Keeping powder fresh

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowhunter523

Reaction score
Is there anything special I can do to help keep my black powder fresh and not get ruined from humidity. I only have a gun cabinet and not a safe but am sure I can find some of the moisture packets and put one in. Just wasnt sure if anyone has any other ways they do things.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

I keep my jugs in a plastic storage box that has a rubber gasket and provides a compression seal. I toss in a couple of silica packs to absorb what little moisture might be in the container. Air tight seal keeps moisture out.

I use T7 mag pellets in my UF Black Widow, and I keep a lot on hand. When I buy fresh containers I run them through my Food Saver and vacuum seal them. After a range session what ever is left is resealed, or if it is only a few pellets I'll put them in tubes. This would work for long term storage for any type of powder.

I use chemical sample jars.When I open a fresh container I break it down into smaller size containers.1 oz bottle for my pocket while hunting and then the rest of it goes into 2 & 4 ounce bottles.That way you only handle what you need.

fishhawk2700 said:
I use T7 mag pellets in my UF Black Widow, and I keep a lot on hand. When I buy fresh containers I run them through my Food Saver and vacuum seal them. After a range session what ever is left is resealed, or if it is only a few pellets I'll put them in tubes. This would work for long term storage for any type of powder.

Same here with my UF BP Xpress. I use Lane's tubes in my range box (100). Speaking of Lane's tubes, they'll keep pellets dry in the pouring rain. Buying T7 by the case, I leave them in the case on one of the benches which are in the basement. However, the basement is entirely humidity controlled 24/7/365. Because I keep the humidity very low, I have no issues with moisture (not yet). Neither with pellets, BP, or any other propellants.

fishhawk 2700......... I should try to figure out the cash difference between the electricity used for humidity control VS the vacuum seal method. However I'm afraid to notify the CFO of the price of either :wink:

Hey Encore,those pellets come on the same truck as the powerbelts ? :lol:

you know I need to rib you a little here and there my friend. :partyman:

I had some real tasty crock-potted boneless ribs last night, coated in Uncle Rays. Just the aroma in the kitchen drove my dog nuts.

Re: RE: Re: Keeping powder fresh

Tannhauser said:
I keep my jugs in a plastic storage box that has a rubber gasket and provides a compression seal. I toss in a couple of silica packs to absorb what little moisture might be in the container. Air tight seal keeps moisture out.
Where can you get those silica packets

Re: RE: Re: Keeping powder fresh

bowhunter523 said:
Tannhauser said:
Where can you get those silica packets

Search for "Silica Gel Desiccants Packets" on Amazon. There are a ton of options. Here's one I'd order if I needed packets: https://www.amazon.com/Gram-Silica-..._rd_wg=TiZgp&refRID=4ZCH5J51K002EWXZEECK&th=1

Even the smallest quantity size provides a ton of packets. Not only do I have a few in with my ML supplies, I toss a few into every ammo can of ammunition.

I use/have a lot of Black (more pounds than I care to admit) and have about 10 different kinds used/tried over nearly 30 years. Still have some old Dupont BP and Dupont Bulk powder made before then. I've never had an issue (clumping) in my basement of 2 different homes, I do have a dehumidifier in the same room as the powder.
I'd put a dehumidifier near your cabinet if you could.

Latest posts

Back