Wind drift

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougs136Schwartz

Reaction score
I ran some numbers today out of curiosity. I wanted to figure a approx wind drift with a 5 mile per hour wind . I was comparing what I would consider a light bullet (270 Emax ) with a BC .378 (which is inflated because BC is figured at 2800 fps) at 2350 fps against a 530 grain conical . I guessed the conical BC at .375 at a velosity of 1250 fps . What amazed me is that if my numbers are close we are only talking about a 5 inch difference in wind drift at 500 yards . The Emax drifts 5 inches less . That's really not that much difference to me . The 270 Emax will drift aproximently 17 inches and 530 conical will drift 22 inches . That's not real world numbers and I'm guessing so don't hold me to this !. Am I close ?

I just did the emax only and it came out 17" also with a 90° 5mph wind.
Can't do the other right now. Have a couple steaks to put on the grill 8)

Dougs136Schwartz said:
I ran some numbers today out of curiosity. I wanted to figure a approx wind drift with a 5 mile per hour wind . I was comparing what I would consider a light bullet (270 Emax ) with a BC .378 (which is inflated because BC is figured at 2800 fps) at 2350 fps against a 530 grain conical . I guessed the conical BC at .375 at a velosity of 1250 fps . What amazed me is that if my numbers are close we are only talking about a 5 inch difference in wind drift at 500 yards . The Emax drifts 5 inches less . That's really not that much difference to me . The 270 Emax will drift aproximently 17 inches and 530 conical will drift 22 inches . That's not real world numbers and I'm guessing so don't hold me to this !. Am I close ?
So how did you do the BC for 270 emax

I used the BC off of Parkers site but it is figured at 2800 fps . I realize that's not correct . That is what really surprised me that the 530 grain bullet does not have that much more wind drift . I'm guessing on numbers . I may be off but I'm thinking in real life conditions a 530 grain bullet at say 1250 fps vrs a 270 Emax at around 2300 fps are gonna drift about the same at 500 yards with a 5 mile an hour wind ? I'm just guessing and will have to try things myself

Lol yep and one is almost twice as heavy ! I'm gonna have to see for myself but that is amazing if the case

Back