CVA Accura MR QR breech plug project

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
I'm working with Lehigh Defense on making a quality replacement plug for this ML and those that share the same plug. There will be a loose powder plug and pellet plug. I won't rule out one plug for all uses but right now the plan is two.

I've had this ML for over a year now. A few people didn't like my opinions on it but that's normal. I actually love just about everything about it except the breech plug. It's poorly designed, and very cheaply made. The goal is to make a quality plug with better ignition, better steel, and no shims. We have an idea to set the head space right on the plug for a clean reliable ignition source with all powders including BH209 my favorite.

Obviously do to the current design, we are limited to what we can do. I wish we could totally change the plug but that's just not possible. I've drawn up a complete redesign but that would mean barrel threads would need to change and some other things.

I love being involved with making products better. And I'm far from perfect, so any help or suggestions from board members would be greatly appreciated. My buddy Sabotloader is not a CVA fan, nor does he own one. I still don't think he believes I do :D So we will need a few volunteers to test the plug when ready. But we are in the very early stages and Lehigh Defense is a very busy company.

I'll update this thread when any news happens. All and this was my idea, and in no way will I be compensated for it. I'm good friends with Dave at Lehigh and enjoy being a part of developing new products and being able to test them.

Future plans at Lehigh are as follows in no special order. Improving T/C QR plug. A new premium ML bullet made out of Copper. A Sabotless fast twist ML bullet for shooting paper. And my favorite, designing the ultimate Hunting Muzzleloaders!!

Making it with a carbide bushing for powder would be nice and last a long time. if you need a tester you can put me down I have a optima.

.800x.156 flame channel has proven almost perfect with tungsten carbide bushing.

Bushing is now available in .250 length and .375 length. Both are .250o.d.

.030 flash hole.

I'm very interested to see what develops. I have an Acura MR, and would be willing to be a tester.

Sure put me down for a tester as well. I have a Optima V2 Nitride, its just a range gun right now, still have to play with it more. The boss is gonna be out of town next month for a couple weeks so hope to make at least one or more range trips to do some shooting, depending on the weather.

I've got an Optima and would be happy to be a tester. THanks

Grouse said:
I'm working with Lehigh Defense on making a quality replacement plug for this ML and those that share the same plug. There will be a loose powder plug and pellet plug. I won't rule out one plug for all uses but right now the plan is two.

I've had this ML for over a year now. A few people didn't like my opinions on it but that's normal. I actually love just about everything about it except the breech plug. It's poorly designed, and very cheaply made. The goal is to make a quality plug with better ignition, better steel, and no shims. We have an idea to set the head space right on the plug for a clean reliable ignition source with all powders including BH209 my favorite.

Obviously do to the current design, we are limited to what we can do. I wish we could totally change the plug but that's just not possible. I've drawn up a complete redesign but that would mean barrel threads would need to change and some other things.

I love being involved with making products better. And I'm far from perfect, so any help or suggestions from board members would be greatly appreciated. My buddy Sabotloader is not a CVA fan, nor does he own one. I still don't think he believes I do :D So we will need a few volunteers to test the plug when ready. But we are in the very early stages and Lehigh Defense is a very busy company.

I'll update this thread when any news happens. All and this was my idea, and in no way will I be compensated for it. I'm good friends with Dave at Lehigh and enjoy being a part of developing new products and being able to test them.

Future plans at Lehigh are as follows in no special order. Improving T/C QR plug. A new premium ML bullet made out of Copper. A Sabotless fast twist ML bullet for shooting paper. And my favorite, designing the ultimate Hunting Muzzleloaders!!

You are correct it is really hard for me to believe that one!

Although the project certainly could be a very good one!

Sounds interesting, don't have a issue with my current plug and blackhorn but would give this a go.

Just an update. I ended up sending the MR to Lehigh defense. Dave has a good idea so far on the plugs. Hopefully will have some test plugs in January sometime.

"I've drawn up a complete redesign but that would mean barrel threads would need to change and some other things."

Grouse:
Please explain what you mean by threads having to be changed.

Thanks

halloflin said:
"I've drawn up a complete redesign but that would mean barrel threads would need to change and some other things."

Grouse:

Thanks

Not in the plans now, but I would shorten the length of the plug/threads in a complete redesign of the plug. Which would require less threads in the barrel as well. So obviously not easy and realistic right now.

But Lehigh in time is gonna build a ML. It looks like the first will be break open as well. We're hoping to correct all the mistakes CVA, Knight and T/C have done in there developments. Even though the Knight Ultralite is by far the best production ML ever made. It's still not perfect. The long flame channel stem was suppost to be eliminated. And the Ultralite was never supposed to share the the same bolt and breech plug as the Mountaineer. Bestils conversion gets it a lot better but not perfect. Maybe someday Knight will make it right??

Grouse said:
halloflin said:

Grouse:

Thanks

Not in the plans now, but I would shorten the length of the plug/threads in a complete redesign of the plug. Which would require less threads in the barrel as well. So obviously not easy and realistic right now.

But Lehigh in time is gonna build a ML. It looks like the first will be break open as well. We're hoping to correct all the mistakes CVA, Knight and T/C have done in there developments. Even though the Knight Ultralite is by far the best production ML ever made. It's still not perfect. The long flame channel stem was suppost to be eliminated. And the Ultralite was never supposed to share the the same bolt and breech plug as the Mountaineer. Bestils conversion gets it a lot better but not perfect. Maybe someday Knight will make it right??

Hopefully fast twist .45 too.

Make the plug seal on rear and front length wouldnt matter.

Curious what would you change on my plug for knight bolt gun.

The length is hard to reduce since you need a minimum volume for for flame channel. .800x.156 works well.

So primer pocket .230 +.800 channel + .250 bushing+ .187 lock ring. 1.467 is about as short as it can be.

Latest posts

Back