Mixing powders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twild

Reaction score
I've got a handful or two of 777 FF and FFF, was thinking of just mixing them together. Would this be a problem? Not for a hunting load just playin at the range.

I wouldn't. Not necessarily because of safety, but unless you took pains to get consistent amounts of both granulations, accuracy and consistency would be poor.
What I do with partial pounds is as I weigh all my charges, I use the partial pound in my trickler to bring the charge up to full weight.

Two handfuls are what?..... a 1/10th of a jug maybe - if that?..... go ahead and mix them. Shake well and have fun at the range.

I doubt you see more than a inch or two difference on your paper target. Use the stuff up.

I chose a different method to rid myself of 2/3rds of a 777 FFF jug. I fed it to my lawn using a Scotts drop spreader...... seem to recall I set it at a real low number setting. Then I watered that backyard lawn for a half-hour and a two hour rain came the very next day..

I have mixed 3Fg an 2Fg T7 in my white shotgun with a dead squirrel to show for it. I use 3Fg in the White .451 an usually have a couple speed loaders left over after deer seasons. So when reloading the shotgun speed loaders I use that powder with the 2Fg squirrel loads. I can tell when I shoot off that load too as there is a bigger recoil usually and doesn't seem to hurt the shot pattern.

Thanks I didn't figure it would hurt anything. Probably if mixed I might have enough for 10 to 15 shots. Not for anything put but light paper killin plinking.

Back