Accura breachplug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I have a new Accura v2. My intention is to use the Blackhorn 209 powder in it. Is the factory breachplug going to allow me to shoot the 209 or do I have to order the Blackhorn breachplug that is offered on the CVA site? I'll be using the 209 primers.

Are the new CVA rifles coming with the same flat faced pellet friendly breech plugs?

If yes, then buy a BlackHorn breech plug. The factory plug may ignite BH209 just fine until you have a nice buck in your sights then it will fail to work. This is from personal experience.

BlackHorn website also has a breech plug for sale
https://www.westernpowders.com/breech_p ... uct_id=147

It is good advice to purchase the plug designed to reliably ignite Blackhorn. Another option is to modify the plug that came with the rifle. Both the modified plug, and the Blackhorn plug, can be counted on to ignite Blackhorn always. The OEM plug may produce a delay, or misfire, when you least want it to.

CVA had a plug for the 209 available and its on its way.

We have a wonderful day today with temps in the mid 50's so a buddy and I took to the range for some smoke and noise. I've got an abundance of pellets in Pyrodex and t7 Got a bunch in the White Hots too, so I loaded up the new Accura and the shooting kit along with a few targets and played with the new rifle. Basically I wanted to get it on paper.

So far I am super satisfied with it. The first two shots told me where my bore sighting was off. A quick wet swab job followed by a couple dry patches, a few clicks on the vertical turret and I had the next three shots touching each other at 50 yards. I took two more pokes at the paper without any swabbing to see if I could be away with it, but nada. The 4th and 5th shots both fell lower and to the left. I did the wet mop and dry again and took three more shots after a couple more clicks on both turrets and bingo. All three right on top of each other in the bull, again at 50 yards.

I ran the 10 loads thru it and came home happy even if I didn't get out to the 100 yard mark. Next week one day after the new 209 approved plug arrives so I can torch some of the 209 powder. I'm going to start at 63 grains weighed [90 grains by volume] of the 209 grains using the 300 grain xtp in .44 caliber. That bullet gave me the tight groups today so I figure its a good place to start. I don't plan to go above a weighed load of 77 grains [110 by volume]. If I have to up the charge a bit I can go to the 84 grain max but I want to hang back from it if I can.

Thus far I'm darned happy with the Accura.

Latest posts

Back