Need Advice on .45 cal Disc Extreme for accuracy and hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normax

Reaction score
Howdy
I live in Nevada where inline 209 are used with sabot and .45 cal are legal. I have a Knight Disc Extreme (2002-2009) with little use to far but are planning to put in for cow elk. It had a thumb hole and fluted barrels.

I am looking at buying a 50.cal to shoot .45 in for easier loading with sabot.
I like the Bone Collector .50.
Is there a market to sell the Knight .45 and what might the market bear?
I want to move to the BP209 system for which I must invest more funds to keep the Knight.
Your thought about the Knight .45 for Elk
Thoughts about the break open system

Thanks in advance to all
Normax

You could shoot these big conicals out of your 45. The one on the right is 465 I believe.

The Disc Extreme should be a 209 Ignition unless it was converted to legal in Western States which don't allow them.

There would be a market if you choose to sell it

Nevada is a no scope ML state if im not mistaken. Bullets designed for long range with a high BC are not of much value really. A 45cal with a 400gr (ish) conical should do just fine for cow elk and it appears to be legal too. Many states require a 50cal minimum for elk but i dont think you have that restriction in Nevada.

Bullshop sells a few conicals in that weight range. In a 1-30 twist i would probably would not use the really large conicals. They might stabilize but then again they might not. It would be a good idea to slug your bore to see what size will work best for you. I prefer conicals to be around .001-.0015 over land size. That should be tight enough to not come off the charge but loose enough to reload a shot or possibly two without the need to swab.

Get some 330 size conical and the Bone collector and see which one you like for what. They are both good choices.

Hornet22savage said:
Being a Disc Extreme I'm not not sure it will handle a 465. Those are more for the original disc in 1:20. The extreme is 1:30.

You are correct with the twist rates, however, I've had great accuracy with the big lead out of my 1/30s. The smaller ones are in the 350 grain range I believe. Either one would be a great choice for a cow.

thanks to all
Here in Nevada we can use 209 and sabot but it seems from suggestions that non sabots/conical might give better accuracy with the BP209 or did I read this wrong. I am looking at keeping the .45 Disc Extreme based on shooting a wad with conical
Am I not understanding.? BTW we can use 1x scope if we are ocular handicapped (bling in one eye)

Thanks Normax

Normax said:
thanks to all
Here in Nevada we can use 209 and sabot but it seems from suggestions that non sabots/conical might give better accuracy with the BP209 or did I read this wrong. I am looking at keeping the .45 Disc Extreme based on shooting a wad with conical
Am I not understanding.? BTW we can use 1x scope if we are ocular handicapped (bling in one eye)
Thanks Normax

Check out the post Buffalo Ready.
1874 is using the heavy conical in a Knight 45 for his upcoming hunt.
FYI: BH209 website does not recommend heavy conicals such as what 1874 is shooting.

Western has BH209 load data for everything upto 45-120 shooting some big lead. Stay within that load data and a ML should make less peak pressure with a similar weight conical.

Now with that being said, there is no reason a powder like Swiss wont work just fine too. You wont have any worries about Swiss or Olde Eynsford igniting no matter what.

edmehlig said:
I believe Semisane has shot my 465gr conical with a 1-30" twist and got great accuracy with them.

Indeed he has and I have as well.

The original poster would do well to contact edmehlig for some of the 465s. These are what I posted pictures of above.

I actually have better accuracy with the 1/30 Extreme than the 1/20 super disc with that bullet. Not that I've had time to fully tweak the load. Both will shoot them very well.

Thanks so much

I will try and contact the gentleman LarryBud suggested. Does he have an email? The more I hear about this Disc extreme 45 the more I am inclined to take it hunting albeit without the BP209 system but with conicals. Am I hearing this correctly
Thanks
Normax

Get the bare primer conversion regardless of powder used. Its much cleaner and works fine with any powder.

Normax said:
Thanks so much

I will try and contact the gentleman LarryBud suggested. Does he have an email? The more I hear about this Disc extreme 45 the more I am inclined to take it hunting albeit without the BP209 system but with conicals. Am I hearing this correctly
Thanks
Normax

Here is the email address

[email protected]

Also remember you will need to get a vent liner for the plug....

https://www.lehighbullets.com/product/v ... ech-plugs/

Vent-Liner-for-Savage-MLII-and-all-Lehigh-Breech-Plugs-700x5251-300x225.png

1874sharpsshooter said:
GM54-120 said:
Get the bare primer conversion regardless of powder used. Its much cleaner and works fine with any powder.
Once you get it to where the primer don't stick and you have to pry it out all the time . :)

Of all the Lehigh conversions ive done only one stuck primers. It was the SuperDisc and only with Feds shooting a stiff load. Max load of BH209 and a sabotless 300gr bullet was flawless with a Win209.

Nomax, the Lehigh that you can get for $40 is a better setup. Easier to load the primer and the breach plug is made from better steel. Vent liners are better than a plug alone. A vent is only around $5-6 to replace. OEM Savage vents are even cheaper but dont last as long. A plug is over $20 when the flash hole erodes.

LarryBud said:
edmehlig said:
I believe Semisane has shot my 465gr conical with a 1-30" twist and got great accuracy with them.

Indeed he has and I have as well.

The original poster would do well to contact edmehlig for some of the 465s. These are what I posted pictures of above.

I actually have better accuracy with the 1/30 Extreme than the 1/20 super disc with that bullet. Not that I've had time to fully tweak the load. Both will shoot them very well.
I have had a slightly different experience as my 1.20 shoots the 465 great but my 1:30 does not . With the 1:20 I can get sub Moa at 200 yards . With the 1:30 I get way to much yaw

Im pretty sure if you run the numbers in a stability program you will find that a 1-30 is not ideal for a 465gr conical. You may need to shoot them so fast you are in "leading" territory. I know for sure upto a 360gr shoots fantastic in a 1-30. My best estimate is around 405gr (ish) will be about all it will handle under 1400fps.

Bullet weight and length need to be taken into consideration. A 405gr lead HP is probably going to be longer than a 405gr flat point.

Back