New change for 2017 hunting season.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
Well unless something new comes along i want to try.

Im gonna strictly use my NULA. I love this gun with the exception of it being blued and the ramrod. Not sure what propellant yet, but im leaning towards BH209. But i do have the option of 4759 since this is a smokeless rated ML. Im not sure if Melvin is still making these, but i would love a stainless one with a 1/26 twist. Dont remember the reason, but he wouldnt make the ML'S in stainless several years ago. But i would buy another if he changed his thinking on that.

I'd be very interested in what bullets and bh209 worked best in your NULA. Right before Melvin Forbes did his dance with Colt I ordered a model 28 in 300WSM. At the time he was just starting to build his ULA model 20 muzzleloader. He offered to sale me a left handed version for $900 so I bought it. Serial# 17. I was mostly hunting in AZ and CO at the time so my Encore 50 worked just fine for me. So I stuck that ULA mz in the safe hoping someday to need an accurate scoped muzzleloader. Well luck and has come my way and this year (after 15 years of applying) I drew my elk hunt of a lifetime. AZ unit 9 early season mz hunt. After the shock and remembering my ULA (now NULA) in the safe i'm about ready to shoot it for the first time. My internet research clearly favors smokeless loads but AZ regulations require blackpowder or blackpowder substitute. BH209 seems the best option for starters. I would like to be accurate out to 250 yds for this hunt. Id love to hear your thoughts and experience on bullets, bullet wts, and velocity with the bh209 powder. Anybody else shooting an NULA please chip in your thoughts to help me develop a load. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

He was still making them last we heard but he don't list it on the new website. Last posted price was $1800. That's up from $1300. Dream rifle for me too.

No change for me, I'll be using my White M98 with the Super Safari stock and my 465gr conicals. If I didn't have to pay Uncle Sam so much this year I would have liked to convert my Lyman Deerstalker to a 45cal like you did. By the way Tom have you shot it much? I haven't seen any posts/pictures since you converted it.

Mine is one of the first 50 and im pretty sure Grouse's is also

This one Chuck custom ordered with a tiny bit more meat at the breach and a 26" barrel
NULA4.jpg

NULA-Bolt1.jpg

NULA2.jpg

blacktimber said:
I'd be very interested in what bullets and bh209 worked best in your NULA. Right before Melvin Forbes did his dance with Colt I ordered a model 28 in 300WSM. At the time he was just starting to build his ULA model 20 muzzleloader. He offered to sale me a left handed version for $900 so I bought it. Serial# 17. I was mostly hunting in AZ and CO at the time so my Encore 50 worked just fine for me. So I stuck that ULA mz in the safe hoping someday to need an accurate scoped muzzleloader. Well luck and has come my way and this year (after 15 years of applying) I drew my elk hunt of a lifetime. AZ unit 9 early season mz hunt. After the shock and remembering my ULA (now NULA) in the safe i'm about ready to shoot it for the first time. My internet research clearly favors smokeless loads but AZ regulations require blackpowder or blackpowder substitute. BH209 seems the best option for starters. I would like to be accurate out to 250 yds for this hunt. Id love to hear your thoughts and experience on bullets, bullet wts, and velocity with the bh209 powder. Anybody else shooting an NULA please chip in your thoughts to help me develop a load. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I have never shot mine that far but these are my thoughts. The 1-32 twist is not the best for longer high BC bullets. You needed either more speed or a shorter bullet. You also need a bullet that will expand reliably at longer ranges. Ive shot upto 130gr by volume in mine and upto a 325gr FTX. Recoil was VERY stout.

I would try a 300gr Parker BE and upto 120gr of BH209 or a 250gr Barnes TMZ and no more than 130gr of BH209. The TMZ might be a bear to get to shoot well and supplied sabots will be REALLY tight. You would likely need the Harvester Yellow Sabot and those might even be tight,

I am curious how this load recommendation worked. I am thinking you should be around 2200 ft per second. With a 300 grain bullet, you should be able to get out to 300 yards I am thinking

Back