Return of a dear friend.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Earlier this year, I sold my 50 caliber Black Diamond XR to fund a purchase that later turned out... not so good. Everytime I went into that shop, there she was.
Couldn't take it anymore. Got her back for what I got for her.
So. Now I , again, have a matched pair of XR's. A stainless Super 45 (1-20) and a blued 50.
Life is good. The LORD smiles...
Hopefully I'll be smarter this time!

Good deal! :D

Question, how do you know if the .45 version of that gun is fast twist? I've seen them around now and then... But I don't know what separates the fast twist from regular twist (1:28? I think)

Black Diamonds have been one of the most accurate muzzleloaders Ive owned out of a bunch of different makes..Kinda wish I hadn't made a pistol out of my walnut stocked Black Diamond.

Would love to have had that walnut stock you cut for the pistol... Brought tears. Am looking for another walnut with triggerguard and screws for the 45.
My 45 was nib and had the forend wrap stating 1-20. Not sure when they made the switch. Mine can be a mite finicky. But what she likes she LIKES!
Like the Omega, TC made a mistake cancelling the Black Diamond series. It's rare to find someone who didn't like them.
A tight patch on a cleaning rod, mark and measure a full revolution of the rod. A 1-20 will make a complete turn in the length of a barrel. A 1-28 won't.
I'm happy that the plunger fired inlines never quite died. Accurate, durable and legal everywhere. Can't shoot Buckhorn 209. Boohoo. Black is better! No ignition problems. No special breechplugs or special primers. Pyro and Triple 7? If you have to... Swiss Holy Black. Awesome stuff. Well worth the price($32/ pound at Dixon's)
My plunger inlines are my only hunting rifles. They just get it done.

I really like the old plunger style guns, and one I really liked was the T/C Firehawk I killed a ton of deer with it and the Black Diamonds.

Confederate rifleman said:
Would love to have had that walnut stock you cut for the pistol... Brought tears. Am looking for another walnut with triggerguard and screws for the 45.
My 45 was nib and had the forend wrap stating 1-20. Not sure when they made the switch. Mine can be a mite finicky. But what she likes she LIKES!
Like the Omega, TC made a mistake cancelling the Black Diamond series. It's rare to find someone who didn't like them.
A tight patch on a cleaning rod, mark and measure a full revolution of the rod. A 1-20 will make a complete turn in the length of a barrel. A 1-28 won't.
I'm happy that the plunger fired inlines never quite died. Accurate, durable and legal everywhere. Can't shoot Buckhorn 209. Boohoo. Black is better! No ignition problems. No special breechplugs or special primers. Pyro and Triple 7? If you have to... Swiss Holy Black. Awesome stuff. Well worth the price($32/ pound at Dixon's)
My plunger inlines are my only hunting rifles. They just get it done.

If I get another fixed breechplug gun, it'll be a Lyman Trade Rifle. But right now I'm married to weather/waterproof ignitions found in break/fall-action inline MLs.

My hunting partner has the Diamond XR. He shoots 3" groups at 150 yards, using three 50-grain pellets and 240 XTP. We both hunt without deer blinds and gun rests. We sight our MLs in, in the same manner. When we shoot, it's offhand and leaning against a tree trunk, or when at the range, elbow on the table...... that's it.
Anyways, the same three pellet loads I've shot with my Omega, are all over the paper target map.

I can't take the three shot recoil anymore. :lol:

Picked up Herself today. SO good to have her home! Gave her a good cleaning. No surprises after 9 months on the rack in the back room. The LORD smiles...
Can't wait to get her all dirty!

Nothing like blued steel and walnut! Sweet piece. A .50 I assume? The 45's of any flavor seem rare in the Black Diamond series. Mine is a stainless Super 45 XR 1-20 and my 50 is a blued XR.

Back