Question for Knight UltraLite owners

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4gun-drill

Reaction score
I just picked up an UltraLite. I've wanted one for the past couple seasons but couldn't justify it until they posted their Black Friday sale. Anyway it showed up yesterday and my overall impression is good and I really like the feel and balance of the rifle. I probably won't get to shoot it until after the new year as I am waiting for glass. But I do have 2 questions that I would like to ask.

1). Knight included a fired primer with the rifle. Does anyone know what primers they use for this? It was not labeled. This may be a moot point as I will prob order a BP with a removable vent liner.

2). The stock fit on my rifle seems a bit off. I have tried looking at pics of other rifles but I'm still not sure if I have a problem or not. The issue is that the bolt release nut is pressed firmly into the cutout on the stock. I can't tell if the recoil lug is making good contact with the bedding block or if the detent is acting as a recoil surface. Has anyone else noticed this on their rifles? I'm going to shoot it first but I think I may need to open up the cutout slightly.

Thanks for the help.

On a new rifle from Knight I would call on the stock fitting issue. A new Knight muzzleloader is not inexpensive, the fit should be just about perfect.

The stock fit on my mountaineer is perfect for the bolt release nut. As a heads up through, I have a synthetic green stock.

4gun-drill said:
I just picked up an UltraLite. I've wanted one for the past couple seasons but couldn't justify it until they posted their Black Friday sale. Anyway it showed up yesterday and my overall impression is good and I really like the feel and balance of the rifle. I probably won't get to shoot it until after the new year as I am waiting for glass. But I do have 2 questions that I would like to ask.

1). Knight included a fired primer with the rifle. Does anyone know what primers they use for this? It was not labeled. This may be a moot point as I will prob order a BP with a removable vent liner.

It is a Winchester W209 primer... what does it look like is it really clean other than the nose or is the black residue on the nose and around the outside of the bottom portion of the primer? If it has the residue you are probably going to want to shim the BP to make it clean.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28388

Shimmed the primers can look like this and will help prevent blow back problems

[
2). The stock fit on my rifle seems a bit off. I have tried looking at pics of other rifles but I'm still not sure if I have a problem or not. The issue is that the bolt release nut is pressed firmly into the cutout on the stock. I can't tell if the recoil lug is making good contact with the bedding block or if the detent is acting as a recoil surface. Has anyone else noticed this on their rifles? I'm going to shoot it first but I think I may need to open up the cutout slightly.

Thanks for the help.

Remove the barreled action form the rifle - then put it back in - do not put the retaining screw in. Holding the stock and the barreled action together as if the screw was in stand the rifle on the recoil pad. then raise the stock and 1" or so off the floor/table and let it drop back to the surface and see if the bolt pin moves any at all. Then when you are sure the barreled action is seated all the way back install the retaining screw tightly. Then try moving the retaining pin out as is removing the bolt. If it is pinned again the stock as it might be call Knight - they will send you a new stock.

Thanks for the responses I appreciate the info.

The primer looks good and is super clean. I don't think there is any problem there.

I am still undecided if I have a problem with the stock or not. I would really prefer to shoot it first but my glass is enroute. I have looked it over some more and here are my observations.

1) It is only nut on the pin that is contacting the stock and the pin itself still moves freely.
2) The bolt handle is centered in its cutout.
3) The barrel is centered in the channel; I would think that if the pin was preventing the recoil lug from mating with the bedding block the barrel would be pulled to the side.
4) If I loosen the action screw and adjust the stock as suggested the nut on the pin will somewhat center in its cutout and hold the action (very) slightly forward. Once you begin to torque the screw the action moves toward the rear causing the nut to contact the stock.

Without shooting it, I think I'm ok at this point. The contact with the nut is minimal and if it causes an accuracy issue I believe that it can be relieved from the inside of the stock and would not be noticeable.

I am still curious if anyone else has noticed this on their rifle or if it's just mine. I will send knight an email and ask if this is normal, but I feel that it may be. Maybe a new batch of stocks?

I had a similar problem with my mountaineer .32 conversion. all my other knights are fine. I ended up replacing the whole detent pin setup, and it seemed to fix all the problems. Its been a while now, But that pin was hard to pull, and finicky with how it worked, for a while. I had it figured that I must have bent the inside of my detent pin while turning out the breech plug with a deep well socket and extension. I though the back of the socket probably caught the detent and bent it. Really, I cant say for sure, WHAT happened, or how, but since replacing the detent, everything seems to be back in order. the pin worked at first, then got sloppy and hard to pull. I remembered a time I had difficulty unscrewing the BP with fingers, and used the ratchet almost all the way. BP and threads all looked fine. when the detent started acting up, I just figured I had bent it. Im really still not sure, but a new detent seem's to have remedied the problems..

ugh my primers are coming out dirty as heck on my UL.. I need to come back and figure out how to fix it over the winter project.. whos got a link to the shimming tutorial? thanks.

deerlover said:
ugh my primers are coming out dirty as heck on my UL.. I need to come back and figure out how to fix it over the winter project.. whos got a link to the shimming tutorial? thanks.

I wouldnt even mess with shims. The standard breech plug will wear out fast. Your options are have it drilled and tapped for a ventliner then add shims, or have a new breech plug made and head spaced by Bestil. That is the best option in my opinion.

now available a true custom fit breech plug for all knight bolt action rifles with bare primer bolt or lehigh conversion bolt. No more shims, No more headspace issues, No more stuck cleaning patches on 45 cal and No more vent liners to replace. and 100% blackhorn compatible

I have been working with many very experienced knight bolt owners and have what we feel is a great design.

The new plug will be produced by Lehigh Defense which produces a total quality product. It will be made from17-4 stainless steel and heat treated plug will also utilize a tungsten carbide .031 bushing that will last well over 1,000 shots and beyond ..
Bushing is easily replaceable if ever needed .

Production run of breech plug will be made with overall length in excess of installed length for custom fitment.

Rifle owner will need to supply me with breech plug face sealing surface to primer face sealing surface dimension. To obtain proper primer crush (headspace).

Step 1:
Choose your preferred primer and measure primer length with dial caliper. Example .299

Step2:
Install primer in existing  breech plug and measure overall length from breech face to primer battery cup surface . Example 1.889

Step3:
Install breech plug in gun with same test primer . (Please remove firing pin assembly from bolt body for this step) next install bolt handle and close bolt completely.
Remove primer and measure primer length if primer is crushed by more than .002  example.297
You have the 3 dimensions in steps 1-2-3 to have your custom fit breech made and delivered .

If not proceed to step4.

Step 4:
Put primer back in bolt and take a feeler guage and place .002 feeler between rear of bolt and action where bolt handle contacts action when closed to headspace primer .
continue this process increasing feeler guage until you obtain.002 primer crush. 

So now you will have possibly 4 measurements.

Example
step1 = .299
step2 = 1.889
step3 = .297 Done if .299 go to step 4
step4 = .005 feeler guage installed you obtain primer crush measurement .297
Done ready to order your custom fit knight bolt rifle breech plug.
Plug will sell for $80 shipped to your door including tungsten carbide bushing and lock ring
If prefer you can fit plug yourself for $70 or send rifle to me for breech install for $125 which will include breech plug , installation and return shipping.

I highly recommend the $125 option.

Thanks,
BESTILL CREATIONS
[email protected]

Buy once cry once.

Strongly consider the Bestill plug. Its the most permanent solution out there and taking the measurements are not hard if you are already getting a little crush on the primer. It gets a tiny bit more complicated if you cant get a crush atm.

If it were me i would just send it to him if i was not getting any crush atm. That price is very very fair when compared to other custom plugs installed pricing.

Grouse said:
deerlover said:

I wouldnt even mess with shims. The standard breech plug will wear out fast. Your options are have it drilled and tapped for a ventliner then add shims, or have a new breech plug made and head spaced by Bestil. That is the best option in my opinion.

This is very easy to do if you want to tackle this problem.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28388

If you want to work through and/or have any problems send me a PM.

You can see the shim press fit and installed in the bottom of this primer pocket

InstalledShim.jpg

This picture shows the start of the process.

PP%20Shim%20Close.jpg

One last thing - since the rifle is new you could call Knight - contact Justin Perry explain your problem and I am sure Knight would fix your problem for you. Bad part you would need to send the rifle to them for the fix.

thank you sabotloader, I will study that tutorial, I think that is something I can manage, and I may take you up on that private message offer if i run into trouble.

funny thing is, I did contact knight, sent them a photo of the yote I got with the ultra light, and they just told me i was getting blowback as a result of a dirty breech plug, and suggested that i clean the flash hole better.

the rifle was not technically brand new when I bought it, I did buy it from a knight retailer shop, it was a "demo" model, so it was basically brand new.

Back