What is the difference between the Optima and the Acura?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnordwell

Reaction score
Was wondering what was the difference and is it worth the extra bills? I hunt and live out west. No 209 and no scopes. So will be looking at the West versions. Trying to decide if I should buy a new one or use my 54cal grey hawk side hammer one. Thanks again

Re: What I'd the difference between the optima and the Acura?

Optima has 1.000 barrel at chamber and non adjustable trigger.
Accura 1.100 barrel at chamber and adjustable trigger

I personally think the accura is worth. the extra cost fit , finish,feel.

The Accura has a grippy, rubber like texture on the entire stock and forearm. The Optima does not. The Optima barrel is 1' shorter than the Accura. The shape of the forearms are slightly different as well as the shape of the thumbhole stocks, with the Optima being slightly slimmer and having 1/2" less trigger pull. My Optima is slightly lighter than my similarly equipped Accura. As Bestill said, the Optima trigger is not adjustable but it is a really good trigger. As far as accuracy is concerned, there will be more difference in accuracy due to the ability of the shooter than to the ability of the rifle itself. Both rifles are extremely accurate.

If possible get the two to side by side, tap on the Optima stock then tap on the Accura stock. I for one do not care for the hollow sound you get by doing so on most ML these days. Just sounds cheap. Watch your price, my new Accura was listed for $608 on the CVA website, I bought it for $446 at a local gun shop.

The Accura also has more honing steps done to the barrel. I have the Optima and it is a good rifle with great accuracy. If I Had it to do over I believe I would buy the Accura MR. Almost a full pound lighter than the Accura. Balances better. Muzzleloader.com has the black out version on sale.

I can get the optima v2 for 297 locally in the nw package. And a Acura for 419 nw package. I own a 54 grey hawk now and am trying to get this shoot a newer modern bullet. If I can not I will be buying a new inline. Thanks for the help.

I'd also suggest considering the Acura MR (Mountain Rifle). It handles completely differently than either the regular Optima or the Accura. IMO, it's the best handling of the bunch. It certainly felt much better to me.

Accura MR stock and forearm have a nice rubberized overcoat that stays grippy in wet weather and is more comfortable than straight plastic on cold morning.Only downside to the Accura MR is no capability for iron sights, so it's not a good choice for hunting in certain states.

FWIW here is the Accura V2 & MR. Both are absolute tack drivers! We use the Barnes 290 gr T-EZ bullets with 2 pellets of T7.

IMG_2743.jpg

Not sure what bullet you are trying to shoot. I believe the .54 grey hawk has a 1:48 twist. Most of the new rifles have 1:28, and that twist in a .50 cal typically shoots about anything you can stuff in it. You may have a tougher time with the slower twist.

Re: the Optima/Accura... both are nice rifles, both are known to shoot quite well. It really comes down to what YOU want. Sounds like you have held both, not sure if one felt better to you or not. Sometimes that can be the deciding factor. The Accura is just a step up and a little more $. MR a stup up from that.

For a NW rifle... you could also look for a nice used/like new Knight MK-85. :yeah: They are super high quality, and drive tacks. :mrgreen:

Optima V2 is on sale at cabelas atm.

For $230 you simply cant beat it.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/home/cva ... 655880.uts

Parts to convert it to NW are about $35 directly from CVA and its a very simple conversion. Then you have both 209 and percussion.

If i was going for a Accura it would be the Mountain rifle version but you will have a problem with the open sights. The Optima is available with open sights. I would highly suggest shouldering them with sights and make sure it fits you. Not all the stocks work well with open sights.

Travis299 said:
FWIW here is the Accura V2 & MR. Both are absolute tack drivers! We use the Barnes 290 gr T-EZ bullets with 2 pellets of T7.

IMG_2743.jpg

That's fine but my state is iron sights only and no.11 or musket no 209 and no glass.
Thanks for the info though.

Travis299 said:

IMG_2743.jpg

That's fine but my state is iron sights only and no.11 or musket no 209 and no glass.
Thanks for the info though.

Sorry for the double post. As far as the grey hawk yes it has a 1/48 twist. I went out last weekend and it always shot the maxi balls really well. My dad has a mold for those. Tried the hornady great plains wasn't impressed. The 348 and 405 power belt shoot well as well. Thinking those are the bullet. Then tried some sabots and it was good as well at 40 yards all I can get to that day the Barnes sabots shot at a 1" but we're a pain in the butt to load gonna try a slightly smaller sabot and a 300 gr 45 cal bullet. Would like to get a inline but if my side hammer can shoot well with the bullets I want to shoot and if o can find them. 54 are hard to find here. Just getting some info. What about the traditions ultra light? Thanks again

So I took my son to go shooting. Went by sportsman's warehouse to grab some round balls for my 54 to load light loads for him to shoot. He is 10. While I was there I looked again at the online they have. Optima,accura and a knight something. I closed my eyes and shouldered it got comfortable and opened my eyes. All bit the optima I had to search for the front sight. The optima was there ready to shoot every time. So I guess the optima is the one for me. Any thoughts on bullets for it. I can only use musket caps or no.11. so no pellets and no buckhorn powder. I like the mz black so far in my grey hawk. Thinking thor bullets. Does anyone have pics of recovered thor bullets? Thanks again.

I have an Optima V2, and although I use 209 primers and currently shoot BH209, I have shot Triple Seven powder with the following bullet/sabots with good results in my rifle:

- Hornady XTP .44 cal 300gr with both Hornady and Harvester (crush rib & smooth green) sabots;
- Hornady .45 cal 300gr SST with Hornady Hi-speed Low-drag sabots;
- Harvester Scorpion PT Gold .45 cal 300gr bullets in Hornady and Harvester (crush rib & smooth black) sabots;
- plus both .45 cal bullets above seated in T/C Super Glide sabots.

I tried loads from 95gr (V) up to 110gr (V) of the T7 powder, and got good accuracy practically across the board. Your rifle may be different, but it seems most folks shooting Optima's (and other CVA models) experience similar results. These guns just seem to shoot everything you feed them! I did notice my groups began to open up at 100yds noticeably when shooting shorter 250gr XTP's compared to any of the longer 300gn bullets I've tried so far.

Have fun. I hope this gives you a couple bullet/sabot combos to try and others will have more I haven't mentioned I'm sure. Hopefully your Optima turns out to be easy to feed as mine has been so far!

I could be wrong but I thought CVA breech plugs could only use 209 primers. Do they make a #11 QR breech plug?

Tannhauser said:
I could be wrong but I thought CVA breech plugs could only use 209 primers. Do they make a #11 QR breech plug?
They make the nw legal ones that use musket caps

Latest posts

Back