209 conversion on original Knight Disc

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildcat2

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post, I am retirement age and don't type or spell well, but I bought a Knight 45 cal original disc that takes the orange discs,and want to convert it to shoot bare primer and Blackhorn 209 powder. I have tried to call ED at Knight many times and get no one to talk to. They sell some conversion kits on their sight. Do I need the one for $100 dollars or the one for $169 dollars. I bought this with the 1 to 20 twist to shoot some long range conicals and a of course hunt white tail with. Read a lot of posts here and really respect the main men here. Thanks.

I'll let others chime in on exactly which kit you need but you should be able to get it here from one of our members for a lot less than what Knight sells them for.

You probably wont like the answer but here it is....

You need the DISC Extreme Conversion Kit
https://www.knightrifles.com/product/di ... rsion-kit/
Note: This kit is REQUIRED if you intend to use your gun with our 209 bare primer breech plug (item M900044)

and the bare 209 primer kit.
https://www.knightrifles.com/product/20 ... rsion-kit/

Knight does not sell a kit specifically for older DISCs ...soooo....you have to convert it to an Extreme first. They easily could but they dont at this time.

Good grief I need both $269 , I PAID 299 for it new. It is on layaway, I wanted this set up for a more accurate set up. I will have 600 in it. Do you think this is the way to go for a fast twist 45? This will be my 4th muzz.as I sure do enjoy them. I have been reading this forum for 3 years now and really appreciate your knowledgeable posts, thankyou.

So got a question. Will a original disc firing pin assy not fit and work in bare primer bolt??

I have been talking to bestill and if I have to but a fair amount of money to get a bare primer set up and bh powder.I will go with his work and have it done right. When I was working fitting and welding it was many years building nuclear reactors for Navy ships,and there was nothing but 100% right.and I still like to keep it that way today. Thanks.

I wish I had a machine shop, I have 8 old style bolts and I think with the right tools you could convert the OLD BOLTS into a New Style. Here me out, weld a new nose on the front of the BOLT, then machine the BOLT STOP to open up and extract the primer rear ward. Just my .02 cents.

You guys are loosing me. With Bestils modification you can send him a super Disc bolt and firing pin assembly in an Extreme for example with no issues at all. You don't need to buy anything. He cuts off the front of the bolt face anyway. It's a win win for all super disc owners.

Grouse I think they are talking about taking the original disc bolt (orange discs) and using the innards with the new bare primer bolt handle from Knight...vs buying an extreme bolt conversion. If that actually works, that is a good thing. Sounds like it might, I have no clue.

Yes ,I would like to se this issue resolved, I am sure one with some machine equipment and weld on other style,I have seen work like that at the nuclear shop worked at ,we called them government jobs..yes and the one I am referring to is the original disk with the orange disk. I whant to shoot mine with some heavy conical for our large black bear here in pa. They got many 500 lb ones and one that was 700 this year.and where I hunt in the Allegheny national forest you can shoot 300 to 400 yards .

Sorry guys, poor information on my part. I sent Bestil a 50cal Knight Elite and he turned it into a fast twist 45. What i forgot was i sent him a bare primer Knight Ultralite/Mountaineer bolt.

But that being said, you could still use a Super Disc bolt and firing pin assembly if you got the primer holder machined on the face of the super disc bolt. Cause Bestil cuts off the nose of the bolt on his Knight conversions.

So it's my understanding the firing pin assy from a original disc orange will fit in a new disc bare primer bolt. I will be converting a original disc to bare primer and using custom knight bushing plug soon and will post results.

As for my custom conversion. I use a custom breech plug thats totally different than original so the bare primer bolt shroud which is in front of primer slot in bolt gets machined out to allow shroud to go around the 7/16 hex on breech plug. Just for clarification.

This setup is a full rebarreled knight.

Totally different than my custom knight breech plug which will work with bare primer bolt or red disc bolt with lehigh adapter.

Is this the full rebarreled job is what you will doing to mine I take it? Knight finally called me back after my very critic ileft,I guess they were right in the middle of those tornados and we're on limited phone service. I ask about a serial number on the other disk that was on the rack by the one I bought of 000758 that was on a blued barrel that the clerk's could not find a twist of barrel when I called and asked about also. She had no idea of that but only it was made in the years of 92 to 94. Anybody have a idea if this gun is a 1to 20 twist?

wildcat2 said:
Is this the full rebarreled job is what you will doing to mine I take it? Knight finally called me back after my very critic ileft,I guess they were right in the middle of those tornados and we're on limited phone service. I ask about a serial number on the other disk that was on the rack by the one I bought of 000758 that was on a blued barrel that the clerk's could not find a twist of barrel when I called and asked about also. She had no idea of that but only it was made in the years of 92 to 94. Anybody have a idea if this gun is a 1to 20 twist?

If it was a D.I.S.C. Rifle, it surely was not made in '92 to '94. Circa 1999 - 2000. If it was it an original, that uses the Orange D.I.S.C.? And only the low serial numbers such as that one in .45 caliber were 1:20 twist.

As to your original question, all you need is the Extreme/Elite Bolt, and either a Knight or Lehigh bare primer conversion. The conversion has a breech plug and an adapter that goes in the end of the bolt.

Thankyou you guys ,I try to tighten up on my spelling and review my posts before I sum it them. Great site here.never to old to learn.

Latest posts

Back