CCI 209 or 209M

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 2 guns I shoot 777 pellets in are the only ones w/o vents and IME you can shoot whatever primer and whatever sized flash hole you want with 777 in any shape or form. It also doesn't seem to erode flash holes very quickly.

Well to let everyone know I went to the range with my new CCI 209M primers and shot. There was absolutely no difference in the point of impact from the regular CCI 209 and the CCI 209M while using Blackhorn 209.

ronlaughlin said:
Neither humidity, nor a fouled bore, have anything to do with the ignition of Blackhorn. Using magnum primers accelerates the wear of your breech plug. :D

Baloney! Damp powder pushed down the bore during various forms of swabbing can obstruct.

Again, 95+% of hunters wont wear out a breechplug in 20 years. For instance; My hunting partner is still using his 20-pk of XTPs for about seven years now. My Omega is 13-14 years old and has less than 250 shots fired. My Knight Vision is two years old and may have 30-40 shots fired. Now that's it sighted-in, I may shoot it 5-10 times per year.

Yep, you're still in the 5% Club I see. Most every regular member here is. But some of you-guys shooting styles and methods don't necessarily fit-in with 95% of ML users, like teaching them how to fire 15 times with Blackhorn without swabbing.

If my hunting partner did that, his gun would be a rust bucket, for it takes him at least five years to fire 15 shots.

Thinking back, i sure don't remember recommending, that one needn't clean their rifle for 5 year. Me, i always clean a fired rifle, the same day i return home, no matter how many shots were fired.

ronlaughlin said:
Neither humidity, nor a fouled bore, have anything to do with the ignition of Blackhorn. Using magnum primers accelerates the wear of your breech plug. :D

ronlaughlin said:
Thinking back, i sure don't remember recommending, that one needn't clean their rifle for 5 year. Me, i always clean a fired rifle, the same day i return home, no matter how many shots were fired.

ronlaughlin said:

Well then, my idea to keep the bore cleaner - so my hangfires stop occurring after morning hunts and again after the evening hunt, is a good idea...... just like I outlined in the beginning here.

All along I suspected the damp, spent powder was being pushed to the breechplug face after dry swabbings. Dry swabbing work sometimes. Just not in my circumstances involving the Great Lakes air wetness. Even if I didn't swab and instead pushed a tight sabot down the bore, some wet, spent powder would still travel to the plug face.

We all encounter different circumstances. What works for some parts of the country on any given day, doesn't work for others in their different climates.

Until I get a better handle on Blackhorn powder, I'm using real black this season. It goes boom easier and using a weaker primer to-boot. I don't shoot magnum powder loads anyways and BH209 seems to thrive / shoot most accurately, on big powder loads.

Another nice thing about real black is it's fired powder stays soft for the most part and easier to extract. Just requires several more patches to clean, but costs significantly less than BH209.

Even if I didn't swab and instead pushed a tight sabot down the bore, some wet, spent powder would still travel to the plug face.

Pouring fresh BH209 powder in FIRST before the sabot should eliminate that issue. :D

I normally dont use mag primers but in the case of the OP...

I have shot many different loads in my Thompson Center Bone Collecter.

Isn't that the long T/C QRBP. A mag primer or modification to the plug might be a good idea in his case. All of my breach plugs are much shorter and head spaced correctly for minimal blowby. Ive hunted plenty of humid days without a single issue using BH209/Win209. This includes rain and sleet or rain the night prior to the hunt.

The Bone Collector plug looks like an interesting candidate for a "Bestill" bushing mod. I wonder how well it would work vs a vent liner mod.

GoexBlackhorn said:
ronlaughlin said:

ronlaughlin said:

..................All along I suspected the damp, spent powder was being pushed to the breechplug face after dry swabbings. Dry swabbing work sometimes. Just not in my circumstances involving the Great Lakes air wetness. Even if I didn't swab and instead pushed a tight sabot down the bore, some wet, spent powder would still travel to the plug face.....................

I have no clue what you may be doing, but first, I'd like to comment on the "Great Lakes air wetness". I've lived between the lakes all my life. I've lived and hunted within eight (8) miles from Lake Huron for 12 years. Short of just two exceptions, I hunt exclusively with a muzzleloader within 8 miles of "Great Lakes air wetness". Prior to my current location, I've hunted the "Great Lakes air wetness" with muzzleloaders since 1973. I've also used BH209 since it became available in all my Encore platform rifles. Yes during the regular firearm season, it may be raining like heck and 70°, yet it can also be dry as a fark and 20°. Our dedicated muzzleloader season is "normally" cooler in December. Just note, our "Great Lakes air wetness" is a minor issue, when you compare it to hunters in the south or along the coast.

What issues you may be having, I've had none of those you've described. I've never had a failure to fire, hang fire, or any other ignition problem when using BH209 and, that's also leaving the rifle loaded for days, if not a week. This also includes hunting in pouring rain one day and 6" of snow the next day. It also includes harvesting one animal, reloading and harvesting a second or, harvesting one, reloading and the rifle remaining loaded for the rest of the season. Not trying to say you're doing it wrong, but something isn't right if you're having ignition problems using a 209 in-line rifle.

Latest posts

Back