Future Knight owner, few questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kraig

Reaction score
Hey guys, new guy here. Plan on taking Knight up on their 20% off offer, most likely buying a shadow grey thumbhole Mountaineer, unless someone can talk me into a different one?

I have a few questions though.

You can probably tell im not an expert on muzzleloading, which is half the reason I joined this forum, I really want to get into muzzleloading. Anyway, I'd like to use BH209 since I've heard almost all good things about it. (Currently using T7 pellets on CVA Optima that I actually just sold). I've never used BH209. So learning to measure it will be my next lesson. Can I use BH209 on the Mountaineer right out of the box? And should i opt for the Full Plastic Jacket option or just bare 209?

I was using Barnes T-EZ 250 grain with my just sold Optima, but I have almost a full package left. Are these good to shoot with the Knight?

One more question.. I read a lot of guys mention sabot-"less", what exactly are these and what are the advantages?

Thanks guys!!

Simple accurate load.
Blackhorn powder 100 gr by volume measure consistently wether u tap volume measure full or simply fill to top. Do it the same.
Barnes250 or 290 tez
Winchester209 primer regular primer not triple seven primers.

Bare primer ignition system.

Get a quality scope and mounts.

Hoppes 9 cleaner and 2 1/2" round patches.

5/32 drill bit for cleaner flame channel and torch tip cleaner for guaging flash hole and cleaning flash hole.

I suggest one damp patch and 2-3 dry patches between shots.

Let cool between shots at range.

You want a very snug sabot fit so if blue sabot not tight enuf try harvester black crush rib or red crush rib.

Sabotless is a whole different deal and typically needs a fast twist 1-20 twist or 1-18 twist 45 and a bit of a learning curve.
Knight500 is a Sabotless candidate but not really a hunting rifle

The Knight Ultralite is the best by far Knight ever made. I personally don't like the Mountaineer and don't think it's set up good for hunting.

Grouse said:
The Knight Ultralite is the best by far Knight ever made. I personally don't like the Mountaineer and don't think it's set up good for hunting.

I debated the Ultra-Lite, but the Mountaineer is a tiny bit cheaper and i think the Mountaineer is the better looking gun. Not saying looks should matter THAT much, just i love a nice looking gun.

Not in stone though, so ill check it out again.

Kraig said:
Grouse said:

I debated the Ultra-Lite, but the Mountaineer is a tiny bit cheaper and i think the Mountaineer is the better looking gun. Not saying looks should matter THAT much, just i love a nice looking gun.

Not in stone though, so ill check it out again.

I really think you will like the feel and balance a lot more with the Ultralite. But either one will last forever if taken care of.

Kraig said:
Hey guys, new guy here. Plan on taking Knight up on their 20% off offer, most likely buying a shadow grey thumbhole Mountaineer, unless someone can talk me into a different one?

I would also suggest that you check Sportsman's WHSE web site for their price also. They seem to have the best buy across the US.

I have a few questions though.

You can probably tell im not an expert on muzzleloading, which is half the reason I joined this forum, I really want to get into muzzleloading. Anyway, I'd like to use BH209 since I've heard almost all good things about it. (Currently using T7 pellets on CVA Optima that I actually just sold). I've never used BH209. So learning to measure it will be my next lesson. Can I use BH209 on the Mountaineer right out of the box? And should i opt for the Full Plastic Jacket option or just bare 209?

Yes it is ready to BH out of the box. I would highly suggest that you get the bare primer version for the ignition system. Then when you get it is real possible that you might have to do a small modification to get the rifle to be clean in the breech. The bare primer breech plug was built to carry a W209 primer and it works very well with BH as long as you do your breech plug maintenance. Several people will also say to use a Magnum primer but with the Lehigh/Knight BP it is not necessary. Your plug will also last somewhat longer with the cooler primers.

I should also suggest to a forum member here (bestill) builds an excellent replacement breech plug for the Knight series of bolt action rifles. If you decide to go with a Mountaineer series rifle you might make contact with him and have him explain his plug options.

I was using Barnes T-EZ 250 grain with my just sold Optima, but I have almost a full package left. Are these good to shoot with the Knight?

I say this with a lot of confidence, choice of bullet is a good one and in the case of the Knight Mountaineer series will shoot just about anything very.

One more question.. I read a lot of guys mention sabot-"less", what exactly are these and what are the advantages?

Thanks guys!!

Most of the time but not always they are referring to shoot a bullet from a fast twist 45 caliber with a full bore bullet that fits the bore - usually in Knights case a .4515 to .452 bullet. It can be done with a 50 cal also.

I have experimented a lot with sabotless loads - basically cause I wanted to know, but in my case hunting in the state of Idaho I seldom if ever would have a shot or take a shot greater than 200+ yards. I would say that a lot of people shooting long range targets are shooting full bore bullets.

Hope some of this information has some value for you.

Living in Idaho in the Mountain portion of the state - I really do prefer the Ultra-Lite series rifle with the shorter barrel and the lighter weight. Most long range shooters are probably going to go with the longer barreled Mountaineer. Of the available Knight rifles the Mountaineer seems to be the more selected rifle in the long range shooting events.

@sabotloader - I just checked out SportsmansWarehouse, you were right the prices are awesome! Unfortunately, so awesome that theyre all sold out. Gonna check and see when theyre gonna get some more in. Until November 25, Knight has that 20% off deal going on too.

@Grouse - After you mentioned the Ultra-Lite, I checked it out and really warmed up to it. I mentioned the Mountaineer being the good looking gun, but the UL isnt far behind. Really like that olive green stock.

As far as measuring BH209, can I use a regular black powder measurer and thatll give me the grains per volume? Or am I wrong?

Kraig said:
@sabotloader - I just checked out SportsmansWarehouse, you were right the prices are awesome! Unfortunately, so awesome that theyre all sold out. Gonna check and see when theyre gonna get some more in. Until November 25, Knight has that 20% off deal going on too.

@Grouse - After you mentioned the Ultra-Lite, I checked it out and really warmed up to it. I mentioned the Mountaineer being the good looking gun, but the UL isnt far behind. Really like that olive green stock.

As far as measuring BH209, can I use a regular black powder measurer and thatll give me the grains per volume? Or am I wrong?

They should be getting more... they made a huge order from Knight to get those prices...

Just out of curiosity check with your local dealers - I know both Spokane and Kennewick had both Mountaineers and ULites.

I am a hunter - I use a volume measure!

A lot of folks do weigh for that added security to insure a tighter group.

@Sabotloader - I emailed SportsmanWarehouse and asked how long until they get more in.

Now im really debating between the Mountaineer and Ultra-Lite. I really wanna make a bang when buying this gun so I want it to be the right choice. Cant imagine i can go wrong with either though. "Grouse" said he doesnt think the Mountaineer is all that great of a "hunting" rifle, and thats exactly what Id be doing with it, hunting. I do want whichever I get to be a very accurate gun, to at least 200 yards.

Kraig said:
@Sabotloader - I emailed SportsmanWarehouse and asked how long until they get more in.

Now im really debating between the Mountaineer and Ultra-Lite. I really wanna make a bang when buying this gun so I want it to be the right choice. Cant imagine i can go wrong with either though. "Grouse" said he doesnt think the Mountaineer is all that great of a "hunting" rifle, and thats exactly what Id be doing with it, hunting. I do want whichever I get to be a very accurate gun, to at least 200 yards.

The Ultralite with the aluminum bedding block will shoot with the Mountaineer at all ranges in my opinion. And the main reason it's just a better design. And much much better for hunting. If you wanna shoot paper I won't argue the mountaineer has an advantage and mainly cause it's so much heavier and maybe cause longer barrel but I don't think that matters at 250 yards and under

@ Kraig call ED's gun shop and ask for carlos 910- 692-7936 he sales a lot of muzzleloaders he my give you a good price on your gun and set it up for you as will just tell him what primer you what to us and he will set it up for you. good luck and the mountaineer or ulite will do you just fine.

Kraig said:

Personally I would not say the Mountaineer is not a great hunting rifle, I have two of them, they are a very good rifle, I even ordered one of them with a composite thumbhole stock versus the wood stock reducing the weight but some really prefer the wood stock, but I much prefer hunting with the ULite. It really is just a matter of personal preferences.

My hunting Mountaineer weighs 8#11 and my hunting Ultra Lite weighs 8#2 because I am using a composite thumbhole on it also. I also have a Ulite that I use during our ML season here in Idaho (our ML rules are really old fashioned although I really f=do not mind the open sight requirement - it is the full bore lead conical that bugs me most). I leave the lightweight Kevlar stock on it and it is a joy to carry around at 7#

This the Ultra-Lite rifle I use during regular rifle season

There are some real advantages to a factory Ultra Lite.

Nice looking guns SabotLoader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a1smokepole said:
@ Kraig call ED's gun shop and ask for carlos 910- 692-7936 he sales a lot of muzzleloaders he my give you a good price on your gun and set it up for you as will just tell him what primer you what to us and he will set it up for you. good luck and the mountaineer or ulite will do you just fine.

I just might have to do that, thank you.

I believe because so-few Knight dealers exist and most are out-of-stock, even Carlos at Ed's Place may not have a new one today.
If you want it immediately and want it new, you may have to purchase it from Knight. Allow up-to two weeks to receive it. Mine (Knight Vision) took about 11-12 days to deliver here in Michigan.

I would agree the Ultra-Lite is a better hunting rifle than the Mountaineer but i am a bit biased. Both of my favorite hunting rifles are light weights. Whichever one you pick, strongly consider the Bestill bushing plug. Its a great investment that will easily pay for itself over the life of the rifle.

GM54-120 said:
I would agree the Ultra-Lite is a better hunting rifle than the Mountaineer but i am a bit biased. Both of my favorite hunting rifles are light weights. Whichever one you pick, strongly consider the Bestill bushing plug. Its a great investment that will easily pay for itself over the life of the rifle.

I've read guys talking about the Bestill plug. What exactly are the advantages? I'd be interested for sure

Both are fine rifles. UL would be my choice due to size and weight. Fits my hunting style better. Both will shoot, and I agree...Bestill gave some real good starting out advice. Good luck w your new rifle, Knights are excellent for sure. :)

Latest posts

Back