...Sat & Sunday's range report.........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer

Reaction score
8)
Beautiful day temps in the 60's and not a cloud in the sky. Because it was so nice the range was mobbed. Couldn't get a 100 yard bench so I had to settle on 70 yard shooting. Tomorrow I'll get a 100 yard bench.
IMG_2272_zpsqxe0xiyz.png
IMG_2274_zpsw9lswmm9.jpg
IMG_2278_zps2lahmjaf.jpg

First target I shot 4 different weights of bullets on Sat and you can see how they turned out.
Top left are Barnes Spit Fire TEZ's 290 grain
Top right are Mono's 250 grain
Center are PT GOLD 300 grain
Bottom left Parker B/E's 275 grain ( old bullets )
Bottom right Parker B/E's 275 grain ( new bullets )
The rifle at this point is only bore sighted. Had to remount it after the season to get a little better eye relief.
MIDDLE TARGET......... I shot 4 bullets. Mono cut bull, Parker's, Barnes or a Barnes in a EZ Load sabot and the one on the left is the PT Gold
Target on right ........... Barnes TEZ's and Mono' s
Rifle is still and will remain bore sighted. I never adjusted the scope for any of the shooting over the weekend.
All my charges are weighed to 78 grains BH 209. I use the red sabots for the Mono's, blue sabots for the Barnes and the Harvester EZ-lOAD smooth sabots for the Parker's and PT Gold's. I like the FIOCCHI 606-209 PRIMERS.
I don't swab the barrel at all. I left it dirty and shot with it on Sunday from the 100 yard bench ( Middle and target on the right ). I do remove the breech plug and ream it out so the fire channel stays clear or else you get carbon build up.
The rifle was good enough to hunt with on Saturday but I like to tighten the groups up like on Sunday. The tighter the better. Maybe it's the old Marine in me to get the best you can from your rifle. Between the my hitch in the Corps, 23 yrs carrying a gun and wearing a badge and 11 yrs working along side the Marshal's Service shooting has become second nature. I like when them holes touch.
Remember, shooting is 3% physical and 97% mental. Knowing your rifle and getting the most out of it helps out a great deal also.

Ray.............. :yeah:

Very nice shooting Ray. Nice to see the weather cooperating.

Well Duh! :d'oh!: I did not bother to look at your Sig line! :oops: Still nice shooting!

Magnum,
The middle target and the one on the right is from Sunday at the 100 yard bench. I like tight groups. Some shooters settle for groups in 2 or 3" circles but I like them holes touching. Accuracy and consistency is the game plan in my book.

hawgslayer said:
Magnum,
The middle target and the one on the right is from Sunday at the 100 yard bench. I like tight groups. Some shooters settle for groups in 2 or 3" circles but I like them holes touching. Accuracy and consistency is the game plan in my book.

:yeah:

Back