An Account of My First Muzzleloader Elk Hunt in Colorado......

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grouse said:
nocomike said:
some other details worth noting:

460 grain No Excuses bullet and 80 grains of Blackhorn 209 set off with Winchester 209 primer. Bullet DID NOT exit and I was unable to recover, despite my effort to do so.

Knight Mountaineer .50 with Williams FP and Lee Shaver globe for sights.

I learned a great deal spending time on this web site and am very thankful for the advice I received. I am certainly a muzzleloader hunter and shooter for life, now. :yeah:

First off, you should never need to worry about delays. Not sure whats wrong but i would suggest having your breech plug modified. Such a little expense, versus loosing a trophy like you got.

Congratulations on a great story and a wonderful hunt!!!

Thank you!

As for the 2 or 3 misfires I had while at the range, I attribute that to residue on my BP. I soaked the BP in Hoppes 9 and think that was why. I now give the plug a dunking in acetone after cleaning and have not had a misfire since. All the same, a couple misfires at the range translate into having that thought in the back of my mind every time I settle my sights on hide...I guess "please let this charge ignite" now preceeds "please let my aim be true" as I am squeezing the trigger. A muzzleloader hunters prayer, of sorts :wink:
I am thinking about one of Bestill's plugs before too long, as well.

Great story and great elk! Congrats!

Emrah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heck of a bull and a great write up. I do believe a DIY back country elk hunt like that would be the top of my bucket list.

One of the best hunting stories I've read in a long time. Love the attention to detail. Thank you for taking the time to share your story with us.

I appreciate all the kind comments. I surely enjoy reading about other members hunts and thought this one was worth sharing. Especially since I have learned so much from spending time on this site; not to mention personally pestering more than a few members about everything from cleaning to load development to DIY stock bedding via private messages (you know who you are :wink: )

Back