How does the .45 compare to the .50 at 200 yards?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don
I shoot M/L all the time at the DSC. I'm usually down at the far end of the rifle range shooting a flinchlock or a capper although now I'm practicing at 200 yds. for the in-line state championship next month. I'm usually there on weekends and Monday nights from May through sight-in season. I may be able to help you. I'm pretty familiar with mid and long range shooting. Paul AKA "X"

X-RING1 said:
Don
Paul,

I have been waiting for May to arrive since the range closed for the season. I plan on making myself a fixture at the DSC rifle range. I am shooting a very consistent TC Strike. It is a fine weapon and the only problem is the nut behind the gun not the nut in the gun.

I need to work out my powder/projectile thing and increase my effective range by 150% or so. I also plan to take the NRA RSO course later in May.

Don

donparadowski said:
ENCORE50A said:
donparadowski said:
My "problem" is that where I am hunting I have clear shooting from 40 to 260 yards. Deer almost never show up at the 40 range but they like coming into view to feed from 125 to 260 yards. Sometimes I just cannot coax a buck to cross the field for me so I am forced to mentally waive good by to him. If I were using my 7.62, I'd drop him where he is standing but that is not the case. I'm either going to have to learn to speak deer better or figure out how to shoot farther.

260yds is within the capability of your existing rifle. However IMO the charge and bullet must change for dependability. I've taken many whitetails at 200 and out to 250+, with Encore platform rifles. These new modern inline rifles, regardless of a .45 or .50, are much more accurate and at range than most will give them credit for, or will ever shoot them. Yes, there is a distance limit for hunting, which more or less has everything to do with bullet energy. Of course shooter ability, along with quality optics.
Changing from your current choice of load and bullet would be a very good start. I'd suggest that if you want to continue shooting using pellets, I'd change to T7. I'd also stuff a Barnes 290gr T-EZ down the barrel on top. If you were to shoot loose propellant, then BH209 would be my "go to" propellant at 110grs volume, still pushing a 290gr T-EZ bullet. Learn to dial your scope setting for range. Start out learning to shoot 200yds. Shoot 200 until you gain full confidence with that distance. Only then would I suggest you try shooting out to 300, which IMO would be the maximum. If your rifle will shoot 3-T7 50/50 pellets and a 290gr Barnes accurate at 100, the charge/load should have no problem at 260. Same if shooting BH209.

As I see it, it is simply getting the right powder/bullet combination to be able to reach out that far. I am still dialing in my weapon. Right now any deer that walks within 125 yards of me is dinner. Simply put, I want to reach out further and touch them. I have no problem shooting a couple hundred more rounds this year getting it the way I want. Thanks for the insights.

Does anyone know of any data comparing T7 to 50/50 pellets?

donparadowski said:
X-RING1 said:
Don
Paul,

I have been waiting for May to arrive since the range closed for the season. I plan on making myself a fixture at the DSC rifle range. I am shooting a very consistent TC Strike. It is a fine weapon and the only problem is the nut behind the gun not the nut in the gun.

I need to work out my powder/projectile thing and increase my effective range by 150% or so. I also plan to take the NRA RSO course later in May.

Don
Paul,

If all fails, will you be at the DSC on May 20th (the RSO class)?

Don

donparadowski said:
GM54-120 said:
donparadowski said:
cache_895194815.JPG

Wow ! What did they do to those bullets? Run them through a pencil sharpener?

That was funny! :D

You have to have a fast twist gun . A 1-20 or 1-18 . Or the bullet needs to be 300 plus grains . Kyle Pittman makes a 325 and 350 grain Accumax that may work very well in a 1-28 . Kyle has told me that he has guys shooting his 300 grain plus bullets very well with sabots . I honestly can't say how well they would work in a 50 with sabots because I have never tried . I shot them very well out of my .45 Hankins with a 1-18 twist . They are expensive anything that is custom is . But so are Power Belts at your local Wal Mart . Lol no comparison . Hope this kind of clarifies what I meant by my statement .

X-RING1 said:
Don
I shoot M/L all the time at the DSC. I'm usually down at the far end of the rifle range shooting a flinchlock or a capper although now I'm practicing at 200 yds. for the in-line state championship next month. I'm usually there on weekends and Monday nights from May through sight-in season. I may be able to help you. I'm pretty familiar with mid and long range shooting. Paul AKA "X"
Paul,

I will be at the DSC rifle range to meet up with the muzzleloaders there & then. Will you be there?

Don

I wish to go on record:

Paul A.K.A. X-RING1 and other fellow members at the DSC have helped me achieve satisfactory shooting patterns at 200 yards in time for the 2017 deer season.

I hunted many times this year and saw only two squirrels and a hawk. The squirrels were a particular nuance for they insisted on making a racket every time I was there. No barking but a lot of running around and making mayhem. I guess I know how to sit still and fade into the background. But not one deer, but you never know...Going out again tomorrow

Back to the guys at the DSC…Thanks all. I really appreciate all the good advice you gave me. I am going into the hospital soon for major repairs on my shooting shoulder and I should be in fit form just as the weather turns warm in 2018.

Latest posts

Back