Remington 700ml

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowhunter523

Reaction score
Just picked up this Remington 700ml at a really good deal. Can anyone tell me a bit about them. I had heard some really good things about them except from the traditional muzzleloader guys. Also was told something about these being able to go smokeless.
4eb666f1f43aa6213f97639f46b8aea0.jpg

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

What do they tend to value. I've seen people selling them anywhere from 200 up to almost a grand

Re: Remington 700ml

bowhunter523 said:
Just picked up this Remington 700ml at a really good deal. Can anyone tell me a bit about them. I had heard some really good things about them except from the traditional muzzleloader guys. Also was told something about these being able to go smokeless.
4eb666f1f43aa6213f97639f46b8aea0.jpg

I have had a couple 700ML's, and truly they were very good muzzleloaders in their day. Had Remington stayed with the program and progressed in their development I think they would have made a great ML today.

The barrels that were used were made of regular rifle barrel steel, the receivers were cut down versions of the Rem 700 Short Action again using the same metals as a regular 700.

Today you have options that will allow you to make your old gen Remington 700 ML into a modern ML shooting any BP or substitute you choose to shoot. The bolt nose option available from 'derhunter' will turn your plunger action Remington into a regular bolt action with the ability to shoot BH-209 powder (a smokeless based powder qualifying as a BP sub in most states)

Yes, they are a popular rifle to acquire for conversion to a true smokeless shooting rifle - but really what is the need? In most states in the west you would not be able to hunt elk because of the 50 cal, minimum,

The Rem 700 ML - just works...

Would the badgerridge 209 conversion work with Blackburn 209. I've heard great things about the stuff and can't use it in my old knight but would like to give it a shot one day

Get Hunter's "Smoker Kit" conversion. You can upgrade it later if you wish by just getting the plug and new barrel.

BTW i think Luke can get a 50cal aftermarket barrel for them too. I believe its a McGowan or Pacnor. Most guys go the 45cal route though so that is what he usually keeps in stock.

bowhunter523 said:
Would the badgerridge 209 conversion work with Blackburn 209. I've heard great things about the stuff and can't use it in my old knight but would like to give it a shot one day

Hunter makes that kit for Badger IIRC. You can also get it from Luke at smokelessmz.com I think Hunter (derfhunter on here) still sells them direct and offers installation.

It's already a 50cal so don't really need a new barrel for it.

bowhunter523 said:
It's already a 50cal so don't really need a new barrel for it.

He means if you want to shoot "Smokeless" Powder you would need a new Barrel rated for Smokeless plus a plug too. You should not shoot smokeless in your original barrel. Your current barrel will work just fine with All sub powders including Blackhorn 209.

bowhunter523 said:

That appears to be Hunters Conversion - so maybe they are selling it for him...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=bad ... &FORM=IGRE

You can definitely shoot BH with this conversion

Is blackhorn 209 considered smokeless or does it fall more towards triple seven

bowhunter523 said:
Is blackhorn 209 considered smokeless or does it fall more towards triple seven

It is engineered to be a BP substitute General Dynamics in Canada produces it and Western Powders in the US distributes it.

The powder meters as do other BP's and subs in a volume measure and it has potassium and sodium in it so it will cause corrosion but at a much slower rate than real BP or the Pyro's.

It is a bit hotter than T7 especially with bullets above 250 grains. With 120 grains of T7 and 120 grains of BH and a 300 grain bullet you will get around 150 fps faster with BH. But in a lot of peoples minds it is much easier to shoot because of the absence of the "crud ring" allowing shot after shot.

So in general it's just a bit hotter and a bit cleaner then but other then that really not much different?

bowhunter523 said:
So in general it's just a bit hotter and a bit cleaner then but other then that really not much different?

Just remember I am not a big BH shooter - basically because of price per shot. I can still get T7 for $20 - $25 a pound so that is what I use versus $35-$40 for 10 ounces...

But BH is a really good powder!

I really thought since BH was becoming so popular that Hodgdon would have to reduce the price of T7 but it continues to rise in price so someone other myself is buying it also - a lot of someones.

Bh has a longer pressure curve, but it actually creates less peak pressure, with the longer curve the heavier the projectile the more efficient the powder becomes.

If you are just breaking into the world of ML's - BH is much easier to master.

T7 and real Swiss BP are the only ones that create the velocity or near the velocity of BH. T7 is less corrosive of all of the BP subs excluding BH.

Ah ok. I guess you could say I'm pretty new to it. When I first started out all I used was pellets and they worked fine out to about 87 yards in my knight and it was fine for me at that time since that was a long shot for hunting where I was then I started learning about how it's better to use loose powder and adjust your load to find what works best. Kind of why I'm so full of questions

bowhunter523 said:
Ah ok. I guess you could say I'm pretty new to it. When I first started out all I used was pellets and they worked fine out to about 87 yards in my knight and it was fine for me at that time since that was a long shot for hunting where I was then I started learning about how it's better to use loose powder and adjust your load to find what works best. Kind of why I'm so full of questions

I forgot to ask which Knight do you have?

That it has been. Always fired and never let me down. But recently got the 700ml and have been thinking of selling it

bowhunter523 said:
That it has been. Always fired and never let me down. But recently got the 700ml and have been thinking of selling it

By far the 700 is going to be a more versatile rifle than the LK. Not as light to pack but can certainly increase your range.

Latest posts

Back