a Leigh Bullet also.

sqezer said:
Grouse said:
sqezer said:
Can't wait to see the results Tom, I leave Oct.31st. for Co. for an Elk also.

Good Luck, hope your using a ML??

I'm still kicking it around, I would love to get an Elk with my old 30-06 I gave to my grandson, but then I want to get one with a Leigh Bullet also.

You gotta use a 50cal ML, the 250grn Bloodline will do the job pretty easy.

I would like to see what this would do out of smokeless rig going 2500 fps. I have wanted to shoot the other ones out of my smokeless gun but the brass was always a problem for that application it seemed. These coppers might be the ticket.

You know if there is any plans to make this for a saboted .45 ?

GM54-120 said:
Grouse said:
chaded said:
You know if there is any plans to make this for a saboted .45 ?

Absolutely!!

A little heavier than 200gr please but with a large HP that might be asking too much.

A 200grn for the slower twist rifles and me :wink: a 230 or maybe even a 240grn for the faster twist rifles looking for high BC.

Latest posts

Back