People with 700ml Boyds (or any Aftermaket) Stocks - Ram Rod Questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am wanting to put a wood stock on my 700ml (Not Ultimate) and I noticed the Boyds stocks do not come cut for a ram rod. Does anyone have advice on how to cut a groove in a stock for a ram rod? If I can learn how, then I could even use an ADL short action stock too. I know there are 3 piece collapsible ram rods available but that does not interest me very much. Thank you for the help!

Boyds would probably do that for a charge. It would be worth it to not risk an accident on a router table. There are other ways to do it by hand tools too.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

herschel conyers said:
Boyds would probably do that for a charge. It would be worth it to not risk an accident on a router table. There are other ways to do it by hand tools too.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

I emailed Boyds and they said they do not offer that service. I would be happy to pay someone to do it but I wouldnt mind trying it on my own either. I talked to my local gun smith who is huge into traditional muzzeloaders and he had never done it before.

Care to expand on the hand tool technique?

Just a thought could you get a ultimate laminated stock used or new?

Otherwise dremel tool and cut channel then bed a thin tube in ramrod channel. This takes a lot of work. Or a machine shop with mill do it in few minutes

Why does the ram rod need to be in a tube? Why can't it be in an open channel? It shouldn't touch the barrel if it is free floated and the recoil lug will hold it once it is in place.

the top rails on the forearm are pretty straight and even. With a steady hand and some witness marks on where to stop I'ts pretty easy to do on a table saw with a regular blade. Just a lot of passes and a few depth adjustments, then maybe chisel the last bit out if you even need to. usually if no bedding block you could get it all.

No, it doesn't have to be in a tube, many do though to stiffen the front end and/or for attaching the rod but your already set with the 700ML. The nut that holds the front swivel stud on may get in the way. A blind nut most likely would take care of that. Your factory stock is your template for removing material from the laminate stock. Your only critical cut is the front of the stock where the ramrod comes out

If you use an adl stock for a factory barrel, you will have to open the barrel channel up some to fit your factory muzzleloader barrel, not hard but takes some time, I use sockets and sandpaper.

I did a Prairie Hunter for my daughter, no ramrod though, we just carry a 3 piece ramrod in the backpack and set it up in our spot. We always remove the ramrod before shooting, it's just what I like to do.
IMG_8743_zpsgv7uzr0b.jpg

BuckDoeHunter said:
No, it doesn't have to be in a tube, many do though to stiffen the front end and/or for attaching the rod but your already set with the 700ML. The nut that holds the front swivel stud on may get in the way. A blind nut most likely would take care of that. Your factory stock is your template for removing material from the laminate stock. Your only critical cut is the front of the stock where the ramrod comes out

If you use an adl stock for a factory barrel, you will have to open the barrel channel up some to fit your factory muzzleloader barrel, not hard but takes some time, I use sockets and sandpaper.

I did a Prairie Hunter for my daughter, no ramrod though, we just carry a 3 piece ramrod in the backpack and set it up in our spot. We always remove the ramrod before shooting, it's just what I like to do.
IMG_8743_zpsgv7uzr0b.jpg

Good information thank you. What rifle set up did you buy that stock for? Short action ADL factory barrel then hog out the barrel channel?

It certainly doesn't have to be in a tube. But once tube is installed and bedded in place it sure looks nice.

If the Sides of the barrel channel are straight and even you could use a Dremel with router attachment and router bit to do it. I inletted a forend for a barrel once with this to do the majority of the rough work. If sides are not straight with the centerline of the barrel channel you would need to temporarily fix something for the edge guide to guide it.

https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-335-01-Pl ... attachment

I built a walnut stock for a T/C Omega from scratch (as it came the blank was about 2 1/2" thk and 6 1/2" wide) It's amazing what a person can do with a table saw, router and dremel tooles along with a lot of forethought. This was not my first gun stock but the first from a blank and I do checkering. Some kind of a nice wood/laminate stock can really change how a gun looks, feels and balance vs the synthetics. I used a router bit for the ramrod channel on mine once the barrel channel was cut with the router working off the top of the forearm of the stock and a fence that I clamped the stock to for keeping the router on centerline for the entire length of the cut making several passes until the desired depth was complete.

dozer_xj said:
BuckDoeHunter said:

IMG_8743_zpsgv7uzr0b.jpg

Good information thank you. What rifle set up did you buy that stock for? Short action ADL factory barrel then hog out the barrel channel?

Bolt act-blind mag-short act-factory barrel

I have 3 Boyds stocks for the Remington 700ML, each one has been good with fit and finish. I also get an upgraded recoil pad, the Pachmayr 1 inch is soft and so far, holding up very well.
The laminate stocks are a great upgrade.

ponsness said:
........ I used a router bit for the ramrod channel on mine once the barrel channel was cut with the router working off the top of the forearm of the stock and a fence that I clamped the stock to for keeping the router on centerline for the entire length of the cut making several passes until the desired depth was complete.

Yes, seems that would work good. It seems that spending plenty of time making a jig for the router, could make the actual cutting go well, and be almost easy. To me it is a fun sounding project.

Latest posts

Back