Huntsman Plug?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassman1986

Reaction score
HI Guys, New poster, new here, does anyone have new info on a replacement plug for my huntsman 50 cal with the 7/8" plug, running out of orange holders for the 209 and would like to replace the plug with a orange holderless version for the 209 primer. Thanks In Advance

bassman1986 said:
HI Guys, New poster, new here, does anyone have new info on a replacement plug for my huntsman 50 cal with the 7/8" plug, running out of orange holders for the 209 and would like to replace the plug with a orange holderless version for the 209 primer. Thanks In Advance

You need to get ahold of Busta. He used to make and sale plugs for that gun. Either way he could help you out and give you good information on it.

Metrics unlimited makes both the 7/8 and 5/8 plugs, or so they still did a couple months back when I got another spare . When I get home I'll try to get the contact information. It's the best thing since sliced bread for the NEF huntsman and sidekick.
Steve

This should help , call 1-800-638-7986 between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm EST M-F, you will get Metrics Unlimited. You will need to know whether it is a 5/8" or 7/8" breech plug. The cost is around 35 bucks shipped to your door/mailbox , I'd ask for Bob who can help you out or direct you to someone who can. You will never use the orange primer carrier again. Plus now you can use bh209 if you so choose.
If you need anything else let me know.
Steve

I've never sold any breech plug for a Huntsman, or for any other muzzleloader.

The Metrics Unlimited is one option., Precision Rifle would be another option. PR has a 35% off everything and free shipping on orders over $100 right now, so their normal high prices are in the fair price range. Might want to hurry if going that route, as the sale is for the holidays only.

Sale.
https://www.prbullet.com

5/8" breech plug.
https://www.prbullet.com/shop/products_ ... SKU=nef5.8

7/8" breech plug.
https://www.prbullet.com/shop/products_ ... ?sSKU=0578

The metrics plug is a proven winner where as the PR plug is fairly new. Busta have you heard any feed back on the PR plug over on GBO.

I didn't think you sold any plugs, glad you confirmed.
Steve

Thanks for the help guys, got my confirmation email today, the Metrics plug is on its way. I Cant wait to try it out. Any suggestions on powder charge and bullets? my old Gun was a Legend Arms 50 Cal. built in Deerfield N.H. on a NEF receiver. The Gunsmith who made them worked for Thompson Center for years and started his own Gun business. That Gun liked 80 grains RS and 44 cal 240 grain hornady xtp with a Thompson sabot. with a Winchester 209 primer. I might try that to start off with. Thanks again.

My heritage / sidekick likes 80-90 gr of t7 or bh209 with 300gr .452 xtp's, 350 fpb and 460gr no excuses. I use several primer but mostly W209.

Also very accurate with two pellets with the above bullets.
They sure are great guns.
Steve .

They are made for us NEF shooters by word of mouth . Busta and Nick Allen worked to create them.

sbuff said:
They are made for us NEF shooters by word of mouth . Busta and Nick Allen worked to create them.

It's actually Nick's baby, I just suggested a few things to make it a bit better. The o-ring, make the hex head deeper by reducing the flange thickness, clean up the tooling marks on top. Those are the ones he adopted. I couldn't convince him to make a flame channel and typical flash hole that could be converted to a liner. He kept the direct dump flash hole, which not unlike the OEM design, but without the leaky primer carrier. It is also Blackhorn 209 and Triple Se7en Pellet compatible, which the OEM is not.

I provided testing feedback from the 5/8" prototype and production breech plug testing in my H&R Sidekick. He sent me a 5/8 prototype in late 2008/early 2009 (winter) for testing. I also provided a NEF Huntsman and NEF Sidekick for testing his prototype 7/8" breech plugs. I met with him in February or March 2009 in Warren for function tests, so the Huntsman/Sidekick guys could have something better than what they currently had.

I have several custom breech plugs with flame channels and vent liners that I prefer over the MU breech plugs. However, there is no breech plug that will reliably light Blackhorn 209 with any 209 primer tested than the MU breech plug with o-ring installed. This includes the lowly 209-4 410 primer, all the reduced 209 muzzleloading primers, as well as Standard and Magnum 209 Shotshell Primers.

I did quite a bit of testing back in 2009 with these plugs, I'll see if I can find it documented here for some of the newer members. There might be a little nugget of information that someone will find useful?

Found it.

viewtopic.php?t=11904

Here is the one from the Huntsman/Sidekick Forum. It had more information from Huntsman/Sidekick owners.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/113-huntsm ... table.html

It's always useful Busta and I always enjoy reading it . To bad GBO banned me back then.

Maybe we can make it into a sticky on MML.

Happy New Years to you my friend.
Steve

sbuff said:
The metrics plug is a proven winner where as the PR plug is fairly new. Busta have you heard any feed back on the PR plug over on GBO.

I didn't think you sold any plugs, glad you confirmed.
Steve

Steve,

No, I haven't heard anything about the PR breech plugs. I haven't even shot the 7/8"plug I bought from them last year. I have function tested it though, and the fit is right on the money.

The 5/8" plug, as you know was the wrong one back then. It appears that he has finally got things right for the 5/8"plug now? He claims zero headspace in the description. I gave him all the dimensions to a tee, so I hope he got it right!

I was going to shoot both, so I could feel good about recommending them, but after the wrong bullet/wrong breech plug/North American Tour shipping debacle, I just lost interest.

It's too bad, because whoever makes his plugs for him, does an outstanding job. Oh well, water under the bridge.

Wishing you and your family a Happy, Safe, and Prosperous New Year!

I’m about to purchase my first muzzleloader, a NEF Huntsman 50 cal, pristine condition, ss bbl, synthetic stock. I’ve read good things about this gun here but definitely want to upgrade to the metrics Breech plug. Forgive the dumb, newbie question but how will i be able to tell if i need the 5/8 or 7/8” plug?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

They look identical from the top when installed. You will need to back the plug out to be 100% certain. If you have a pic of the rifle, or the two letter prefix for the serial number, I could tell you.

OEM H&R/NEF Breech Plugs. 5/8" on the left, 7/8" on the right.

Good luck with your new rifle, they are great shooters. .502" bores just like the Knight .502" Green Mountain Barrels. I've spent a lot of time behind the Huntsman and two Sidekick's, shooting Blackhorn 209 and other powders. This includes several OEM breech plugs, custom breech plugs, PR Breech Plugs, as well as the first to shoot Blackhorn 209 through the Metrics Unlimited prototype plugs. Both 5/8"and 7/8".

If you have any questions about the Huntsman, Breech Plugs, Blackhorn 209, just ask.

Congratulations on snagging one!

Attachments

• 303.jpg
    303.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,195
  • 301.jpg
    301.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 1,195
  • 294.jpg
    294.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 1,194
Thanks! I’ll be picking it up after thanksgiving and will check it then. Serial no. NU 200376

Bill

Busta were they all green mountain barrels ?

Can't wait to see pics of the new gun, you won't be dissapointed they are great shooters. It's a shame they don't make them anymore.
Steve

Bcoulter said:
Thanks! I’ll be picking it up after thanksgiving and will check it then. Serial no. NU 200376

Bill

2004 production, and will have a 7/8" breech plug. That was the last year for the 7/8" breech plugs.

The rifles are much easier to clean with the 7/8" breech plugs than the 5/8". The 5/8" threads will grab your patch, and are harder to clean out the threads in the barrel.

sbuff said:
Busta were they all green mountain barrels ?

Can't wait to see pics of the new gun, you won't be dissapointed they are great shooters. It's a shame they don't make them anymore.
Steve

The earlier ones were for sure, like my 2003 NEF Huntsman and 2004 NEF Sidekick. I can take a slugged bullet from the bores, and it us s perfect match to my 2004 Knight MHC bores. My 2008 H&R Sidekick looks a little different, but I don't have a Knight in that year to compare it to. They could have changed something? 2008 was after Remington took over H&R/NEF, so??? It was also the last year they made muzzleloaders, and now they stopped making the rifles and shotguns a year ago. They sold/scrapped all of the tooling, and now Savage is importing H&R/NEF clones from Red China. :?

this is the only picture i have so far

Attachments

• AD124CB7-488D-4CA8-AC89-27C783E2CA31.jpeg
    AD124CB7-488D-4CA8-AC89-27C783E2CA31.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 1,141
Back