Nosler Knurling

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Well today was suppose to be a shooting day! It has been really nice the last couple of days the snow here at the house was completely gone and I was really hoping that I could get into the rock pit for some shooting...

Mother nature - had a big hick-up planned! It rained during the very early morning which was not a problem at all - there was even a bit of sun this morning about 8 am. Things were looking really good. THEN

20170304_113325_resized.jpg

So I changed missions! This last Knight Super DISC that I got has the largest bore of the 3 Super DISC's that I have. I am really interested in shooting full bore projectiles from the rifle. I have some .4515 Sierra 3 grain bullets, tried them in the bore and they slid right to the bottom of the bore. Next bullet up was a Lehigh/Knight .452x250 Bloodline. The bullet would start in the bore very easily but the factory knurling would not pass through the crown without pressure - so this bullet could be a real possibility! Next I tried some Nosler .451x250 gr. HP's. They would also drop to the bottom of the bore. They should be a really good candidate for knurling and shooting'

I then spent some time knurling up 10 of the Noslers. I also pulled out 10 Bloodlines put the bullets together with the Noslers and a bunch of shot cards for my next shooting trip. I am really hoping to have a really fun shooting trip when ever that might be....

I also have some Lehigh 45 cal. full bore bullets that Dave ran a few years back. I pushed them through a .452 sizing die and will try them also

Re_Sizing.jpg

Here are a few pics of the project...

Composite.jpg

Those Nosler Sporting Handgun 250s are great for sabotless. Not that great for hunting with full power loads but its very easy to get them to shoot. The jackets are fairly thin and its a pure lead core. I would highly recommend them for people wanting to shoot sabotless in a 1-30 or 1-28. They should stabilize without a problem.

GM54-120 said:
Those Nosler Sporting Handgun 250s are great for sabotless. Not that great for hunting with full power loads but its very easy to get them to shoot. The jackets are fairly thin and its a pure lead core. I would highly recommend them for people wanting to shoot sabotless in a 1-30 or 1-28. They should stabilize without a problem.

I picked up this box of 250 Nolsers for the specific purpose of shooting full bore. One of the driving factors was that they were less expensive than the Bloodlines and could serve the purpose of recreational shooting. Another reason is that they will also load in a second Super DISC I have - the Bloodlines will not, but the Barnes 451x250 XPB's will. Both of them need a very small amount of knurling to work in the second rifle. The third rifle a new Mountaineer 1-20 - not so much it is really tight. The Barnes 451 is about perfect for it.

I routinely roll Hornady .452 300gr XTP's between to files to impart a light knurl (then place them in an MMP short sabot). I find that it eliminates fliers from my Knight D.I.S.C 209 .50.

hakx said:
I routinely roll Hornady .452 300gr XTP's between to files to impart a light knurl (then place them in an MMP short sabot). I find that it eliminates fliers from my Knight D.I.S.C 209 .50.

I give a light knurl to all bullets that I shoot in sabots. That means 40X50 - 45X50 - 40X45. It made a big difference in group size and pretty much eliminated flyers. The only failures so far has been my efforts at 35X45 shooting and that has been pretty miserable. Anyone with 35X45 success please chime in. Thanks. W

GM54-120 said:

Scott absolutely correct but I bet that with the older Nosler Partition .451x260. Now these are an excellent hunting bullet! Just wish Nosler had not discontinued them, but I still have 3 boxes of these

Nos_Part_451_Knurled.jpg

Nos_Part_451-260.jpg

They load full bore and are accurate out of my larger bored Super DISC

I dont think ive ever tried the Partition sabotless but i do know they are harder to resize then the Sporting Handgun bullets. The few pots i remember from others trying didn't appear they shoot as well as many other bullets. I still have a box laying around here somewhere.....i think.

They certainly would be excellent if you can get them to shoot.

Back