Developing a Load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowaboy

Reaction score
So I found a load for my accura. 290 grain T EZ over 110 grains of Black Horn 209 CCI mag Primer. I have a bunch of Hornady 250 grain sst bullets that i used to shoot in my triumph. I couldn't get the sst's to group out of the accura. I would like to shoot the sst's with the blackhorn 209. I bought some mmp hph 12 and mmp hph 24 sabot's but haven't had a chance to shoot any yet. Deer season started in iowa today so i don't want to change my proven load with the Barnes 290 grain bullets. Doe's any body have any suggestion's on what to try to make the sst's shoot an acceptable group with the new sabot's. Just trying to get some idea's where to start. Thanks

Your 110 grain charge sounds very reasonable. The SSTs seem to have good accuracy for many users. I would just try the new sabots and then maybe vary the powder charge a bit.

The 250 grain Hornady XTPs are worth a try too, in the different sabots.

When starting off checking a load, I like to get a good handle on things at 50 yards before going longer. I've seen shooters messing at 100 yards where they barely have a repeatable grouping to adjust off.

If you have not tried the short black Harvester you might want to the SST did not do well with the hph 24 or the Crush Rib but they with hold an inch group with the short black [under 300gr. ] Harvester in my gun.

Try 100 gn BH209 with THE 250 SSTs in either the HPH12 or HPH 24 sabots you have. If your Accura barrel is like mine, the HPH12s will be pretty tight with a .452 bullet and the HPH24 will be a better fit, although I do use the Harvester short blacks most often with .451 or .452 bullets. If you ever want to try something different, 2 of the most accurate loads out of my rifle are the 265 gn FTX with a Harvester smooth black sabot over 100-110 gn BH209 and the 325 gn FTX with a MMP orange sabot over 110 gn BH209. The Harvester crush rib sabots are very popular but my rifle shoots best with the smooth sabots for the loads that I use.

Short black harvester sabot and 100 gr.

But i would definitely choose to 290 tez over the sst for hunting.

Back